Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 6520 requesting info.

Feedback Score

Colt 6520 requesting info.

Hello to all from Belgium.

I have the opportunity to buy a Colt 6520 and will appreciate your help.

I am sure someone can tell me when Colt start the production of that carbine?

Can it be possible to find the production year with the serial number?

Does they made some change/improvement during the years and which one?

And for those who own one, what's your opinion about her as an all purpose carbine, training course, target shooting, "practical shooting"?

Pics are welcome.

Thanks.
    Marc.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This should get you started ...

http://www.colt.com/law/ar15a2.asp

As you can see, the 6520 (aka Government Carbine) is a current production carbine, with all of the usual A2 features. It differs from what we tend to call an "M4-type" carbine in that it has a lightweight barrel profile, narrow handguards and non-removeable carry handle, but functionally it is the same as the LE 6920 "Law Enforcement Carbine," or most any other current Colt AR-15.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be especially well-suited for all of the purposes that you've asked about, as this was the standard AR-15A2 carbine configuration that ruled the civilian market for many years before stepped-barrels and removeable carry handles became all the rage.

It's a rock-solid baseline AR-15 carbine that will serve you well.

Chief

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have one that I enjoy very much, but mounting optics is not as easy as it is with a flat top.

If you are going to be using the irons exclusively, it's a good choice, and it's a very lightweight carbine. Trijicon makes the Compact ACOGS which will mount on the carry handle, and you can also get a "goose neck" mount which will allow you to mount an Aimpoint or Eotech forward over the handguards.

I don't know what the availablity is like in your part of Europe, but if you have the opportunity, buy it.

Is it chambered in .222 Rem. to get around the regulations regarding military calibers for civillians? I know that Colt chambered the SP-1 in .222 Rem and FN built the FAL in .300 Savage for the European civillian market.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hello to all from Belgium. I have the opportunity to buy a Colt 6520 and will appreciate your help. I am sure someone can tell me when Colt start the production of that carbine? Can it be possible to find the production year with the serial number? Does they made some change/improvement during the years and which one? And for those who own one, what's your opinion about her as an all purpose carbine, training course, target shooting, "practical shooting"? Pics are welcome. Thanks.
    Marc.
    The Colt experts among us can give you the historical data. There are also some good reference books out there. If you call Colt for a production date, anticipate a charge. There have been some minor tweaks over the years.

The 6520 is an outstanding basic carbine. Standard issue with my employer, and many others. They arrive properly manufactured and assembled, run and run well. Recommended.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They started being made in the mid 1980s. It might have been 1987.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Templar, any Colt AR-15/M16 are very very hard to get here Europe as well very expensive when you can find one. You don't know how lucky you are guys!

This is the reason why I hope I may buy her as soon I will have all my paperworks done... in at least three month.

F.N. (I am leaving at 200m of the factory) never produce the FAL in .300Sav. all which are in that caliber have been rebarelled by Gunsmiths because during past we where allowed to buy military firearms without paperwork if in semi auto and "civilian" calibers!

The Colt SP-1 .222Rem. was made by the past mostly for France, but we saw few in Belgium. Here the .223 was rechambered in .222Rem. for the same reasons.

The 6520 I wish to buy is perfectly stock and still in 5,56NATO.

Thanks to all I really appreciate.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I own two, and I happen to think the 6520 is the best thing going from Colt. I'd love to see them make it in a flattop, but (depending on parts availability over there) you can just buy a stripped flattop and swap it out.

This rifle started life as a NIB 6520. I bought two at the same time, left on mostly stock, and modified this one.

Feedback Score
    Hi Rob,

I was already thinkink about a flat top and few other mods. like on your 16".

I did read your post about her and 11" sister. Great job... As usual.

But first the gun!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I love my 6520. Light, handy, and plenty accurate. You can build them up like Rob's, or keep them clean and simple like mine (I added a TD grip and an ambi safety). Either way, it's a great gun.

I think it's kind of funny the shooters in Europe chase after Colt's, and the shooters in America lust after AUGs, HKs, AKs and all kinds of other foreign stuff. You always want what you can't have.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast