Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Heinlein Recce (updated)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great looking rifle, I look forward to hearing how you like that Burris. I have been researching optics for my coming up build, and a 1-4x seems an okay way to go for a general purpose type set up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nice looking build. Also, love your screen name.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4gery View Post
    Nice looking build. Also, love your screen name.
    Thought I might just drop this here:

The Shoulder Thing that Goes Up

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Great source of inspiration, and very well detailed writeup. Should be a very flexible tool.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ROFLMAO!! I've seen that clip before and her comment about the "shoulder thing" always makes me smile, but I missed this part about the barrel shroud until now-

Reporter "Do you know what a barrel shroud is?"
    Carolyn McCarthy- "I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is- I believe it's the shoulder thing that goes up."

Priceless

PS- I suppose we ought to add "assemble an AR" to Heinlein's List
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-15-11 at 23:22.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    hahaha on the signature addition, If you don't mind I am going to steal that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would honored
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-16-11 at 00:27.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoulderthinggoesup View Post
    Well, I would hate to give you my opinion until i have used it for at least a few months. But my initial impression is very, very good. I like it much more than the acogs I have used and except in very close quarters it seems to be as easy/fast to use as a red dot. In really bright, full texas sumer days the illumination goes a bit dull, but the etched reticle (black) is easier to use in the day imo. Weight compared to a red dot is a bit of a minus.
    Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after you've used it a bit more.

Thought I might just drop this here:

The Shoulder Thing that Goes Up
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    ROFLMAO!! I've seen that clip before and her comment about the "shoulder thing" always makes me smile, but I missed this part about the barrel shroud until now-

Reporter "Do you know what a barrel shroud is?"
    Carolyn McCarthy- "I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is- I believe it's the shoulder thing that goes up."
    Reporter "No, it's not."

Priceless
    Wow that was hilarious. I love the reporter's response right as the video ended, which I added.

OP I've wondered why you chose that screen name every time I see a post of yours.
    Last edited by SteveL; 12-16-11 at 10:19.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

I truly believe in, and try to live this. I wanted a rifle that had the most flexibility possible. I am not in a swat team or military unit where the disadvantages that come with a person's specialization can be planned for and covered by the advantages of another person's specialization. I need to be able to adapt to any situation/goal, and do so possibly alone or with little/unprepared help. I wanted a rifle that would work well as a mid range sniper/ambush piece, but also be quick and effective in a CQB situation, should I find myself in one. The Recce type build seemed a natural choice for the maximum flexibility in weight, range, and role. I am also getting ready to start shooting in 3gun competitions, so a Recce would fit well in that role as well.

My first priority was reliability, followed by a balance between accuracy and minimizing weight where it was prudent.
    I love this! Great stuff--thanks for the thread.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Deleted, sry
    Last edited by Shoulderthinggoesup; 01-15-13 at 13:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Mcarthy
    I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is- I believe it's the shoulder thing that goes up
    Quote Originally Posted by Serialmonagamist
    There's no need to shoot a bear over a bluff charge, for the same reason you don't shoot every douchebag you see in a Tapout shirt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast