Thread: Noveske 300BLK Uppers: 8" or 10"?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Noveske 300BLK Uppers: 8" or 10"?

I'm set on a Noveske because I've seen my buddy's 14.5" 300BLK Lo Pro and its an incredible piece plus BCM doesn't make any and I don't like AAC's handguard.

I can't really decide on barrel length and I'm concerned about why Noveske chose stainless steel 4150CMV chrome lined. Even though this weapon won't see as high of a round count as my 5.56s there's still that old school mentality of "Stainless steel is for slow fire precision." Is that an issue with the 300BLK?

I have a 10.3" AR15 with an AAC M4-2000 and the 300 BLK will wear an AAC 762SD (mailing the paperwork off next week after buying it two months ago...I could be 1/3 of the way through the process by now). The SD is about 2" longer than the M4-2000 and 2 ounces heavier. I wonder if using an 8" barrel will offset both the length and weight differences between the two?

My main concern is maximum range. I know with subsonics I shouldn't even think about distance but with supersonic 300BLK out of an 8" barrel, what is the trajectory like if zero'd at 200 yards from the muzzle out to 300 yards? Am I going to have to aim high up close, super low at 100 yards, dead on at 200, and then high as hell at 300?

My other concern is rail length. The 8" barrel comes with a 7" rail which is less than ideal. The 10" barrel comes with a 9" rail which would be identical to my SBR.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-31-11 at 19:46.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    My other concern is rail length. The 8" barrel comes with a 7" rail which is less than ideal. The 10" barrel comes with a 9" rail which would be identical to my SBR.
    I think it simply comes down to handguard length or OAL being more important.

The larger bore and smaller powder charge is much easier on a barrel than 5.56, and stainless barrels in 5.56 provide pretty good life if not abused.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If your main concern is maximum Effective range than 10" is the way to go. I went with 8" because I will be using a micro T1 on it and it will be a CQC gun. I am building a 300BLK bolt action for further range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I cant find where it is, I think it was posted before, perhaps someone else can remember, but I'm pretty sure John Noveske in an interview was going over how their stainless barrels that they use are a lot stronger and durable than the standard SS barrels that most everyone else uses.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks guys,

Todd, you made a good point. I think I'll take the longer rail (and 2" additional OAL) over the issues that come with a 7" rail.

Foxjordan, I run a T1 on my 5.56mm SBRs as well and I can still make hits out to 300 yards, I was hoping with 300BLK hits to that distance would be possible without a ridiculous hold over.

I'm also considering buying the complete rifle, but $1000 for the lower and F.E.T. is rough, plus the $200 tax stamp. If Noveske just sold the damn Gen2 lowers by themselves
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    If you’re just going to play with the subsonic stuff I would get the 8" barrel. 17"+ for barrel and suppressor is not bad but is not going to feel all that compact. I think the .300 blk supersonic ammo holds great promise as a HD round when ammo manufactures start putting good bullets in them and if you have any inclination of shooting supersonic ammo I would go 10".

Keeping in mind that 7.62x39 is rather similar cartridge I've always felt the 7.62 AK's that were in the 10-12" range were in the ballistic sweet spot.(think Yugoslavian M92 and AK 104 not the 8.3” krinks) Anything shorter than 10” and you start dropping velocity quick and you don’t have much to start with. You are already around the 2000 fps mark with 123gr ammo on a 10” barrel.
    Just my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post

The typical BLACKOUT flash hider mount is 2.5" long. for the sake of simplicity, let's call typical AR threads .5" long. for an addition of 2" from the muzzle.

OK, from left to right:
    The 762-SDN-6 is 7.66" long, 19.85 oz, and adds 5.16" beyond the BLACKOUT hider, or 7.16" past the bare muzzle.

The M4-2000 is 6.625" long, 17.1 oz, and adds 4.125" beyond the BLACKOUT hider, or 6.125" past the bare muzzle.

The MINI4 is 5.25" long, 13.5 oz, and adds 2.75" beyond the BLACKOUT hider, or 4.75" past the bare muzzle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I chose to go 9" but I only plan to shoot suppressed subsonic ammo so my needs appear to be different.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)