Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas shopping with my wife! (Finished!)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickin-Ewoks View Post
    I thought about going the SBR route.....and thought, and thought. I'm gun use this rifle for 3 gun and the range, at which I will be competing, has targets out to 200 yards, I don't think I want to go less than 16".

Although; I could go SBR with this rifle and build/buy another one for 3 gun.
    Hmmm... I shot my 11.5 out to 600 on Monday... It has a loaner ACOG on it. But 200 with irons is a chip shot with a good shooting position.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Hmmm... I shot my 11.5 out to 600 on Monday... It has a loaner ACOG on it. But 200 with irons is a chip shot with a good shooting position.
    You know, I guess that's some information I should have researched a little more. I haven't had a chance to shoot an SBR, I guess I was just assuming the accuracy of an SBR would suffer greatly at 100 + yards. Now that I think about it; this is poor assumption, I have no problem hitting paper plates at 200 yards with my 16" rifles.

Something to think about anyway.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We've shot Pappabear's 12.5s out to 700 yards. Wind is a mofo to deal with, but the gun can reach out that far.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1220 View Post
    Can't go wrong with a CHF barrel from DD. They make just about every length/profile/gas combo you can imagine.

How long is that rail, 7" or 9"?
    I'd second this. I just did my build with a DD barrel with mid length gas system and really like it so far.

And really nice upper!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We've shot Pappabear's 12.5s out to 700 yards. Wind is a mofo to deal with, but the gun can reach out that far.
    I can only imagine! Wind can be mofo with my 300 WM at 700 yards.

Stages with targets out to 200 yards are rare where I will be competing; typically the targets are within 100 yards so using an SBR really wouldn't be an issue.

I'm new to 3 gun, but not shooting. Using an SBR would just be a matter of practice, practice, practice.

I have not seriously researched the application process for an SBR, looks like I have a mission for the day.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I can only imagine! Wind can be mofo with my 300 WM at 700 yards.

Stages with targets out to 200 yards are rare where I will be competing; typically the targets are within 100 yards so using an SBR really wouldn't be an issue.

I'm new to 3 gun, but not shooting. Using an SBR would just be a matter of practice, practice, practice.

I have not seriously researched the application process for an SBR, looks like I have a mission for the day.
    Its not really hard to SBR an AR15. I would say maybe 3 hours of work (including time taken to send the lower off to get engraved and getting a trust setup) with 6 months of waiting.

Once the paperwork arrives, buy a short barrel/upper and call it a day.

I will never buy another non-SBR ever again. They're so long and heavy.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Do you travel out of state often?

Why are you under the impression an SBR won't perform at 200 yards? I zero'd my 10.3" at 200 yards and my 12.5" at 300.
    I travel out of state a couple times per year but I don't take my AR with me.

I think my bias was based on what someone else told me. Typically I don't " just take someone's word for it"; however, in this case I was more inclined because I knew applying for the SBR was a lengthy process. I applied for 2 different LE agencies last year.........the application for an SBR can't be worse than that.

Ahh the pitfalls of listening to a person with no experience in the matter being discussed.....I should know better!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ........Ahh the pitfalls of listening to a person with no experience in the matter being discussed.....I should know better!
    What, you don't like being told something as an absolute fact when really they just made it up? You don't want to be told something by someone who knows it for a fact because he read it on the internet?

Me neither.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 12-28-11 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    What, you don't like being told something as an absolute fact when really they just made it up? You don't want to be told something by someone who knows it for a fact because he read it on the internet?

Me neither.
    Exactly! I had to wade through a lot of bullshit and few bad parts before I figured out there are big differences between the popular commercial brands and the brands people like to say "mine's just as good as and I saved $500".

Also; there are a million "experts" who claim to know everything about the laws that pertain to firearms but they have never actually read the laws. Even if they did; they would not understand enough of the content to give another human being any amount of solid advice.

I have been a "lurker" at most of the forums out there; however, this is the first one I joined, mainly because the senior members (industry professionals) remain consistent in their remarks.

Thanks for the feedback guys; I think I'm going to turn this one into an SBR.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    We need a new thread. SBR myths. The first one we will expose as bullshit is the "you can't shoot long range with one".

Then I will take mine with the ACOG and bust steel from 100-500 yards with it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast