Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Head lamp

Feedback Score
    All,
    Thank you for the options. To those of you whom have mentioned the different options, have any of you got a preference for an over head top strap?
    I have a Dicks near me, I will definately check it out.
    Last edited by duece71; 01-02-12 at 21:40. Reason: too many repeating words

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    All,
    Thank you for the options. To those of you whom have mentioned the different options, have any of you got a preference for an over head top strap?
    I have a Dicks near me, I will definately check it out.
    I was curious how the ones without the strap would do, and have been pleasantly surprised. I've only used 2 headlamps, both Princeton Tec, but neither left me wanting an over the head strap. They have been very secure without being annoyingly tight. I've put them to decent use too, through various FTX's and night land nav courses.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    We always ran the Petzl Duo when we were caving. The Cave Rescue Team all ran Duos with the carbide lights on the Explorer helmets. Kinda like the Surefire Tact lights now low output and high output.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I was curious how the ones without the strap would do, and have been pleasantly surprised. I've only used 2 headlamps, both Princeton Tec, but neither left me wanting an over the head strap. They have been very secure without being annoyingly tight.
    That has been my experience too.
    I guess missing the top strap decreases bulk while in storage/pocket.

If the straps were well designed, you might remove temporarily and reattach later if you miss it.

I had a Petzl Duo that made possible to remove straps and reattach later. Nice lamp, albeit a bit expensive in the other side of the Equator.
    Paulo Marcondes -- Brazil.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Zebra Light H51. It is an angled light that uses one AA battery and has low, medium, and high (200 lumens). It comes with a head band or can be used alone. The user interface is stupid simple and I use it all the time. moving around the house at night with the low setting, taking the puppy out at 4 am using the medium or high. learn about Eneloop rechargeables and Zebra Light and your lighting horizons will be greatly expamded.

http://www.zebralight.com/H51-Headla...00Lm_p_37.html
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use the Petzl Duo. I have two and used to wear one every night for 8+ months out of the year. They are fantastic!
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    Zebra Light H51. It is an angled light that uses one AA battery and has low, medium, and high (200 lumens). It comes with a head band or can be used alone. The user interface is stupid simple and I use it all the time. moving around the house at night with the low setting, taking the puppy out at 4 am using the medium or high. learn about Eneloop rechargeables and Zebra Light and your lighting horizons will be greatly expamded.

Zebralights are awesome.

Feedback Score

Been using Petzl's for years....

Then decided to do a bunch of 14'ers 2 summers ago. A few require a 3 am start in the dark to allow for same day summit and return.

I was sketchy about hiking treacherous rocky conditions in the dark, so I broke down and bought the SureFire Saint (minimums with an extra battery pack). I am VERY pleased...as with most SF products. Runs marathons around all other headlamps.

PROS:
    Variable light output
    Directional
    Quality Al construction
    Sips batteries
    Run time (6 hours at highest output)
    Brightness: rated at 100 lumens, reality is twice that
    Can turn into a Minimus by removing pack

CONS:
    Price
    Weight of battery pack
    Replaced in 2012 by the Maximus: variable 500 lumen monster

No regrets... buy once and enjoy
    Last edited by mpardun; 01-05-12 at 07:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post

I like this. Looking at the pictures on the link that you provided, the light can be clipped to a shoulder strap on a backpack or the shoulder strap on a chest rig. Looks good, I will have to pick one up. In the interim, I wandered into a gun shop during my travels for work and got a small streamlight for $18. I really like the head lamp. It has an over the head strap and has the 2 intensity settings. Hands free illumination is really nice. Thank you for all of your replies.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I love my Petzl Tactika. I've used it pretty heavily and it doesn't fail to disapoint.

I just got a Princeton Tech Remix Pro MPLS for Christmas and I hold high hopes for it. It mounts on MOLLE, headstrap, and an NVG mount. I really like the switch it has on it.

Go to your closest EMS and check out what they have for headlamps. Buy a Petzl or Princeton tech for between $20-50, and figure out for yourself if it meets your needs or not. I think you'd be surprised at how well these "lower priced" lights perform.
    Last edited by TCBA_Joe; 01-05-12 at 18:34.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast