Thread: XCR-L Micro for HD? Lots of ideas!

Feedback Score

Question XCR-L Micro for HD? Lots of ideas!

I am looking to purchase an extremely compact SBR for Home Defense, and possibly to serve as a truck gun. There are four things I wanted to run by you gentlefolk for approval and input.

The rifle I've been looking at is the Robinson Armament XCR-L Micro, chambered in .300 AAC BLK. This rifle is so small it could easily be fired from inside a vehicle if need be, and with the stock folded you could even keep it in a bedside table. I love the ergonomics of the weapon, especially the bolt catch. It's basically a built-in ambidextrous Magpul B.A.D. Lever, so I can chamber a round with my trigger finger! The brass deflector is nice, as well as the non-reciprocating charging handle. A 7.5" barrel is exactly what I'm looking for, and .300 BLK is still quite capable in that configuration. Just to make sure, ".300-221" is .300 BLK compatible, right?

http://xcr.robarm.com/xcrl.php

As far as sights were concerned I decided I wanted to keep it simple and go with some Troy Industries Micro DOA Tritium BattleSights. The Micro Set was designed for weapons with higher top rails, and the XCR is listed as one of the compatible platforms. They're nice and small, and the magic glow stuff is pretty cool too. The wonderful world of optics is too scary and foreboding for me, so I think I'll stick to BUIS unless the overwhelming opinion of you guys is that a red dot/reflex is always better.

http://troyind.com/%20/battlesights/...-now-available

I wanna run some rail panels so I don't tear up my hand, and I think Magpul XTM Rail Panels are the way to go. I'm planning on getting enough to cover the bottom and both side rails. Should I get some for the top too, behind the front sight?

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG410/174

Lastly, do all 5.56 magazines accept .300 BLK? Do you have to fiddle with the feed lips or mess with the spring assembly? I was thinking of using either Troy BattleMags or Lancer L5 AWMs. Do you think those would work, being polymer and all?

If you're still reading, I truly appreciate it. If you have any advice at all I would love to hear it, I have so much to learn. Thank you and happy holidays!

Feedback Score
    I've never had any experience with the XCR, or the new XCR-L, so I can't really speak for it. The issue with a system like this is that obviously, you're going to be committed to a tax stamp and the purchase before you ever get to put it to real use to test it for reliability. In that aspect, I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just saying that you need to concider that if you haven't already.

A 7.5 or 8" barreled .300 BLK AR upper would perform much the same role. Sure, it doesn't have a folding stock, but with a gun that short, you almost don't need one. I plan on getting a 7.5" PWS Diablo / Noveske Diplomat upper at some point for the same purpose and I'm more confident in the reliability of those than I am with something like the XCR. I'm not saying that it couldn't be a great system, and if you notice my other posts, I'm all about trying new things usually, so I'm being a little bit hypocritical right now. I would just make sure that you keep your expectations realistic with it.

I've heard horror stories about Troy's BUIS. I think it's hit or miss, or they wouldn't be selling them still, but personally, on a gun like this, I would go with a set of Magpul MBUS2s. They're spring loaded and flip up a lot easier when you deploy the weapon, but stay safely tucked away much the same way as other BUIS. An Aimpoint T1 (or other variant of the same optic) in a low mount wouldn't necessarily be a bad option. For your intended purpose, I would keep the weapon as simple as possible though, I wouldn't put anything large like an Aimpoint Pro on it. Either a T1 or an Eotech XPS optic.

On my 10.5" gun, I went with Larue index clips. They sell a package with 2 handstops and 72 rail clips that's a pretty good value. It would give you good purchase on the forend, without being overly bulky, plus the index clips seem like one of the lowest profile options out there for rail covers. For your intended purpose, this would be my recommendation, and I plan on doing the same for my 7.5" shorty.

Yes, *most* 5.56 AR mags should be compatible with .300BLK. I can't say all, because there are always flukes that may not feel correctly, etc, but that shouldn't reflect the whole product by any means. Any particular reason on Troy or Lancer mags? They seem like expensive options just for a truck gun. I want to try out a couple of the Lancer L5AWM mags but for how cheap you can get PMags, they just don't seem like a choice I would go with for a large number of mags.

My thoughts and opinions.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for quick reply, I shall do much more research!!

The only reason I singled out Troy/Lancer is because I am sparing no expense. Those seem like premium options and I thought I'd give them a shot. Nothing wrong with PMAGS or GI, but I personally want the best of the best. But what do I know?

I'll especially look into your recommendations, thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor Trail View Post
    Thanks for quick reply, I shall do much more research!!

The only reason I singled out Troy/Lancer is because I am sparing no expense. Those seem like premium options and I thought I'd give them a shot. Nothing wrong with PMAGS or GI, but I personally want the best of the best. But what do I know?

I'll especially look into your recommendations, thanks again.
    I understand that concept quite well. I think by the time I was done building my SBR, and I had bought everything I ever wanted for the rifle, I was about $5k deep, including the rifle, suppressor, mount, optic and accessories.

I look at mags the way they are supposed to be; expendable. They are wear items that will eventually wear out. There's nothing wrong with the Troy or (new) Lancer offerings, but for your intended purpose, they bring no added functionality for their higher pricetag; they still feed the rifle the same way, and no more or less reliably. In the end, it's what you want, so all other opinions are just that. Glad to help.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Folding stocks are good for administrative transport, and a few very specialized missions where concealment is the major concern. Beyond that it's just a good way to not have a shoulder fired rifle when you need it.

The 300 BLK should be an optimal choice for defensive use out of PDW/VSBR sized weapons when the ammo comes out.
    Do you have plans for any formal training? Will you have enough money after buying this rifle for ammo and training? If not a basic quality AR in 5.56 and you getting training will be a more effective defensive combination. 300 BLK ammo is more expensive than 5.56, if this will limit your training it is a poor choice for a first carbine.

A quality red dot sight is always a better choice for defensive use than irons.

Feedback Score
    I will preface this post by stating that I do not personally have any experience with this rifle.

I belong to a number of forums, including Canadiangunnutz, and there is a continual running joke in that forum that if you buy a RA XCR, you should also buy shares in Loctite. XCRs are fairly popular in Canada, as all ARs and variants are considered Restricted by name regardless of barrel length, and therefore they can not be used except at certain firing ranges. XCRs are not considered variants, and are Non-Restricted if they have barrels of 18.5" or more, which means they can be used for hunting, etc.

Obviously, there are people on that forum who defend them like people who come on here and defend Oly, DPMS, etc., but by all accounts if they were classified the same as ARs, I doubt anyone would bother with them except for people who want to be different, collectors, etc.

On Lightfighter, I believe they do get mentioned from time to time, but the general consensus is to stay away, especially from people with some experience of their use, such as Pat Rogers. I don't believe they have ever completed an intensive training course.

Added to that is their customer service, or more specifically the owner's attitude to criticism, etc. Google it, and you will see what I mean.

Obviously it is your money, but even living up here, where I could go shooting with one pretty much where ever I want, I wouldn't have one if I got given it for free. I do however have a number of ARs, despite being restricted to a limited number of shooting ranges.

Regards.

Mark

Feedback Score
    I won't weigh in on the pros/cons of an XCR as I have no experience with them. However, I'm sure you can find some stuff if you look hard enough on the internet. On thing to keep in mind is if the XCR would work with the subsonic blackout ammunition, if you ever want to shoot it in the future.

I agree that the Blackout round will nicely fill the role that you want it for. From all the reading I have done, the SBR application really takes advantage of the strengths of this round. A blackout SBR is in my future at some point in time. I also agree with Todd that if this is your only rifle (which I think it is based on your other posts) that you need to look at the cost beyond just buying your gun; ammunition costs/availability, parts, etc.

One of the things you could look into is buying a complete 5.56mm AR based SBR from Noveske then get a 300 Blackout upper for it. You can set up both uppers identically and swap them out as the situation dictates. Use the 5.56mm upper for training then put the 300 Blackout upper for defensive purposes.

As for mags and rail covers, I recommend buying several different types and trying them out to see what works best with your specific rifle. Depending on how you grip your rifle, the geometry of your handguard, and how big or small your hands are, some rail panels can make the forend feel more bulky then others. I put XTM panels on one of my rifles and it changed the feel of the grip for me. I am thinking of switching to rail ladders to slim things down again.

For sights, Troys aren't bad, I have set on one of my rifles (regular, not DOA, or tritium). I would recommend an optic though. As someone else has stated an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 or an EOTCH XPS would be good. Before you buy you should try to shoot with each one to see which one you like best.

Regardless of what you buy, I highly reccomend setting money aside to take a carbine class or two. This is the best way to get the skills you need to properly employ a carbine in a defensive role.

Anyway, just one man's thoughts and opinions.

Feedback Score
    Kind of related, but does Robinson Arms HPT/MPI their barrels, and bolts? Shot peen? Etc.

As for optic, Aimpoint T-1 in absolute co-witness mount would be good.

And just to be a badass, I'd ditch the Troys for HK MP7A1 sights. You can get 'em on HK parts.net.

My girlfriend loves them.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Interesting idea. I've never really thought about a SBR as an optimal truck gun even though the military has moved in that direction in a big way. If I was expecting a IED and ambush then I would think SBR already sitting in my lap. For the crackheads/carjackers I'm likely to deal with I want something faster than a SBR. I want a pistol sitting near the shifter and a long gun stowed more securely and out of sight.