Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mega Arms MA-Ten Mono

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Mega Arms MA-Ten Mono

I just had a request to start a thread on my Mega and realize that I haven't done one yet. So here goes from start to finish.

I picked up an Iron Ridge Arms Stripped lower nearly 2 years ago. I was fully intending on building a complete rifle out of it and get it all sniperific. The lower ended up sitting in my safe for nearly a year before I ended up picking up a DPMS stripped upper, CH and BCG. Once I did that I was planning on buiding a SASS but with my IRA lower. After dragging my feet I finally decided I needed to finish it. Well my SBR became my new obsession at the time so the 308 was put on the back burner.

When I made the decission to finish my 308 I had been looking at the Mega Mono pretty intensly. The ability to use either DPMS or Armalite pattern components was very appealing. Plus their Mono platform stood out. This was all about July-August time frame. Well I talked my wife into letting me build a Mega on the pretext that I sold my M1A and the IRA/DPMS set that I had. I really only need 1 semi auto 308 and my EBR wasn't cutting it. My best handload groups were only in the 1.5-1.75 range for 5 shot group. I knew with a good AR 1 MOA would be easily attainable and muscle memory would be there.

I sold my M1A and used the money to fund my Mega Build. I ordered the Mono set from Dave Branson at BB Enterprise. I had it on order and it arrived much sooner then I had anticipated and as long as I got all the other components I would be able to take it Elk hunting in October.

I had done quite a bit of research and PMing several folks here and over on sh.com. I ended up deciding on an 18 inch Rainier select bbl. The selects are 3 Polygonal groove with 1/11 twist contoured to Rainier's specs. The 18 is a mid length gas system of DPMS pattern. Rainier was out of their gas blocks so I purchased a Vltor. For a muzzle brake I chose the OPS Inc and couldn't be happier. Several of my uncles have had experience with the FSC30 and weren't impressed so my choice was a JP or OPS. I honestly can't justify the price of a BABC.

Lower parts kit was a Fulton with out trigger. For a trigger I went with a Geissele SSA two stage and it is a very predictable, very crisp trigger. I initially had a Magpul PRS buttstock for this, but have changed over to UBR.

For furniture I used Magpul FDE gear. I had a MIAD, AFG, XTM , and rail ladders. The AFG and XTM panels I stippled myself and provides a positive griping surface.

For optics I have MBUS Gen2 front and rears installed. I was planning on getting a Leupold MK4 3.5-10 or a 4.5-14 with TMR scope but since I had a Mark 2 3-9 w/ Mildot left over from my M1A I used that mounted in a Warne RAMP mount and have a Primary Arms Micro Dot mounted in the 45 degree offset.

With the Warne RAMP mounting the glass low down the PRS's adjustable cheek rest was irrelavant for me so I purchased a used UBR in black. I sold the PRS and ended up using that money for the wife's Xmas present, don't tell her. Since the UBR is designed to use an entry length RE tube I needed a carbine buffer and spring. I spent the extra money on a CAR10 from Slash and am extremely impressed. I liked the UBR so much that I bought a second in FDE and swapped over for matching furniture

Initially I grabbed my wife's Leupy Mark 2 in RRA mount but got my own thrown together. The optic setup of Mark 2 and PA Micro are very effective. I hunt in Medicine Bow National Forrest outside of Laramie WY. There are meadows that are open for upwards of 7-800 yards while the timber is dense that a shot of 75 yards is pushing it. I dialed in a little bit of dope for longer shots and my Micro is zeroed at 100.

Other little accessories that I have and are notworthy are the Phase 5 EBR, YHM bipod mount, Bravo Co Gunfighter CH, and a TAB Gear sling. I run a Magpul BAD Lever on my SBR and the Phase 5 looked appealing. It works phenomenally well for the 308 platform. The muscle memory from my SBR makes this second nature. The YHM bipod mount is a good piece of gear although it does add weight to the gun. I have been thinking of switching to an ADM QD mount. The 308 platform's CH is essentially the same as an AR15 but longer. With the added girth of the receiver it is a pain to manipulate. The Gunfighter rectifies this problem and I highly suggest it for both AR15 and 308 platforms. The TAB Gear sling is a very wide sling and is very stout. It employs a loop integrated into the sling up front for shooting slung up. I purchased QD push button swivels as I dont' like having a sling I can't use with regular sling swivels.

Here is a total break down of components that I used.

Lower
    -Mega MA-Ten
    -Fulton LPK
    -SSA Trigger
    -Magpul MIAD FDE
    -Magpul UBR FDE
    -Slash Heavy CAR 10 buffer and spring
    -Phase 5 EBR

Upper
    -Mega MA-Ten Monolithic
    -DPMS BCG
    -Rainier Select 18in Mid length
    -Vltor low pro GB
    -Mid gas tube
    -OPS Inc Muzzle Brake
    -BCM Gunfighter w/med latch
    -Magpul AFG FDE, stippled
    -Magpul XTM Panels FDE, stippled
    -Magpul Rail Ladders FDE
    -YHM bipod mount for Harris

Optics
    -Leupold Mark 2 3-9x40 MD
    -Warne RAMP Scope mount 1in
    -Primary Arms Micro Dot in 45 offset
    -Magpul MBUS front and rear FDE

Sling
    -TAB Gear sling FDE w/ QD Swivels

Bipod
    -Harris 9-13 notched/swivel w/Pod Lock
    -Harris 6-9 notched/swivel w/Pod Lock and Pod Claws

As of now I do not have any grouping photos as I quickly zeroed and called it good. I have had the opportunity to take this to 700 yards on two occasions. Once I dialed in dope for 300 I used holdovers for 4,5,6 and 700 yards. This rifle is on. I have no problem hitting steal up to 500 but 6 and 700 yards I need more practice with fundamentals. The OPS brake though allows me to see the splash. There is next to no movement whatsoever with this brake.

As far as real world accuracy goes this rifle is Minute of Raven at 300 yards. Do the math.

I fully intend on giving this a camo Duracoat bath this summer. I've been tempted to just hit it with Krylon but I have had a bad experience with Krylon and want the Duracoat durability

Here are a few pictures showing it's progression.

With RRA mount and PRS

Up close of Stippling

With Black UBR

My boy getting his own range time

And it's current state
    I digitally inserted Jaba the Hutt into the original Star Wars-Eric Cartman

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    What did the inital cost of the rifle run? less the optics and accessorys.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Price

Hell man, there you go putting me on the spot.........

Minus optics it's somewhere in the ball park of 2100-2150. But that is counting all the furniture and MBUS. The RAMP, Leupy and PA didn't cost much extra as I already had the Leupy.

Now if you take an average price of a LMT MWS at $2300 (quick google search) you're very close in price range. However I have a UBR and CAR10 which is a $300 setup.

With building my own I was able to pick and choose the components that I wanted. Buying a shelf gun will have your parts box filling up, not that I didn't with this but the PRS paid off.

It all comes down to whether you want to put together your own gun or buy own and mod it out. I didn't want a shelf gun. I wanted my own "build" or assembly. From everything I've read and when I've handled the MWS it is a stout rifle, damn good shooter and resonably priced. I just liked the idea of knowing that this one is mine.

Building a 308 is it's own endeavour, but if you're up to the challenge the Mega is an outstanding platform to do so with.
    I digitally inserted Jaba the Hutt into the original Star Wars-Eric Cartman

Feedback Score
    I agree with your last statement. It really is something different from building an ar15. If only all the parts worked with all the guns

But it was a fun process because of the extra learning to do

I built a Mega NON Mono with a Noveske barrel that Marvin Pitts dimpled KAC style. Turned out great!

Feedback Score
    Nice looking rifle and very interesting build.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    SGT, thanks, nice rifle. My initial thoughts are a bit different, but could change.

For some reason it's important to me to have a "matched" upper lower with the Mono upper for stiffness. Hence the MEGA matched set.

I'd like to keep it semi light so the only rail I want is on top, this rifle is for long distance only and I don't need the other items.

The stock would most likely be a quality standard fitted A-2 style.
    The optic will be a L/R leupold until I can round up another S&B 5x25x56 PMII F4F which I have on my other long range guns.

I'm open to other options on upper/lower recievers as long as they are monolithic, and very stiff to stop flex

Other then the scope and a gemtech suppressor and brake that's about it for practical add ons.

Question,

Im looking for a bolt with extended lockup time like the "Enhanced LMT's" for the M-4's but Im not sure it's the best for this project.

What are the other options on the market, and what is considered to be the best BCG out there for the 308's.

Thanks in advance.

DDW

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    SGT, thanks, nice rifle. My initial thoughts are a bit different, but could change.

For some reason it's important to me to have a "matched" upper lower with the Mono upper for stiffness. Hence the MEGA matched set.

I'd like to keep it semi light so the only rail I want is on top, this rifle is for long distance only and I don't need the other items.

The stock would most likely be a quality standard fitted A-2 style.
    The optic will be a L/R leupold until I can round up another S&B 5x25x56 PMII F4F which I have on my other long range guns.

I'm open to other options on upper/lower recievers as long as they are monolithic, and very stiff to stop flex

Other then the scope and a gemtech suppressor and brake that's about it for practical add ons.

Question,

Im looking for a bolt with extended lockup time like the "Enhanced LMT's" for the M-4's but Im not sure it's the best for this project.

What are the other options on the market, and what is considered to be the best BCG out there for the 308's.

Thanks in advance.

DDW
    There is one for sale on Longrangehunting
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...0-308-a-90048/
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caelumatra View Post
    I built a Mega NON Mono with a Noveske barrel that Marvin Pitts dimpled KAC style. Turned out great!
    I think I need to see this thing!
    www.thealaskalife.com www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.
    Okie John

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

slo

let me get this straight.

The Mega- MA TEN mono upper, that complete upper can take either KAC or Armalite barrels?

What about the rest of the stuff??

is it good to just stick with one brand like the BCG or BC and other stuff?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I think I need to see this thing!

Crappy cell phone pic

Its all green now, has a rear MBUS, and the RISR is off of it until I get an optic for it. It weighs, I believe, 9.84 pounds as it is now.
    I have a picture of it on a scale at home, but have forgotten to upload a bunch of pictures for like a year lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast