Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optimal 9mm AR barrel length?

Feedback Score

Question Optimal 9mm AR barrel length?

Does anyone know what the optimal barrel length is for 9mm rounds for max velocity?

Say, standard 115gr FMJ rounds for start.

I know different loads could change optimal barrel length but anyone have a ballpark?

I was just wondering if it was in SBR range or if the 16" was getting close.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    I thought I read somewhere that 10.5" was optimum for 9mm ?

I may be wrong though.......

Feedback Score
    Hard to get a deffinitive answer on that. Many people base it on what companies do such as an MP-5 is in the 8" range I think.

I just searched and searched and can't find a good site with velocity specs to compare. Lots of charts out there but they're all different loads with different barrel lengths.

One site quoted a PMC test done on penetration not velocity. It said something to the effect that extremely short barrels that don't produce enough velocity will penetrate further because the bullet won't expand.

Another chart I saw was purely built off theoretical numbers. Velocity was graphed rising all the way to the end of the chart at 16". The criticism it brought on was that at some point the length of the barrel causes friction and it should drop off.

I guess until someone chrono's the same ammo from 16" and cuts/re-crowns an inch at a time, we'll never know.

Feedback Score
    I have a 9.25" TOS barrel on one of my SBR's and It's every bit as accurate out to 25yards as the 16" guns. I can shoot it out to 75 yards easily hitting a 12x12 steel plate.

I don't know about velocities in the 9.25" barrel, but the 16" barrels I chronoed a while back were only running 100 to 150 fps faster.

WWB VP was averaging 1269,
    Ranger 127+P+ was 1401,
    Golden Saber 124+p was 1277,
    Speer 124 +P was 1418 (and the most consistiant),
    Federal Hydra Shok 124gr was 1207,
    Mag tech 115gr was 1237.

I keep a mag of Ranger 127+P+ loaded, not that I'd grab the 9mm AR for defence, But It's nice to have a mag ready

Feedback Score
    I tested this a couple of years ago with a 5", 10.5", and 16" barrel.

Ammunition used was the same, though I can't remember if it WWB or Magtech.

I'll have to search my PC for the results, but if I remember correctly statistically there was little difference between the 10.5" or 16" barrel. While I did not measure accuracy to the fractional inch. Both barrels where equally accurate out to 100 yards from the bench with iron sights.
    Steve
    Hallmark Small Arms
    FFL/SOT
    Richmond, VA.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Will subsonic 147gr. stay subsonic out of a 10.5" 9mm barrel if it is out of a pistol barrel?

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but my search didn't yield the results I was looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Will subsonic 147gr. stay subsonic out of a 10.5" 9mm barrel if it is out of a pistol barrel?

I'm looking for an answer to this question as well.

To be more specific, what is the best length for a barrel while still keeping the bullet subsonic? I'm trying to decide on whether to get a 5" or 7" threaded barrel from Spikes and plan on shooting 147gr. Federal HST out of my SBR. My concern is that the 7" barrel may be enough for the round to go supersonic. Am I justified or is it a non-issue?

I'd like to have the extra two inches if it might eke out a couple hundred more fps, but won't if it'll mean losing out on the effectiveness of the Ti-RANT.

Feedback Score
    Try this site:
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html

Looks to me like 12 inches is where the curve flattens out for most types of 9mm ammo.
    Last edited by DDLES; 02-24-10 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PCshooter View Post
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but my search didn't yield the results I was looking for...

I'm looking for an answer to this question as well.

To be more specific, what is the best length for a barrel while still keeping the bullet subsonic? I'm trying to decide on whether to get a 5" or 7" threaded barrel from Spikes and plan on shooting 147gr. Federal HST out of my SBR. My concern is that the 7" barrel may be enough for the round to go supersonic. Am I justified or is it a non-issue?

I'd like to have the extra two inches if it might eke out a couple hundred more fps, but won't if it'll mean losing out on the effectiveness of the Ti-RANT.
    A 3 to 4 inch barrel is the sweet spot for real subsonic, not transonic where you still get an increase in sound signature. Our 4 inch barrel still keeps factory 147's subsonic. A 5 inch barrel is too long to keep a good subsonic sound signature.

Last edited by DDLES; 02-24-10 at 20:14.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Thanks Jon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast