Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Range Report...a few LMT monolithic railed ARs

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    porider....I think it has to do with the particular way I have the camera angled, and the amount of natural filtered light that I like to snap pics under.

First attempt at 1k+....specifically 1038yds

Here is the steel afterwards...if you'll note my hits are the smaller ones, my pals with the Krieger 26" barrel and superformance 168gr. ammo are the larger ones..

Here are some fragments recovered from that distance...

The ballistics at this distance are simply incredible. Here is the ballastic chart for the load I was using today which was Hornady 168gr. Amax.

LMT MWS 16" CL/Rem 700 w. Krieger 26" @ 1038yds
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-02-12 at 23:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dude, that is just badass beyond words.....I'm going to range 1k yards tomorrow even if I have to buy a new rangefinder and then return it when i'm done... just kidding

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks friend-o....Next time the footage should be significantly better due to the fact that my bullet trace/trajectory was way above the 25x 1080p cam's FOV.

The only footage that we captured in the bullet trace was some superformance 150gr. SSTs being launched outta my friend's 26" Krieger. Even his superformance 168gr. amax rounds had too much drop/trajectory to capture. Will have to put the target at the bottom of the picture from now on out.

Your gonna love your MWS out at 1000yds....it kinda ruins you in terms of having fun shooting various other ways

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Trident, very nice shooting buddy. Those Amax bullets are real nice. Mark and I have shot some of our best groups with the 178's. I dig the idea of doing all this with a 16' CL BARREL.
    Very impressive.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-03-12 at 08:32.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks pappa, I'd love to get a hold of some of those 178gr. Amaxs if only I could reload myself. I've got a at least 600-700 pieces of once fired nothing but premium brass waiting to be reloaded. Let me know how those 178s work out at 1k when you guys get a chance. So nice to compare notes with others who own MWSs and shoot to 1k with them

Today's session had pretty terrible weather conditions in regards to amt. of sunlight and heavy winds at both the muzzle and the target....so it canceled out all bang..........ding noises, as well as being able to capture any bullet trace. Nonetheless I thought I would share the footage with those who care to watch it.

I did nail two 5" x 10" water jugs @ 994yds after banging a little steel...

LMT MWS 16" CL @ 994yds.....steel/jugs of water

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Once again some nice hits. We made some cheap wind flags using $2.00 wood stakes, string and orange duct tape. They help a lot.

That wind kicks our ass. In the middle of the dessert, it changes constantly. Fun to watch and shoot though. I really like how your shots are against a hill, that really helps read your misses. Way too often, we miss, watch the trace, see the desert sand splash, and still can't tell where we missed. Its all pert of the fun.

Send me 50 or 100 pieces of brass, some 178 AMAx's/ and Mark said he would work the magic for you. I'll sponsor the powder. Send me pm if you want some laser beams. Markus is wicked good at rollin.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Awesome Trident. Man I ordered that 17"x30" CMP steel because i was very concerned i wouldn't be able to hit my 12"x20" (same target in your video) at 1k but you don't seem to have any problem with it. Thats amazing...At least I'll have something a little more forgiving for my first LR experience.

Most likely I'll be shooting 1k this week. I haven't had much time to work up loads so I'm just going to stick with the load that has shot the best so far (even if it was only @100 yards) which is 43.9 Varget, 175 SMK. The problem is that I don't have a chrony so i have no idea what the velocity of this load is and therefor I cant plug it into any ballistics calculator. I'm such a newb to "doping the scope" etc. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of elevation (in MOA) I should be adjusting my scope with 175 SMK's if I'm sighted in at 100 yards? I just need something to get me near the target. Thanks

Pappa, do you think 43.9 Varget is hot enough for 1k shooting or do you think I would substantially benefit from bumping it up to 44.5 or so? Have you ever shot loads that light at 1k?
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 02-14-12 at 01:50.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Once again some nice hits. We made some cheap wind flags using $2.00 wood stakes, string and orange duct tape. They help a lot.

That wind kicks our ass. In the middle of the dessert, it changes constantly. Fun to watch and shoot though. I really like how your shots are against a hill, that really helps read your misses. Way too often, we miss, watch the trace, see the desert sand splash, and still can't tell where we missed. Its all pert of the fun.

Send me 50 or 100 pieces of brass, some 178 AMAx's/ and Mark said he would work the magic for you. I'll sponsor the powder. Send me pm if you want some laser beams. Markus is wicked good at rollin.
    Freaking awesome brother....I'll certainly take you gents up on that offer, I'll send you guys 200 pieces of brass and a box or two of the 178gr amaxs. You guys keep 100 pieces of the brass for your trouble and send me 100 rounds of laser beam material Once I pick up the bullets, I'll shoot you a PM. Again, thanks for such a fantastic offer. I'll also be sure to send a pre-paid UPS shipping label.

Great tip on the flags....me and my shooting pal have been meaning to do just that since day 1 out there. We need to do that asap. We have some wicked mirage out there though that allows us to read the wind pretty well. The problem is as you already know is that the wind is the killer at 1k......but even more of a killer is having totally different winds at both the muzzle and then at the 1k steel target. It's certainly a science that I've yet to master....the most frustrating part of it is the total ON/OFF effect that it has as well. If it would just blow constantly, We'd be all good.

I agree that having an area that allows nice splashes is certainly advantageous for what were trying to do. That's why we lowered the target setup down that hill a bit...the first time out there it was at the crest of that hill, so when we went high, we couldn't get any kinda feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    Awesome Trident. Man I ordered that 17"x30" CMP steel because i was very concerned i wouldn't be able to hit my 12"x20" (same target in your video) at 1k but you don't seem to have any problem with it. Thats amazing...At least I'll have something a little more forgiving for my first LR experience.

Most likely I'll be shooting 1k this week. I haven't had much time to work up loads so I'm just going to stick with the load that has shot the best so far (even if it was only @100 yards) which is 43.9 Varget, 175 SMK. The problem is that I don't have a chrony so i have no idea what the velocity of this load is and therefor I cant plug it into any ballistics calculator. I'm such a newb to "doping the scope" etc. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of elevation (in MOA) I should be adjusting my scope with 175 SMK's if I'm sighted in at 100 yards? I just need something to get me near the target. Thanks

Pappa, do you think 43.9 Varget is hot enough for 1k shooting or do you think I would substantially benefit from bumping it up to 44.5 or so? Have you ever shot loads that light at 1k?
    Here ya go pal, this should get you close....this is using BH's gold 175gr. SMK through a MWS 16" CL

Elevation: 736ft.
    Temp: 55 F
    Wind: 5mph
    Zero: 100yds

Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-14-12 at 02:19.

Feedback Score
    Great write up. I'm absolutely lusting over the Atlas bipod but I'm going to need to slap together a bolt gun to put it on first. $$$

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks pal, I really can't say enough positive things about that Atlas V8....if you'll note in the videos above during the 1x footage you can really see how that Atlas with the forward leg positioning actually dips the rifle straight down and then returns it almost to the exact same positioning prior to firing.

I'm using a little "trick" I've developed by attaching a small "dowel" rod at the end of my shooting mat which allows me to load the bipod off of. I highly recommend doing this for anyone who shoots LR prone off a mat.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast