Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt 14.5-inch M4 barrel vs SOCOM barrel?

Feedback Score

Colt 14.5-inch M4 barrel vs SOCOM barrel?

Looking at getting a new upper for one of the carbeans (I prefer Colt - I drink the Kool Aid)

Was thinking just the standard 14.5-inch M4 (6921) barrel, but seem to be seeing a lot of the heavier M4 SOCOM barrels out there too and had a couple questions...

What (if any) advantage is there with the heavier SOCOM barrel?

What is the difference in weight between the two barrels (I'd be building up the upper the same either way, so the only real difference is going to be the barrel).

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    The heavy barrel is made for full auto fire. The extra mass works as a heat sink and keeps it from overheating as fast. It's totally unnecessary for a semiautomatic carbine. I can't remember how much weight it adds but it has been posted on here so you should be able to find it in a search.

Personally I hate having a heavy barreled M4. It's noticeable during transitions and when carrying the weapon around all day. I think the ideal weight would be something like Noveske's N4 light profile. I also really like the .625 light profile. I'm thinking about getting a 6720 myself.

If you're building the upper yourself Rainier Arms has Noveske N4 barrels available. If you want to go heavier DD makes what they call their S2W barrels with a tapered profile.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd like to grab one of these Colt SOCOMs to try. I definitely don't do light weight barrels... but I find the standard M4 profile to be just right.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Go with whatever's cheaper and readily available, both are good choices and the differences are minimal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought a Colt(I drink the Kool-aid too) 14.5 barrel and had a extended FH pinned on it at the time Alabama was a Non SBR state .it was the ideal weight for me, I held a colt SOCOM barrel and to me it was to heavy .as said it is more for full auto I think the 14.5 would do you well I love mine and for just semi auto there is really no reason unless you just want it and the extra weight

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    It's ideal (IMHO) for short barrelled suppressor hosts, due to POI shift.

There should be less shift, on a heavier profile. Especially with something like the MUR upper.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    It's ideal (IMHO) for short barrelled suppressor hosts, due to POI shift.

There should be less shift, on a heavier profile. Especially with something like the MUR upper.
    You mean longer barreled hosts, right...? I have a 10.5 LMT I run suppressed all the time and there's little shift. I've run Surefire on 16" KAC barrels with no more that 1 MOA shift.

You shouldn't see much sag at all in an SBR with any profile really compared to a 16".
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd like to grab one of these Colt SOCOMs to try. I definitely don't do light weight barrels... but I find the standard M4 profile to be just right.
    I really can't understand your hatred of light weight barrels. Perhaps if you could give a reason why you don't like them, it would make more sense than your usual "I hate 'em" response for everything from LWRC to light weight barrels (although I must admit that I happen to agree with your comments on LWRC...)
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 01-04-12 at 18:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's all a trade-off...and more so as the barrel length increases.

For use with suppressors and full-auto...there very well could be a noticeable benefit for having a heavier barrel. (less barrel flex/poi change with suppressor, & better heat management with full-auto)

No use of suppressors or full-auto?...well in that case, it would be hard to justify the extra weight.
    Last edited by MikeCLeonard; 01-04-12 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    I really can't understand your hatred of light weight barrels. Perhaps if you could give a reason why you don't like them.
    I'm thinking about picking one up, but I have no experience with them.
    Last edited by nml; 11-19-12 at 00:47.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast