Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LMT MWS in .308, .260, or 6.5CM?

Feedback Score
    Trident has posted links to Zak Smith's comparison of all the 6.5 cartridges that are hot in the long range game world right now.

I'm still trying to decide on the .260 Rem or 6.5 CM now. I lean towards the .260 because it is the round that essentially spawned all the others trying to duplicate it. I want to see what twist LMT releases before going in that direction. I reload so I can very easily get into the .260 game as Lapua has started to produce .260 brass.

I'm still tossing around the 6.5 CM though... I like the idea that Hornady prints the load recipe right on the box and that match grade ammo is relatively inexpensive at about $25/20. Reloading should be easy but I would have cheap, accurate ammo available for the times I can't reload...

I will likely wait and see how the LMT barrels are performing. I think it might be good to see how either round holds up to use in the MWS platform as well.

Feedback Score

While not quite exactly about the 6.5 creedmore, I read George at GAP is doing a 6mm based on the 6.5 creedmore if I am not mistaken. If I read the article right, he has said that the round is optimized in a gas gun and that all you need to do is run the brass through a sizing die that hornady is making for him. There are a couple of ammo companies that are producing rounds for sale also. There is much more info on The Hide about it. You could easily get one of the custom barrels out there and send it off to get machined to fit the MWS no problem.
    Last edited by rundm; 12-31-11 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    Trident has posted links to Zak Smith's comparison of all the 6.5 cartridges that are hot in the long range game world right now.

I'm still trying to decide on the .260 Rem or 6.5 CM now. I lean towards the .260 because it is the round that essentially spawned all the others trying to duplicate it. I want to see what twist LMT releases before going in that direction. I reload so I can very easily get into the .260 game as Lapua has started to produce .260 brass.

I'm still tossing around the 6.5 CM though... I like the idea that Hornady prints the load recipe right on the box and that match grade ammo is relatively inexpensive at about $25/20. Reloading should be easy but I would have cheap, accurate ammo available for the times I can't reload...

I will likely wait and see how the LMT barrels are performing. I think it might be good to see how either round holds up to use in the MWS platform as well.
    That's what I did on the whole rifle and I think it's a good practice to have on any new products on the market...

I know the initial specs for LMT's barrels were as follows- .260 barrel was 1/9 SS - 1/9 .243 SS - 1/9 6.5 C SS - 1/10 .338 Fed - 1/10 7mm-08 SS

Hope that helps. I will probably be joining you on the .260, it seems like a hell of a round. The 338 Fed is also interesting but since I'm not hunting with it not sure I have a use for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    That's what I did on the whole rifle and I think it's a good practice to have on any new products on the market...

I know the initial specs for LMT's barrels were as follows- .260 barrel was 1/9 SS - 1/9 .243 SS - 1/9 6.5 C SS - 1/10 .338 Fed - 1/10 7mm-08 SS

Hope that helps. I will probably be joining you on the .260, it seems like a hell of a round. The 338 Fed is also interesting but since I'm not hunting with it not sure I have a use for it.
    Here's the picture SMG Lee took at SHOT last year... .300 BLK is 1/8...

It will also be important to see what velocities LMT is able to achieve with a 16" / 18" / 20" barrel with the 6.5mm rounds. Who knows if they will be worth the extra effort if they can't achieve decent velocities.
    Last edited by Spooky130; 01-01-12 at 13:20.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12