Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: BCM Filthy 14 ??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hammer forging is a fast, economical way to produce a high number of barrels, especially once you have your mandrels made. Remington used hammer forged barrels for many years to keep costs down. When it started being bandied about that the stresses introduce to the steel during the forging process was detrimental to accuracy, "hammer forged" barrels became the Kiss of Death. Remington continued using hammer forged barrels but kept quiet about it as the barrels were low cost and gave good accuracy for which the Model 700 was famous for.

The quality of the mandrel is crucial to making CHF barrels
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-17-14 at 21:58.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Remington continued using hammer forged barrels but kept quiet about it as the barrels were low cost and gave good accuracy for which the Model 700 was famous for.
    Damn. My .308 SPS barrel has been everything I could ask for. If I ever rebarrel it, I'll get a cut rifling barrel. But I'd guess that there's more consistency in HF barrels... I may be wrong, but I bet you don't get the bore diameter variances that you can see on some button rifled barrels.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not well versed as to which Remingtons used what barrel when, so I can't tell you which method was used to make the barrel of your SPS, but if it shoots, what does it matter? My father once owned a Steyr made sniper rifle which had a hammer forged barrel and it was one of the most accurate and consistent rifles I've ever seen.

Often we get caught up in the mythology of something, forgetting that what's important is how our firearms shoot. I've been guilty of it myself. Always remember, "Buy the gun, not the story"
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm not well versed as to which Remingtons used what barrel when, so I can't tell you which method was used to make the barrel of your SPS
    Remington put it in the item description on their website. It's an HF barrel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Aside from Colt's testing that reached the conclusion that there was no advantage to hammer forged barrels, have there been other tests done?
    Link?

Feedback Score
    In regards to Colt, don't they make CHF barrels in Canada?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscenejesster View Post
    In regards to Colt, don't they make CHF barrels in Canada?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Yes, under the Diemaco umbrella.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Although the name "Diemaco" is still owned by Colt Canada, they are definitely Colt Canada. The commercial rifles soon to be released with have the stylized D on them...however the LE guns coming out do not have any hint of Diemaco on them anymore.

Boltgun

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    Although the name "Diemaco" is still owned by Colt Canada, they are definitely Colt Canada. The commercial rifles soon to be released with have the stylized D on them...however the LE guns coming out do not have any hint of Diemaco on them anymore.

Boltgun
    Roger. Thank you for clarifying that.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789