Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head lamp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Head lamp

Should I go for broke and spend the $$$ on a nice Surefire saint or minimus or save the $$$ and get a Streamlight. Lamp will be used for camping, hiking, SHTF, power outage.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I've used Petzls overseas and camping. Never had a single problem with them. The best place I've found to look at them is REI. You can really figure out what features you need, how easy they are to utilize before dropping the coin.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    I've used Petzls overseas and camping. Never had a single problem with them. The best place I've found to look at them is REI. You can really figure out what features you need, how easy they are to utilize before dropping the coin.
    +1 for petzl. Suits all your NEEDS while you figure out just how you want to indulge (surefire).
    Combat veteran
    Lifetime NRA member

Feedback Score
    All,
    Petzl looks nice and is probably more of what I need. Resonable prices as well. Thanks for the replies.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Headlamps

Check your local Dick's Sporting Goods the stores locally here carry both Petzl and Princeton Tec, I believe you can get into either light for less than $ 25.00 bucks.
    Last edited by wlptpd3; 01-02-12 at 18:35.

Feedback Score
    No worries,

I'm sure it will fit your needs without spending undue ammo funds!!

I've used the following in black:
    http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/tikk...a-series/tikka

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Petzl is the way to go. And get a second just in case you break one.
    Glock 22
    Beretta TX4

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I got a streamlight one day when someone stole my flashlight out of my work truck. It was $17. I didn't expect it to last very long but I used it everyday for about 4 months on the low and high setting and im still on the same set of AAA batteries. Its been beat up and soaked, hot and cold.

Its not the strongest plastic but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another ever.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    i use headlamps in almost every scenario that a person might usually dig for a flashlight.

i keep one in the car, keep one in the tool box, keep two in the hiking bag, keep one in the house. it's the best hands free lighting option for noncombat application. if you're going to use a flashlight for something other than combat, why not be hands free?

i use mostly the basic petzls because the battery life is really good and they use common alkaline cells. they're really cheap and they're the lightest (for ultralite hikers). the amount of light is "good enough," they do not have excellent throw, flood or beam spot and you wouldn't use them for anything besides chores, minor tasks etc. they're great for changing a tire in the dark by yourself, getting under a car without a gigantic shop light, soldering something without a gigantic bench light, walking around an unlit house after a power outage, hiking at night, cooking at night during camping etc.

if you are going through an area that might have anything besides stumbling hazards i would carry a nice handheld in addition to the headlamp. this also gives you multi-directional capability.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Finally got around to using my Princeton Tech MPLS this weekend at drill. I have to say, it crushes it my Petzl Tactika in most areas.

It has the best switch I've ever used. It's bigger than the Petzl, and easier to manipulate. It starts on low red one more click puts it on high red. Hold it down and it switches to white on that intensity setting.

The petzl starts out on a high setting, and clicks through to medium and low. To use the red setting you flip down a red filter.

I'm much less worried about light discipline with the Princeton Tech. The red function is also actually red, whereas the Petzl is a red filter that's not truly red.

The MPLS has more mounting options, and more angle adjustment.

I found the Petzl slightly more comfortable wearing on a bare head.

Definitely the giving the Nod to the Princeton Tech, but it's also ~$30 more expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast