Thread: Buffer size for 6.8

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Buffer size for 6.8

What size or weight size buffer are you all using for 6.8 mid length 16" barrel?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I run an H buffer in one and an A5 Mod 0 in another that obvously has an A5 RE. Both, 16" middys as well, work very well.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    H Buffer here.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    Every time I see a thread asking "what buffer size?" - I have the same answer.

There's no tried and true beffer size for any given platform, unless it's a constintent factory-built rifle with unchanging, known adhered-to manufacturing specs.

Answer: Grab a hand full of buffers and see what YOUR rifle likes.

We can all tell you we run this buffer and that buffer, but until you personally try out the different buffer weights, our comments mean NOTHING. Every rifle is different - especially when it comes to gas/buffers/springs - and especially with different calibers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Though I partially agree with this, comments re: appropriate buffers should be treated as suitable starting points, particularly for the gas system, barrel length and caliber the OP is asking. I find this much more useful than the suggestion of trying a "hand full" of buffers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    Every time I see a thread asking "what buffer size?" - I have the same answer.

There's no tried and true beffer size for any given platform, unless it's a constintent factory-built rifle with unchanging, known adhered-to manufacturing specs.

Answer: Grab a hand full of buffers and see what YOUR rifle likes.

We can all tell you we run this buffer and that buffer, but until you personally try out the different buffer weights, our comments mean NOTHING. Every rifle is different - especially when it comes to gas/buffers/springs - and especially with different calibers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warg View Post
    Though I partially agree with this, comments re: appropriate buffers should be treated as suitable starting points, particularly for the gas system, barrel length and caliber the OP is asking. I find this much more useful than the suggestion of trying a "hand full" of buffers.
    I find this very puzzling. If buffer selection is the "starting point" then what are the subsequent points?
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 06-26-12 at 18:11.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. My use of "starting point" was related to what Brahmzy suggested, but with specific advice on what buffer to try initially. One can then examine ejection, feeding and recoil impulse characteristics (felt recoil) with a variety of ammo to detemine if this is a good choice. I'm not suggesting that one uses the silly ejection chart for diagnostics, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    I find this very puzzling. If buffer selection is the "starting point" then what are the subsequent points?