Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What .223 bullet do you use for Hog Hunting?

Feedback Score

What .223 bullet do you use for Hog Hunting?

What grain and brand bullet are you using for hog hunting? I shoot a 6.8 but a buddy only has a .223 caliber AR. I've just seen a lot of animals get away using 55 gr. soft points. Hogs, deer, etc. I'm in TX and deer are smaller than other areas. IMHO .223 is not a good hunting cartridge but it is what it is and he has what he has. I was thinking maybe he could go to a heavier bullet and that would help some. We do reload so that is not a problem. Please don't say head shots as I'm not a big fan of those for many people and have seen too many jaws blown off and a lot of animals suffer.

Thanks for all your help and input!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    .223 is not a good hunting cartridge
    I prefer the 60gr Partition myself. It performs on par with its big brothers and does a fine job as long as shot placement is good. As far as the caliber goes, it is a very decent hunting caliber to me. Just like with other calibers on the 'small' side - it mostly depends on who's behind the trigger.
    Last edited by nineteenkilo; 12-29-11 at 13:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nineteenkilo View Post
    Just like with other calibers on the 'small' side - it mostly depends on who's behind the trigger.
    That is the truth! That's why for this person I eliminated head shots. Too much risk of wounding an animal. Even if it is a hog it deserves a clean death. I'm just hoping to get something a little better than what he is using now. Thanks for your response.

Feedback Score
    If you're reloading, the Barnes TSX is highly recommended.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use my duty ammo which is a 64 gr Winchester soft point. So far this year I've shot four deer and about 30 hogs and haven't had one go over 30 yards or so.

The deer were all shoulder/lung shots and have had complete penetration on all deer breaking at least one leg going in or coming out, very little blood though but fairly impressive wounds channels through the chest cavity.

The hogs are shot in the middle of the neck half way in between the head and the front shoulders all but 3 or 4 had dropped in their tracks.

Feedback Score
    "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Feedback Score
    He has a 1:9 twist rate so I think the max would be a 69 gr. bullet from what I've read.

Thanks for the replies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbf213 View Post
    I use my duty ammo which is a 64 gr Winchester soft point. So far this year I've shot four deer and about 30 hogs and haven't had one go over 30 yards or so.

The deer were all shoulder/lung shots and have had complete penetration on all deer breaking at least one leg going in or coming out, very little blood though but fairly impressive wounds channels through the chest cavity.

The hogs are shot in the middle of the neck half way in between the head and the front shoulders all but 3 or 4 had dropped in their tracks.
    I haven't seen the 64 gr. Winchester bullet around. I guess I need to look deeper. Thanks

Feedback Score
    I have hog hunted for over three years now with weapons ranging from a Savage 110FP in 308 Winchester shooting 165 grain Sierra GameKing Hollow Point Boattail to a Marlin 1895 shooting Buffalo Bore's 350 grain loading. I have found my M&P15MOE OR using American Eagle 55 grain black box loading to be more than capable of causing hogs of all sizes to embark on immediate dirt naps. Bullet placement is key (Yes, I stick to head shots exclusively). I have lost only one pig and it was due to a head on between the eyes shot that ricocheted off. No, the shot was not from the AR, but with the 308 Winchester. I am sure he died from the headache, but I never did find the rest of him (Only found a bloody fist size chunk of hairy skin left behind).

Feedback Score
    I wish the guy that will be using them could be trusted with a reliable head shot but unfortunately he has a reputation of wounding some animals or missing and I'm trying to narrow the gap to help improve the odds for the animals sake. He's not a bad shot but lets say I've spent my share of time trailing. Not good but I can't keep him out of the woods so I'm trying to give him every and all advantages including blinds that are closer in.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast