Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Range Report...a few LMT monolithic railed ARs

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Damn, thanks for the chart brother. Under "come up clicks" is that for 1/4th MOA or Mils? I guess I could just take the 460 inches drop and divide it by 10 (for 1,000 yards) which would give me 46 MOA. Does that sound right? oh, actually that would give me 184 clicks which is damn close to the 176 listed. So it seems the "come up clicks" are listed in 1/4th MOA and maybe it's a little different because it's the true MOA measurement instead of using 100 yards as MOA.

This could be way off as i've never used these charts before and even when I shot @555 yards I just guesstimated a holdover.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Awesome Trident......You never fail to impress!

I'm working on getting a 1,000 yd place to shoot. Hopefully soon.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Thanks pappa, I'd love to get a hold of some of those 178gr. Amaxs if only I could reload myself. I've got a at least 600-700 pieces of once fired nothing but premium brass waiting to be reloaded. Let me know how those 178s work out at 1k when you guys get a chance. So nice to compare notes with others who own MWSs and shoot to 1k with them

Today's session had pretty terrible weather conditions in regards to amt. of sunlight and heavy winds at both the muzzle and the target....so it canceled out all bang..........ding noises, as well as being able to capture any bullet trace. Nonetheless I thought I would share the footage with those who care to watch it.

I did nail two 5" x 10" water jugs @ 994yds after banging a little steel...

LMT MWS 16" CL @ 994yds.....steel/jugs of water
    Can you say green with envy? Nice shooting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Trident, well I finally got to push my MWS past 100 yards. I went out today in some of the nastiest weather this year. There wasn't much wind but it was raining hard on top of the snow and ice that was already on the ground. All of it was melting and it was so soggy/muddy that I couldn't make it up the hill to my shooting area in my 4WD. I had to hike it The blue tarp that I shot from last summer was covered in mud and ice so I just went prone on the soggy ground. Needless to say, I was covered in mud and soaking wet.

Anyway, I'm not quite set up for the 1k range so the most i could get today was 556 yards on the 12"x20" CMP steel. I used your chart posted above to gestimate my adjustments but since i was shooting 165's today I subtracted a few clicks. Well I got very lucky considering I got a hit on the 1st shot. After that it just got boringly easy. It was interesting to see how the .308 "throws" the steel around compared to 5.56. There's no comparison.

The best part of the day was seeing my new MWS take on pouring rain, mud all over, slush and snow from the rounds that i dropped and it just kept on chugging. I wish i would've got a pic of it before i wiped it down. She was dirty.

Anyway, it was a very uneventful yet still fun day at the range. I finally got to shoot prone and I think I did a decent job loading the pod for the 1st time since I could see my shots hit. The only problem I had was my scope fogging up with my breath.

I can already see that 556 yards isnt enough for this beast

ETA: I forgot to mention that i fired some round at dusk (target was barely visible) and the fireball that shot out the left and right side of the Surefire break was pretty neat even though it's not a good trait to have.
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 02-14-12 at 23:13.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the kind words Scoby and Duece.....your gonna love shooting at 1k Scoby, it's right up your alley

Fantastic report Dirtyboy...and my apologies about not stipulating what the clicks represented. You already figured out though as each click = 1/4th MOA.

I'd agree that the difference b/t .223 and .308 on steel is night and day....I finally had to use red loctite on my bolt/hook attachment. I'd also agree that it's boringly easy to put the rounds on target at 500-600yds. That will certainly change at 800-1000yds Keep us updated on your quest towards the 1k mark.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Scoby and Duece.....your gonna love shooting at 1k Scoby, it's right up your alley

Fantastic report Dirtyboy...and my apologies about not stipulating what the clicks represented. You already figured out though as each click = 1/4th MOA.

I'd agree that the difference b/t .223 and .308 on steel is night and day....I finally had to use red loctite on my bolt/hook attachment. I'd also agree that it's boringly easy to put the rounds on target at 500-600yds. That will certainly change at 800-1000yds Keep us updated on your quest towards the 1k mark.
    I take it you have MOA turrets on your NF?? I have the MIL dot recticle on my NF 2.5-10x32 and am considering getting NF to swap out my turrets for MIL. I forgot to ask what recticle you are using so I suppose it is moot to ask if you are going to change them as well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I changed one of my NF scopes to MIL MIL with zero stop. I was running both, but when you start getting past 500 yards, MOA slows you down. Many people think in terms of MIL is easier. I am still learning but I do prefer it.

Its quite spendy to get it done.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Dirtyboy/Deuce/Trident/Pappabear,

How many of you are running FFP optics? Or SFP optics?

I saw that Nightforce now has FFP optics. I don't recall them having them a while back, but the FFP models that they now offer are quite a bit more than the SFP models. Not that the SFP models were cheap to begin with.

I currently have a Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 on my bolt gun. It's my first and currently only optic, so that's what I'm learning on.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have both. And I have a Bushnell FFP Optic that is GREAT for the coin. They are introducing more each day. They have a new line 34mm tubes that are top notch. I have a 24X scope on my LMT, FFP with Green Illum. Its bad ass and half the coin.

On most scopes, Going Mil mil cost more, FFP cost more and Illum cost more. So the Bushnell is a steal IMHO.

I have several NF and several Bushy's.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    I take it you have MOA turrets on your NF?? I have the MIL dot recticle on my NF 2.5-10x32 and am considering getting NF to swap out my turrets for MIL. I forgot to ask what recticle you are using so I suppose it is moot to ask if you are going to change them as well.
    In my 2.5-10x24 I have the compact mil dot ret...and MOA turrets. While it's certainly not ideal, I bought this optic at my local funstore and it was the last 2.5-10x24 that they would ever see according to the NF rep. For that matter it was one of the last 2.5-10x24s that the civilian world would ever see...as now they are rarer than hen's teeth.

drck1000....my NXS compacts are SFP, and it doesn't bother me in the least as when I use my holdovers and such at distance, I'm always at 10x. If they had higher magnification than just 10x than it might be a problem...for example shooting with wicked mirage conditions meaning that I would want to power down from say 15x, 20x, or 25x in order to alleviate some of the mirage effects.

I have two goals with this particular MWS:

1.) Create a MWS config. that is....(which is what I'm currently doing and nearing the end of.)

a. sub moa capable
    b. 1000yd capable
    c. sub 12lbs in weight

2.) Create a MWS config. that is dedicated for precision and LR shooting....upcoming goal for this MWS.

This will include....

a. Magpul UBR stock and slash's heavy buffer
    b. Nightforce NXS F1 3.5-15x-50 with mil/mil and zerostop
    c. 20" 5R SS 6.5cm barrel / 16" or 18" 5R SS .308 barrel

Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-15-12 at 16:52.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast