Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 12 o'clock light mount...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks TheKartar. I will make a toast in your honor during debrief.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does the FSB light mount cover up much of your visibility though? I have a 10.5 LMT upper that I don't have a rail on, and I'd like to add a light. I'm just not sure if I can add a 6P/G2 to the FSB and be okay with it or if I have to add a small piece of pic rail somewhere else and use a tape switch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    the setup is very viable, just loctite it.

The MI set up is VERY viable.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for your help guys.

I still want to get the tape switch for the 12 O' Clock Mount as my field of view will not be obstructed and I think it's the best of both worlds.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The mount somebody showed on the previous page is the ILM and the pictured version is available. Upside, it does not clamp to the barrel, if that's an issue with you. Downside, I need the FSB (or complete upper) so I can mill a little locating pad for the rail and tap a hole for the cap screw that holds it on.

The clamp-on version I had on my site is back-burner unless somebody big comes along and want to cut a PO for a bunch of them. I think it has a lot to recommend it but it's complex to machine and therefor expensive.

I have some other designs that are proven and I've done several of..... production and availability are coming soon but not sure when-- so many irons in the fire. The "ILM-JT" is shown in this thread. The silver-solder-on version is really more sanitary looking but just not viable as a production item, custom only really, and as FSB's are married to barrels, when the barrel needs changing there's a complication.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6399

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have an idea...gimme a chance to plug it into Paint or something to describe it better.

Basically you get a QD type mount to attach to the end of the 3 or 9 o'clock rail. It then goes fwd and extends past the FSB or just out in front of your rail if you have a FRONT BUIS.

From there it would curve up over the barrel w/ another rail in which you would have somewhat like what Ned has been doing.

Just a thought...I have absolutely no machining skills however so I have no clue if it's even possible.

Or possibly a two piece mount w/ a half on each side that attaches to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Then the two pieces meet up above the barrel, out front of the FSB or rail. There wouldn't be much of a need for a clamping screw I don't think, due to the light holding the end together.

I'll work on some paint pics in a bit.
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    please excuse the resurrection of the topic.

but any issues surfacing regarding heat and placement of a light at or near the gas block/fsb?

I was fiddling with the idea of running my ssl-1 at 12 oclock on top of the gas block, but am worried about extreme temps and the plastic mount. aside from that, i cant imagine the high temps being good for battery life/longevity or for the LED emitter. As i understand it, the new high output LED emitters have heat dissipation issues as is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hey ARin,

I have mine set up off a front sight mount and it seem to be fine so far but I am using a Surefire 300 flashlight.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Can Someone post a pic of the Hahn 12 o'clock mounted on a rifle. Would like to see what they look like attached.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well I couldn't wait for someone to get one and post a pic. So I went and got the Hahn mount. I put on a 6P style light on it, using a low ring mount, and it's way below the line of the standard FSB. Doesn't interfer with the irons at all.

Will post a pic later..........
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast