Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 12 o'clock light mount...

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have any experience with Mako's offering?

http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant...gory_Code=_irs

-Vic

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMend View Post
    What about this?
    +1

I'm hesitant to put anything from Leaper's on my gun, but it occurs to me that the beautiful Hahn mount is a $95 solotion to a $7 problem.

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I like the X300 on the top rail. Slight thumb movement to turn it on off.

With the LaRue mount the light does block the lower 1/3 of your FOV. However with both eyes open shooting you no longer see it. One eye is comparable to having a FSB in the way...a bit more than just a FSB but you can still shoot just fine.

I could run the stock clamp on mount but I like having the light up a little higher so you dont get as big of a shadow from the rail and barrel. Obviously the further up you move the light the less the shadow is going to be. With the URX rail you have the integrated sight so I dont want to block that coming up. The light does block use of the irons but if I need to use the light because its so dark I wont be able to see to use the irons anyways, and I keep the mount loose enough its very easy to take off but still snug enough it doesnt move.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mounting a pistol type weaponlight at 12:00 was the main reason I bought a DDM4. Started with a TLR1, which I thought was ok but I could barely see my front sight over it and the controls could be better as support side shooting. I recently switched to a X300 and it solves those problems. The TLR1 now resides on my pistol.

Last edited by texag; 12-04-09 at 15:16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    +1

I'm hesitant to put anything from Leaper's on my gun, but it occurs to me that the beautiful Hahn mount is a $95 solotion to a $7 problem.

Bimmer
    The barrel mount from MFI might be another option(I don't have one so I can't say for sure).http://mfiap.com/smallarms/barrel-mount-single.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    The barrel mount from MFI might be another option(I don't have one so I can't say for sure).http://mfiap.com/smallarms/barrel-mount-single.htm
    This is more like it... $30 instead of $95.

I've got the UTG on the way ($6.50, shipping included, from Amazon), and I'll give it a whirl.

Just looking at photos of these, my sense is that the MFI mount is much taller than the UTG (or Hahn) mount. Lower would be better...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It just occured to me that a railed gas block clamped in front of the front sight post would work extremly well. After looking around on brownells I can see a couple really good options. YHM also has several good options.

Feedback Score
    It just occured to me that a railed gas block clamped in front of the front sight post would work extremly well. [/IMG]
    Why would this be better than a simple barrel mount? It costs more, it's almost certainly heavier, and it puts the rail up higher...

I'm no UTG fan, but my new $6.50 barrel mount arrived yesterday, and it looks fine. It actually comes with three sets of screws, so the screws won't protrude like they do in all the photos. It's aluminum, and extremely light (maybe a half ounce?). Now I have to wait until Santa brings me a TLR-1 to mount it (so I can get the distance to the FSB correct).

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I dont think that the gas block would be better, I was just brainstorming. I know that many people on this board are reluctant to bolt anything on their gun that costs less than $40

Bimmer,
    I would love to see some pictures once you get your light.

Feedback Score
    It just occured to me that a railed gas block clamped in front of the front sight post would work extremly well. After looking around on brownells I can see a couple really good options. YHM also has several good options.

On a typical gas block journal the diameter ofthe journal/barrel is .75". most barrels then step down a few thousands of an inch out to the end of barrel. In using a gasblock as a light base, the block may or may not have enough travel to clamp down on the area area of the journal.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast