Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Range Report...a few LMT monolithic railed ARs

Feedback Score
    Thanks,Trident for all the info.I have a LMT CQB 16" MRP and love it !! I have not had the chance to put many rds through it yet but my nephew just got back from his 2nd tour in afghanistan (he's in the MARINES) and we plan on having some fun. I thank all of you for all you do for M4CARBINE.NET and the U.S.A. SEMPER FIDELIS !!!!
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    --George Washington

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It's my pleasure brother, I appreciate your nephews service very much...and he certainly deserves some quality trigger time with a MRP when he gets back home

It's also great to hear from another very happy MRP user, any man that owns a MRP is a friend of mine for sure. After putting almost 500rds on this MWS now, the MRPs feel heavenly to shoot.....they just "kiss" off your shoulder so nicely. The MWS donkey punches off my shoulder
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 01-16-12 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post

ETA: RD62....if you decide to go direct through LMT which really gives one the ultimate security in terms of knowing their gonna receive exactly what they paid for, PM and I will give you some contact info. You can indeed order a MWS direct through LMT with any barrel that is currently in the barrel lineup avail. for purchase at this time(u.s. civilians that is)
    I'll take you up on that sometime after tax time Trident.

Thanks!
    Last edited by RD62; 01-16-12 at 16:46.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Damn you and 40ARpent getting brand new Rock 5R SS fine china....

Damn me nothing....at least you're out shooting your MWS, which is much more than I can say for myself. And now with work behind me, it'll be at least another couple weeks before I can fire the first round through the Rock 5R SS....I'll be late season duck hunting this coming weekend.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I really wish I had your new barrel sitting already in front of me, beyond just wanting it for my long term game plan with this particular MWS, I would have countless hours of pure fun taking both the 16" CL and 16" SST to the range, and extensively comparing them against one another in order to satisfy the enormous curiosity I have now in regards to this particular comparison. I really hope that the Rock 5R SST will be significantly more accurate in terms of quantifiable differences in groups sizes, however that is one helluva tall order I'm finding out. You have one heck of a fun project ahead of you when ever you have the time.

I guess wading out in freezing swamp waters, and pretending like your a duck tickles your fancy more than letting that badass MWS of yours wow you at the range

I would like to see if you ever have the time a great comparative pic depicting the 16" CL side by side with the 16" SST. Is there any contouring difference b/t the two...if not, then the pic won't really be necessary.

Lastly, I've been meaning to get your opinion on running your NXS 2.5-10x24 on your MWS. I have never used an optic anywhere close to as much as I have this particular optic. It spent loads of time on the MRP Recce in which I believe it's perfect for and it was org. bought for, then it's been used to shoot steel @ 600-775yds on several occasions with my MRP CQB 10.5", and now it's being extensively used on top of a .308 MWS in precision capacities. Its my all time favorite optic for ARs, and I still don't think anybody has truly matched what it does in such a small, compact package, however it's SO unforgiving at 10x. I'm certainly used to it by now after a few years, but every time out it reminds me of that unforgiving nature when using it at 10x...be it either 100yd accuracy/ammo evals, or ringing steel out to 900yds on the MRP Recce.

I wouldn't sell it for a million bucks now that its a piece of unobtainium. I also love the fact that it's been used so much by the Seals to dirt nap bad guys
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 01-16-12 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I guess wading out in freezing swamp waters, and pretending like your a duck tickles your fancy more than letting that badass MWS of yours wow you at the range
    Born and raised in the swamps of deep southeast Louisiana, it's in my blood...what more can I say?

I would like to see if you ever have the time a great comparative pic depicting the 16" CL side by side with the 16" SST. Is there any contouring difference b/t the two...if not, then the pic won't really be necessary.
    I'll give that my best shot. My photog skills suck, so I may have to resort to a mic and written text. LOL

Lastly, I've been meaning to get your opinion on running your NXS 2.5-10x24 on your MWS.....SO unforgiving at 10x....
    Truth be told, at my level of inexperience, I'd probably be better served with a lesser optic. No way in hell I'm getting rid of it, but I really jumped into the deep end with this scope, and have a steep learning curve ahead of me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What do you guys mean by "unforging"? Are you talking about the eye relief??? I've never used one I'm just an interested newbie.
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 01-17-12 at 12:10.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

A shooting pal is priceless....

Well folks, I popped the MWS's cherry in terms of LR steel shooting this afternoon. The problem was that I had three things that I have been really wanting for some time all happen at the same time...so due to my extreme excitement level, I hardly could do anything but grin ear to ear.

1. I finally found someone to share this awesome activity and sport with, which will facilitate so much more that I/we can do in terms of pushing the limits of our rifles, and our shooting abilities. While my new pal isn't an AR guy yet at least, he is one helluva shooter, and extremely knowledgeable on precision LR shooting. He just goes about it with high dollar bolt rifles, whereas I go about it with MRPs and MWSs. I think both of us bringing something different to the table will ultimately be a good thing as I will be exposed to tactical LR bolt rifles, and he will be exposed to LR precision based AR rifles.

2. After 2yrs + of dreaming not only about owning a MWS, but specifically shooting the MWS at the extreme edges of the AR .308 performance envelope, I finally made it all a reality today. Ultimately I will transition into the 6.5cm MWS true blue LR rifle, however today was the official start in my long range odyssey with this rifle. This has been greatly expedited and enhanced by the third thing that came together on this day for me.

3. A perfectly tailored long range locale with distances up to 1300-1400yds. While I love my other LR locale due to it's picturesque views, it just doesn't have a perfect shooting lane for distances past 1000yds. More over, the shooting lanes are in wide open terrain with no shelter from wind. This new range with a small amt. of work on our part in terms of setting up leveled firing positions, and then bringing in a few new steel target setups for various distances, will yield damn near the perfect locale in which to explore LR precision with our rifles.

I can't believe I even landed some rounds outta the 35 or so that I shot given how jacked up I was at just having this whole setup come together all at once. We also were shooting on way to extreme of a gradient as both of us had one of our legs kicked literally 90 degrees into the hill's slope as our shooting mats were sliding down the damn slope. We won't ever be doing this again, but hell...it was a great learning experience for sure.

So we each only fired about 30-35rds. a piece, and you guys already know the specs on my rifle, but here on the specs on the straight laser beam bolt I was shooting next too:

Remington 700 Action(Blueprinted/Trued by Coleman Rifles)
    Krieger 26" 5R SS .308 w/ a #17 contour
    HS Precision stock/M24 Vertical Grip w/ adjust LOP and Cheek Weld.
    Leupy Mark 4 8.5-25x50 w/ Vortex Cant bubble level, Base and rings are Leupy as well.
    Harris bipod

And here are our two rifles playing nicely alongside one another

Youtube video from this afternoons session...did I mention that we had almost perfect conditions for capturing bullet trace, we even captured a few frames of the elusive bullet glint.

Having fun with some .308s on LR steel....MWS 16" CL and a Rem 700 w. Krieger 5R 26" SS
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 01-19-12 at 00:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im probably hallucinating but in that last picture it looks like your MWS has a UBR on it. Awesome range, day and rifles!!! I'm going to wiki to look up what "bullet glint" is.

Nevermind. I see that your stretch MRP is on the left and MWS on the right.
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 01-19-12 at 01:32.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    What do you guys mean by "unforging"? Are you talking about the eye relief??? I've never used one I'm just an interested newbie.
    I missed this question previously, and I'll defer to Trident for a more "expert" explanation, but yes, for me the most "unforgiving" aspect of the scope is its narrow range of eye relief at 10X. If I am not totally locked in with a perfectly positioned cheek weld, I ain't gonna hit shit. LOL

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast