Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT MRP Semi-custom Builds.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

LMT MRP Semi-custom Builds.

Well, with Trident's awesome pictures and reports of his LMT MRP's and MWS constantly reminding me how much I miss the LMT's I used to have, I decided to dump my Hk 416 and jump into the MRP/MWS platform once again. Later down the road, I think I'll take a similar approach to the MWS 308, also using the AXTS ambi-lower, but using a good variable power scope for ranges of 100-600 yards. I'm planning on starting off with two twin short-barrel CQB MRP's with the following purpose/goals in mind:

[B]Purpose of Rifle: Fun & Carbine class training rifles built with parts to achieve the following goals:
    1. Reliability/Durability: Under suppressed and unsuppressed use with a range of ammo.
    2. Versatility: To allow weak-side & strong-side use, as well as inside & outside use from 0 - 300 yards
    3. Complete User-Serviceability: To allow the ability to replace, inspect, and maintain every part of the rifle myself.
    4. Control-ability: A low and smooth recoil impulse under suppressed & unsuppressed use allowing ease of keeping sight-on-target during firing, and quick target transitions.

Parts - Upper:
    - Receiver = CQB length MRP
    - Barrel = 14.5" cut back to 11.5" while retaining original gas-port diameter - Dimpled to save a little bit of weight...MRP's are kinda piggy.
    - BCG = LMT enhanced carrier with standard LMT bolt
    - BUIS = Troy Battle-sights
    - Charging Handle = AXTS/Rainier Raptor Ambi.
    - Optic = Acog's with green reticle. Possibly Offset-T1's down the line.
    - Light = Surefire Mini-Scout in Gear Sector Offset mount at 11:00
    - Muzzle Device = AAC blackout/M4-2000

Parts - Lower:
    - Receiver = AXTS AX556 w/ BAD-CASS Short throw Ambi-Safety
    - Buffer System = Vltor A5
    - FCG = Geissele SD3G
    - Stock = Magpul CTR
    - Grip = BCM Gunfighter
    - Sling = Magpul MS3 w/Noveske QD end-plate.

So there it is. I plan on making twins of this rifle as it will be my training gun and I really want an identical back-up. Feel free to make suggestions or tell me if anything here looks stupid. I realize that goofing with non-standard gas-porting has potential to cause issues, especially with lower-powered ammo...but if I can't achieve a cleaner running, soft shooting rifle without sacrificing reliability, I'll just have the gas-ports opened up to the standard for 11.5" barrels.
    Last edited by MikeCLeonard; 11-16-12 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

OUTSTANDING!

Every time I log in, I hope to read a thread just like this. Highly customizing MRPs in order to push the AR envelope is most certainly as good as it gets for myself. I can't wait to see how this project turns out, and I couldn't have dreamed up a better project myself than what your doing here Mike.

I really like your decision to go with the AXTS ambi lower. Personally I use IWS complete lowers on my MRPs, but either way a fully ambi lower really makes life so much easier for myself being a satan hander.

Parts...very interesting decision in regards to barrel selection. I think you should have Marvin do all the work, cutting and dimpling them. Marvin will help to ensure you have a reliable cycling port diameter as well I imagine.

If you run the GS/m300a setup on the last position on your rail, the Troy buis should be fine, it's the KAC micros that I used where you have to go very custom and actually do some serious modifications to both the GS mount and the m300's mounting feet.

T-1 with an ADM AD-B2/lower 1/3rd riser, and have been very happy with that setup on my MRP CQB 10.5". So my suggestion would be a lower 1/3rd larue mount in your case.

Lower parts look awesome as well.

I've never had a single problem across all my MRPs....when I find something that beats them in the category of uber reliability, and uber accuracy, I will be more than willing to adopt the new platform.

Super excited to see this come to fruition, and if it all turns out like I think it will, it should be one helluva exceptional and unique set of rifles.

eta...The happy switch on board is freaking sweet as well, damn that is just gonna be wicked!
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 12-29-11 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for your response and enthusiasm buddy! I'm very excited to start the builds...and also excited that after trying many different rifles and configurations, I feel like I've settled in the right place for my needs with the MRP. There really isn't a single thing I would change on the platform...its the only one out there that I can say that about...and I've tried quite a few!

In regards to the AXTS lower...I'm excited and anxious at the same time for this receiver, as I'm usually hesitant to jump on brand new products. My only lingering concerns are about having issues with knocking the left-side mag release by accident causing a loaded mag to dump, and having a lower with proprietary internal parts. Both of these are just theoretical for the moment though.

As for the barrel...Marvin is exactly who I have in mind for the work. I've read up quite a bit on 10.5" vs. 11.5" barrels, and while there isn't a huge difference...I like the idea of the 11.5" for the incremental improvement in dwell time, wear on suppressors, and velocity...while still maintaining acceptable maneuverability with and without a suppressor. I drew my inspiration for keeping the small gas port from Grant's dedicated suppressed/SBR build discussed on the forum...though I'm leaving a little more wiggle room in there.. placing this build in between suppressor dedicated, and standard gas. This should hopefully give me some of the benefits of reduced gas/slower bolt unlocking, and allow use of a greater range of ammunition. Put that in conjunction with the A5 buffer system and a nice compensator...and it should be a real smooth operating rifle.

When you mention using the last position on the rail to mount the GS/Surefire...are you actually speaking of the second to last notch behind the forward sling-mount cup? I'm basically wanting to mount it exactly where you have yours...and hope that it will clear with the Troy front sight.

I'll be sure to post updates and pictures as I get the project rolling...though it's probably not going to all happen at once. It's going to take me some time to track down an auto-sear, so the sear-host rifle will probably be finished sometime behind the first rifle which I'll just Form 1 as a SBR. If I run into any kinks or issues along the way with the first rifle...hopefully I'll get them all worked out by the time I'm ready to dump a sear in the second.

Thanks again for your input and inspiration for these builds! I just can't wait to receive a package containing twin MRP uppers to go to town with! Also, I didn't mention earlier...but I think I'm going to keep one of these rifles a nice sleek black...while the other is going to sport FDE furniture and get hit with earth tones from a spray can...just to bring a little variation to the duo.

-Mike L.
    Last edited by MikeCLeonard; 12-30-11 at 02:53.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've always felt that you were a true believer in the MRP platform, and it's wonderful to see you return to it after running several other options. The MRP just feels magical in my hands every time I pick one up

In regards to hitting the left side mag release on the AXTS lower....I highly doubt that will be an issue for you, as I run the IWS lowers and the new MWS lower that have the left side mag release in a more vulnerable position and never once have I accidentally released a mag. Beyond that, I think the advantages of having a fully ambi lower far outweigh the very slight chance that one might accidentally release a mag. I can't comment on the proprietary internal parts to it as I'm unclear on the specifics of the AXTS lowers.

With regards to the barrel...one of the fantastic benefits you will have going in this direction with the MRP CQB chassis is that within 2min. time you can remove one barrel and install another. So ultimately if you run into any problems with these highly customized 11.5" models, a Rock 10.5" 5.56 1/7 will always be there for you if your in need. It's quite the amazing barrel in my use with it thus far. Any 10.5" barrel that lets me accurately put rounds on steel @ 773yds is a winner in my book.

In regards to the GS/m300a placement....I'm referring to the last possible slot on the rail that is really possible since if you mount it at the actual last slot part of the mount is off the rail.
    http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/a...IMG_4616-1.jpg

I just drooled the keyboard a little at the thought of opening a package with two brand new MRP CQBs. I like my rifles every single color as long as their BLACK

I'm envious as hell of your current position, and very much look forward to living vicariously through you and these future world beating MRPs of yours....so definitely keep a brother up to speed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Still a long ways to go waiting on parts...but coming along slowly and surely.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks like an awesome set up, congrats!

Every once and a while I get the itch and go around looking at another platform instead of the MRP. Then I go shoot mine and realize that I just can't find anything I like better. LMT really nailed it in my view.

Regards,

Jason
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    Man this sounds like an AWESOME build!!! I like your choice of parts!
    I, like an above poster, went with a Noveske Gen 2/MRP hybrid, here's a couple pics-
    Attachment 13110
    Attachment 13111
    Attachment 13112
    Attachment 13113
    Attachment 13114

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mauser and jtdam...thanks guys! I've actually admired both of your guy's build's, and have spent plenty of time drooling over the photos of them here and on ar15!

I actually started this project with the purchase of a Noveske FFL as you guys did! I think the Noveske Gen2 and AXTS are about the coolest lowers on the market!

I'm chomping at the bit to get my two MRP uppers in, and finish off these builds...but my order is still pending a 22 week wait with LMT! AAHHH!

Fantastic rifles guys! You've got superb taste!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ugh...22 weeks, our pics must be killing you. Fine time to want to build a rifle X2 during an election year, eh?

Hey, jtdam, do you have to start wearing a glove on your support hand due to the heat build up after about 3 mags? How does the tango-down short grip work, say, compared to the AFG? (Keeping an open mind, but my wallet close).

Noveske Gen2+ LMT MRP= Winning.

BTW: I have the MIAD grip on mine, with two oh-shit 5.56 rounds in the grip.
    Last edited by Mauser KAR98K; 08-04-12 at 00:51.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    Mike I hear ya! The wait can be horrible but when all is said and done your gonna have 2 FANTASTIC rifles that'll be well worth that wait!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast