Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plate Carrier vs Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A couple of links you may find helpful. Even if not for the specific products listed, at least for some of the concepts covered.

https://sites.google.com/site/tactic...-load-carriage

https://sites.google.com/site/tactic...-armor-carrier

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Gents,

Thanks for the information. I checked out the Mayflower APC and it looks remarkably similar to the P.I.G with some great features one being the lightweight design and fit. Going to have to do some further research on that. Lighter weight and the ability to carry the weight evenly and close to the body helps keep my back from remembering the surgeries. Great suggestion.

Rob S, thank you for the links to the writeups on the chest rig and plate carrier. Much of what was written about addressed some of the concerns/thoughts that I have formulated with limited experience. Chief among them was the ability to carry some etc gear during courses without having a ton of unnecessary crap hanging off of my body. The only thing that I have weighing on my decision that doesn't line up with this is the deployment issue. However, as I have considered the opinions given by many here, it seems like having a chest rig and a PC may be the best route. Your point on searching for used gear was a good one and I need to spend some time looking for some. I tend to over research my purchases and then become locked in on a specific setup and forget that others exist that may also fit the bill. I also appreciated your loadout considerations and thought that they were well thought out for the intended purpose. Do you run a hydration carrier on the rig? Might have missed this in the article and if so my apologies.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No, I do not carry water on me in any way. My torso-mounted load carriage is training-only and I have never been in a training environment where I couldn't get a drink as needed. Pre-hydrating and taking smart advantage of scheduled breaks (like coming to the range with enough loaded magazines to get through the day without having to top up) works for me.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowietx View Post
    Gents,

Thanks for the information. I checked out the Mayflower APC and it looks remarkably similar to the P.I.G with some great features one being the lightweight design and fit. Going to have to do some further research on that. Lighter weight and the ability to carry the weight evenly and close to the body helps keep my back from remembering the surgeries. Great suggestion.

Rob S, thank you for the links to the writeups on the chest rig and plate carrier. Much of what was written about addressed some of the concerns/thoughts that I have formulated with limited experience. Chief among them was the ability to carry some etc gear during courses without having a ton of unnecessary crap hanging off of my body. The only thing that I have weighing on my decision that doesn't line up with this is the deployment issue. However, as I have considered the opinions given by many here, it seems like having a chest rig and a PC may be the best route. Your point on searching for used gear was a good one and I need to spend some time looking for some. I tend to over research my purchases and then become locked in on a specific setup and forget that others exist that may also fit the bill. I also appreciated your loadout considerations and thought that they were well thought out for the intended purpose. Do you run a hydration carrier on the rig? Might have missed this in the article and if so my apologies.
    Just wanted to throw my two-cents in on Mayflower. I currently run their low profile assault carrier with my lvl IV plates. Wonderful system and has my recommendation
    Combat veteran
    Lifetime NRA member

Feedback Score
    I'm awesome like that!

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I was in the same dilemma, PIG PC or BCM chest rig. A friend of mine actually purchased the PIG PC along with the molle CB, elastic CB and some of the kangaroo pouches. He runs 2 HSGI rifle tacos, 2 HSGI rifle/pistol tacos and the HSGI Bleeder kit as well as a hydration carrier. He has nothing but great things to say about it as it can be configured using the different CB's. He also uses a large plate in the rear and a medium plate in front which the PIG can adapt to any size plates. I recently used the BCM rig and like it very much so that I ordered one. It sits high enough to allow drawing from the hip and carries just enough ammo to complete any training course. I will have it set up with HSGI pistol tacos on the 2 left mag pouches and possibly a HSGI bleeder pouch also on the left. This gets the job done for me and when the time comes for some shoot house training then I will buy the PIG and mag carriers needed. Both are great products and if I had a need other then training for a plate carrier I could justify to myself spending the money on one. Almost did this past week when SKD had 16% off sale. Just my 2cents on what I have seen both these products do.
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks glad to hear that I am not the only one who has faced down this dilemma. Interestingly I have the HSGI taco mag pouches and also almost bought the PIG when the SKD sale was on this past week. I am interested in what your friend thinks of the different CB options. Any preference indicated between the elastic and the Molle?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowietx View Post
    Thanks glad to hear that I am not the only one who has faced down this dilemma. Interestingly I have the HSGI taco mag pouches and also almost bought the PIG when the SKD sale was on this past week. I am interested in what your friend thinks of the different CB options. Any preference indicated between the elastic and the Molle?
    He runs the four AR and two pistol mags in front along with two AR mags in the kangaroo pouches. When he runs his HSGI med pouch he attaches it to the molle on the left side of the CB. When he runs the elastic CB he eliminates the 2 mags in the kangaroo pouch and runs his speed reload on his belt on the left side. So he runs the PC according to what he is doing. He really likes the elastic CB because it makes running his RCS gear on his belt easier to access. Both the molle (which is the non soft armor one) and the elastic CB ride high enough to run the belt mounted gear. I really want one of these myself but it is definitely an investment once you consider all of the pouches and plates. Just started doing research on the TAG Banshee and for 1/3 the cost of the PIG at Ares Armor it kind of seems like an easy decision if you run 10X12 plates which I would. I also think you could use the elastic CB from the PIG on the Banshee as most CB are the same design. You could get the Banshee, triple mag pouch, 2 PIG Kangaroo pouches, 2 HSGI pistol tacos and HSGI Bleeder pouch for the price of the PIG maybe less. The PIG takes the prize over most PC's I have done research on for the simple fact it has several accessories, easier on & off with split front and seems to be very comfortable for a PC. In the end money dictates what I end up with. I want the PIG but if I can find something cheaper that has the low-profile design I could always use more ammo. That said my buddy couldn't be happier with the PIG and he's used PC's for many years as he's active mil. Keep me updated on your quest of the PC over chest rig.
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

Feedback Score
    Less is more.

Consolidate your gear where possible, unless you have a stellar reason for otherwise.

There are several light weight solutions on the market that are plate carriers with webbing.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    On swat we have a soft armor complete vest with shoulder, neck and groin protection flaps, as well as two kidney plates on sides and front and back plates. I hate this vest, and I do not know the brand. One of our guys, hated his as well and ordered/configured his own vest in matching color (OD) to our current issue.

My question is, because I am paying for its replacement, what would you gentlemen recommend as far as just a front back plate carrier, lightweight, easy to don/doff/adjust. I want quality, but cannot break the bank ($200). I am the medic, and typically my main officer down blowout kit is on my left thigh, with some misc. stuff in a admin pouch on my chest.

Here is what I have gathered on here: Mayflower APC and PIG are recommended. What are thoughts on HSGI (Weesatch, Wasatch), and Eagle?

I was really interested in the Weesatch, however after seeing the Mayflower, I am curious what you all think.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast