Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 12 o'clock light mount...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Why would this be better than a simple barrel mount? It costs more, it's almost certainly heavier, and it puts the rail up higher...

I'm no UTG fan, but my new $6.50 barrel mount arrived yesterday, and it looks fine. It actually comes with three sets of screws, so the screws won't protrude like they do in all the photos. It's aluminum, and extremely light (maybe a half ounce?). Now I have to wait until Santa brings me a TLR-1 to mount it (so I can get the distance to the FSB correct).

Bimmer
    What does the UTG mount look like?

I'm still interested in getting an MFI mount though since they make an ak specific one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    What does the UTG mount look like?

I'm still interested in getting an MFI mount though since they make an ak specific one.
    Google "utg universal single rail mount."

Like I said, it comes with three sets of screws, so they won't protrude as much as in the official photos. My thought is to use it upside-down (with the rail upwards) as a 12 o'clock mount for a TLR-1.

I haven't mounted mine yet (waiting waiting waiting for a light), but I can hardly believe how nice and even the finish is. The screw threads seem nice and clean, too. I'll have to put my dial calipers on the rail section to see if it's in spec, but it looks good to me...

I know that UTG stuff is typically crap, but I've also got one of their $20 soft cases, and it's also astoundingly nice (significantly nicer than my $50 Springfield Armory or Eagle cases).

Go ahead, now flame me for buying UTG...

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    So it looks like this one?http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-...-diameter.html
    I wouldn't rag on you for buying something like this from utg since the only other similar products products I can think of would be the MFI mount or the surefire barrel clamp. Plus I wouldn't think utg could screw this up, but I've been wrong before(I hope it does work).
    Last edited by SoDak; 12-13-09 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    Saw this "thing" (pictured below) while perusing the Information Super Highway. Does anyone here have any knowledge about this X3 Integrated Rail System?

My guess, from the illustrations, is that it appears one can have and choose three (3) different mounting location options for an illuminator or a combination of lights/lasers and what-not.

Feedback Score
    So it looks like this one?
    That's it, exactly.

I wouldn't rag on you for buying something like this from utg since the only other similar products products I can think of would be the MFI mount or the surefire barrel clamp. Plus I wouldn't think utg could screw this up, but I've been wrong before(I hope it does work).
    This is my thinking exactly...

I'm not proud of having bought stuff from Harbor Freight, either, but for bungee cords, zip ties, and pry bars (anything without moving parts), they seem to be as good as anybody else's, just a LOT less expensive.

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMend View Post
    It just occured to me that a railed gas block clamped in front of the front sight post would work extremly well. After looking around on brownells I can see a couple really good options. YHM also has several good options.

Please pardon my stupidity, but wouldn't that get the light hot as hell if you were firing a lot of rounds?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    Please pardon my stupidity, but wouldn't that get the light hot as hell if you were firing a lot of rounds?
    I think this could be a problem with anything attached to the barrel in any way...

FWIW, I think the gas block gets especially hot because it has hot combustion gas flowing through it. A non-functional gas block shouldn't get as hot. A barrel mount (like the UTG or MFI) doesn't have as much contact with the barrel and shouldn't conduct as much heat to the light.

In any case, as I imagine it, if the SHTF, then I'd need my light to navigate and/or to ID targets, and that probably comes BEFORE putting a lot of rounds downrange.
    I'm a civilian, and I honestly can't imagine a SHTF scenario in which I need (or have the opportunity) to fire more than two or three mags and get the barrel mount hot enough to damage the light.

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Google "utg universal single rail mount."

Like I said, it comes with three sets of screws, so they won't protrude as much as in the official photos. My thought is to use it upside-down (with the rail upwards) as a 12 o'clock mount for a TLR-1.

I haven't mounted mine yet (waiting waiting waiting for a light), but I can hardly believe how nice and even the finish is. The screw threads seem nice and clean, too. I'll have to put my dial calipers on the rail section to see if it's in spec, but it looks good to me...

I know that UTG stuff is typically crap, but I've also got one of their $20 soft cases, and it's also astoundingly nice (significantly nicer than my $50 Springfield Armory or Eagle cases).

Go ahead, now flame me for buying UTG...

Bimmer

Have you tried a light on this yet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    Have you tried a light on this yet?
    Nope, no light yet. Santa brought me a Harris bipod instead (no complaints). I'm still looking for good deals on C4 TLR-1s, but I want a scope for my .22, too...

I'll update when I get this set up,

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Has anyone with the Hahn mount fired about six magazines through their weapon and then posted a picture of what happens to the light?

I wouldn't mount anything to the barrel. Others MMV, of course. I once saw a GI side-sling adapter get hot enough that the plastic coating on the sling loop was dripping off the loop.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast