Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Range Report...a few LMT monolithic railed ARs

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would never have expected that kind of accuracy out of the SGK!

Keep up the EXCELLENT work, Trident! I am sitting here on my lazy fat ass just consuming and absorbing the info for near-future use.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks guys, getting some positive feedback from folks who are real AR guys is all the motivation I need in order to continue sharing my results

"The sweet is never sweet, without the bitter".....

Everything I report about can't be positive given there isn't any rifle that is perfect, and so I figured I would share the few, minor issues I've experienced thus far.

1.) The bolt release is quite difficult to release, being a lefty compounds this significantly as well. Damn I miss my beloved IWS lowers on my 5.56 rifles with the miracle ejection side bolt release mechanism....wow has that thing ruined me.

2.) I'm finding this rifle to be very loud at least to my particular hearing. My MRP CQB 10.5"/BAC2.0 never once bothers me. Oh yeah the recoil on that full power Federal Premium ammo is vicious.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Trident,

Thank you for the very informative thread.

I am following it very closely.

An LMT MWS will be my next purchase.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    The first few times you fire a significantly higher recoil round you'll come home with bruised shoulders and feel sore there. You'll get used to it, and then the 5.56 stuff is going to feel like a red ryder.

Everything is magnified with the 308 including cheek to stock fit, head position relative to the scope, recoil, everything has to be beefier, ect.

Its probably going to take 500-1k rounds to get into a good grove with the gun and feel comfortable with it. If you're used to shooting a lot 5.56 its quite a leap in terms of being able to go at it with the 308 for a few hours.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Jsop....with your tastes in rifles, I'm pretty sure you could give a nice home to a loving MWS
    Ah man you just fed my ego... Now im in the market for one

Now the fun part, Weeks of research.

You should get some kind of kickback from LMT. Because of you I have stripped CQB upper for when I can build an SBR when I move out of state.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Trident,

Have you considered running a break, or battle-comp on the MWS?

Also...how do you feel about the SOPMOD stock for a rifle like this? Do you think a magpul PRS would be a worthwhile addition? I guess that's really just a matter of how specific a role you want the rifle to fill though.

Awesome post btw, and beautiful .308!!!
    Last edited by MikeCLeonard; 12-20-11 at 20:53.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    RD62...I appreciate it, and let me know if I can test or report back on something specific that has particular interest to you.

That goes for anyone as well. Feedback is one thing that I do very much appreciate in the threads I start on here, and enjoy any and all suggestions, or even critiques I receive.

I have been hoping to see some informative replies come to your thread in regards to a precision 6.5CM MWS in the semi auto precision sub-forum, and wish I could reply but can't offer very much other than my opinion. My plan is to just learn on the fly with the MWS 6.5CM setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The first few times you fire a significantly higher recoil round you'll come home with bruised shoulders and feel sore there. You'll get used to it, and then the 5.56 stuff is going to feel like a red ryder.

Everything is magnified with the 308 including cheek to stock fit, head position relative to the scope, recoil, everything has to be beefier, ect.

Its probably going to take 500-1k rounds to get into a good grove with the gun and feel comfortable with it. If you're used to shooting a lot 5.56 its quite a leap in terms of being able to go at it with the 308 for a few hours.
    Thanks for that reply, it absolutely nailed it.

I know I can't shoot this rifle for more than an hour. After 50-60rds both times out, I really feel that this rifle has beat the shit out of me. This morning was rough, one of the few times that I could make myself quite before I wasted ammo....so many times I get that precision fatique, and still try to shoot a few more groups or rounds than I know I'm really capable of. It's amazing how not only your strength slowly goes down, but your concentration and patience. One of the coolest aspects or to some sickening aspects is just how much everything starts to break down, first it's the muscles, then it's the concentration, then it's the patience, etc.

Again, I'm really glad you posted that as I should have been man enough to fully fess up in my previous reply.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    RD62...I appreciate it, and let me know if I can test or report back on something specific that has particular interest to you.

That goes for anyone as well. Feedback is one thing that I do very much appreciate in the threads I start on here, and enjoy any and all suggestions, or even critiques I receive.

I have been hoping to see some informative replies come to your thread in regards to a precision 6.5CM MWS in the semi auto precision sub-forum, and wish I could reply but can't offer very much other than my opinion. My plan is to just learn on the fly with the MWS 6.5CM setup.

Thanks for that reply, it absolutely nailed it.

I know I can't shoot this rifle for more than an hour. After 50-60rds both times out, I really feel that this rifle has beat the shit out of me. This morning was rough, one of the few times that I could make myself quite before I wasted ammo....so many times I get that precision fatique, and still try to shoot a few more groups or rounds than I know I'm really capable of. It's amazing how not only your strength slowly goes down, but your concentration and patience. One of the coolest aspects or to some sickening aspects is just how much everything starts to break down, first it's the muscles, then it's the concentration, then it's the patience, etc.

Again, I'm really glad you posted that as I should have been man enough to fully fess up in my previous reply.

Yes theres nothing to be ashamed of with it. 5.56 is on the bottom end of recoil so a 308 is a big leap. The first time I went out with my MWS I shot a couple hundred rounds and not only did my shoulder bruise badly but I had quite the headache.

Look at the big bore shooters. 20rds through a 416 is no joke. Yes it helps to be used to the recoil of certain rounds but everything certainly takes getting used to. One way to ruin a potential new shooter is to give them a gun way out of their league like these idiots giving women new shooters 300 magnums, 12GA with 3" loads and 500 handgun calibres and then laugh when the gun bites them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Jsop....that last rifle you listed in the EE made me drool all over the keyboard Please keep me updated on the MRP CQB SBR. I hope you join the MWS club and if there is anything I can do to help your research along please feel free to hit me up with it.

Mike....thanks pal, your one of the few that I know to be a true believer in the LMT monolithic rails ARs.

Great questions...especially on the last one considering I spent the 20min. driving home from the range this morning asking myself that exact question....even down to the PRS.

Here is the way I feel on the stock issue...as a few others now have mentioned, the fitment between the LMT MWS RE and the SOPMOD is even better feeling than the long touted normal LMT RE/SOPMOD complete assembly. The combination of the normal LMT RE and SOPMOD literally makes the stock feel "hydraulic"...however, there still is a little play in the stock. With the MWS SOPMOD assembly, you have the exact same "hydraulic" feel, yet it locks down in a position with almost zero movement...damn near UBR territory. This I really like given it's a compact, fully adjustable stock, yet has a really nice cheekweld for precision shooting, and more importantly locks almost completely down in position.

That's the positive, the negative...quite simply, its beating the hell outta my shoulder and it really needs much more padding than what it has.

I never have had an issue bumping the latch on the SOPMOD with my support hand while shooting prone, however many have and this has to been considered on a rifle that will be shot in prone position often.

In regards to the PRS....I really gave it an honest weighing over this morning as I really, really want a damn monopod on this rifle. I hope to see a UBR strike plate type mod with a small rail section on it to mount a monopod. That would be my end all stock for this rifle. It will end up with a UBR no doubt once it goes into a dedicated precision role. Ultimately the PRS is to big for my tastes, I don't need the adjust cheek piece, or the fixed nature of it, and certainly don't need all the weight, but most certainly do need it's ability to mount a monopod.

I got a BABC sitting on my workbench currently that I had difficulties getting on the other night caused by what I think was a bad crush washer. I'm really now on the fence about not using it at least at the moment because the particular report on this rifle to my ears is quite harsh already. This is very strange thus far to me, as I have never had an issue with rifles, and having them hurt my ears. So I'm still thinking on this issue, and will let you know as soon as I figure out what I'm going to do.

ETA: Belmont's last reply about the "headache"...It starts almost immediately upon firing it both times out. Even my teeth hurt. This "headache" is the exact reason I'm on the fence about the BABC or any other comp.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 12-20-11 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    You need a suppressor to knock down the loudness and recoil.

Woe to us lefties, my EMC doesnt have the left handed bolt release either.
    Last edited by RustedAce; 12-20-11 at 21:41.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast