Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 12 o'clock light mount...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dport View Post
    Seems to me if you're running a railed forearm (I don't) you could sacrifice BUIS sight radius and do the same thing on your own.
    My back up iron sights are permanently deployed. I have a standard FSB. The Daniel Defense rail I have is the 12.0 FSP model. My sight radius is that of a standard M4 carbine.

I have a few pics of me using this setup in the GTA sniper match (Grant saw me using it at his stage). I suck at posting pics that have to be hosted, otherwise I'd post one or two.

I hate name droppers, but I'm going to commit that sin. Ken Hackathorn has seen me with this setup a number of times and he approved of it. With the light at the 12 o'clock position, you avoid the down side of having a light at either the 3 or 9 when it comes to performing CQB and negotiating a corner.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ken mentioned Stony's setup at the recent LL class as a recommend way of doing business...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    I usually run this mount on my middy but it's um... inop.

Lights jutting off the side of a rifle always bothered me. This mount turned out to be exactly what I needed.

Sights remain completely unobstructed with the light in place as shown in the 2nd picture.

The TLR-1 will be replaced by an X300 next week.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Topcrest,

Thanks for the pics, that's exactly what I'm looking at doing with a X300 and a SR switch.

Has there been any issues with it getting loose?

BTW, after taking a closer look at your pics it looks like I might neet to mount it further forward than you if I want to the XT back plate. It looks like with the mount directly in front of the FSB there won't be enough room for the X300 with a XT backplate installed.

Feedback Score
    After a couple thousand rounds on various setups, it has not shot loose.

I always blue locktite and torque everything to between 25 and 40 in-lb depending on what it is.

I'd imagine the mount would need to be slightly farther forward to accommodate the bulkier switch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The X300 was the setup invisioned when I did this one.

I despise Tape switches - but I'm working on something to make it more "buttony"
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    The X300 was the setup invisioned when I did this one.
    Is that an OTAL on there? I tried that setup (with OTAL, didn't try the DBAL) and the beam sorta hits the side of the x200/300 type lights mounted ahead. Didn't shoot it though. May not be an issue for all.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stony275 View Post
    My back up iron sights are permanently deployed. I have a standard FSB. The Daniel Defense rail I have is the 12.0 FSP model. My sight radius is that of a standard M4 carbine.

I have a few pics of me using this setup in the GTA sniper match (Grant saw me using it at his stage). I suck at posting pics that have to be hosted, otherwise I'd post one or two.

I hate name droppers, but I'm going to commit that sin. Ken Hackathorn has seen me with this setup a number of times and he approved of it. With the light at the 12 o'clock position, you avoid the down side of having a light at either the 3 or 9 when it comes to performing CQB and negotiating a corner.
    Stony, is there any advantage to the 12 o'clock mount over a 6 o'clock mount?
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tag for ideas...
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt5172 View Post
    Stony, is there any advantage to the 12 o'clock mount over a 6 o'clock mount?
    Not Stony, but the advantage I've always heard about is you don't have to expose as much of your torso or melon when shooting over/around cover. With the light at 6:00, you have to get the weapon out far enough for the light to clear the cover, and in so doing you expose more of yourself.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast