Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No value winds and how they affect bullets

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    I have my own thoughts. Here they are:

This diagram is something I've come up with that IMO is a bit more accurate in certain circumstances.

When you have a Zero where the trajectory of the round crosses above LOS, an increase in the bullet's TOF on the way to the target (but on the near side of the no wind apogee...which also coincides with maximum ordinate of the trajectory), can actually require HOLDUNDER.

Why? Because until the round hits max-ord, the round is still moving up relative to LOS. Therefore, increasing TOF to a short range target (any range before max-ord) can and does make for a higher, not lower POI. Once the round hits the highest point of the trajectory, revert back to the conventional answer I outlined above and expect to see a lower POI.

One thing to remember in this graph is how exaggerated is the vertical scale compared to the horizontal...

When shooting at 1000 yds with a 308 on a level range the bullet angle of departure with the horizontal is just about 40 MOA, or 3/4 of a degree

This is just a tad more than a 1%, and just about any line of sight in the real world has more vertical angle either up or down.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 01-06-12 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    One thing to remember in this graph is how exaggerated is the vertical scale compared to the horizontal...

When shooting at 1000 yds with a 308 on a level range the bullet angle of departure with the horizontal is just about 40 MOA, or 3/4 of a degree

This is just a tad more than a 1%, and just about any line of sight in the real world has more vertical angle either up or down.
    Yep, it's just a graphical aid to assist in the understanding of a concept. Not to be confused with a realistic representation of reality. M4C has taught me why companies have to put disclaimers on everything. Never assume that something goes without saying, I guess.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve--oh View Post
    The B4 next to me says no compensating for no value, blowing in either direction.

And he's a stone cold killer.
    All of this is pretty academic though. Unless you're a competition BR shooter none of it matters much IMO. I don't believe headwind or tailwind will sufficiently raise or lower POI to any quantifiable or significant level in a tactical environment.
    *sigh*
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    F2S...disagree with my assessment or sighing at steve-oh's strange reply?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    F2S...disagree with my assessment or sighing at steve-oh's strange reply?
    I wholly agree with your assessment and comment on practical application.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dan View Post
    a0cake gave you excellent info.

I shoot 6mmBR at Shippensburg PA, and winds there are a bitch most of the time. Clinch River 106gr VLDs help at 600+.
    Went to College there!

Lived at 26 East Bird St.

Shot mostly down at Caledonia near the reservoir, never did any shooting in Shipp.

but personal things aside, how adversely does a no-value wind, say a head-wind, affect effective range? If there is a 20 mph head wind, how would that affect overall range?

I guess what I've getting at is, if you know the overall effective range of your specific set-up and ammunition, you could essentially "cheat" a little more out of it by firing with the wind correct?

I relate it to flying an aircraft. I've seen aircraft with ground speeds over mach1, but airspeed's of less than 450 knots because of a super strong tail wind up in the gulf stream, which gets you there X amount faster with Y amount less fuel consumption.
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 01-07-12 at 14:54.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Given standard atmospheric conditions of 29.53 inHG, 500 FT EL MSL, 59 degrees F, and 78% humidity....

MK262 out of an 18'' barrel with 25 MPH (high) winds from:

12 O'clock = Loss of stability at 710M @ 1110 FPS

6 O'clock = Loss of stability at 740M @ 1110 FPS

MK262 Elevation adjustments at 700M from 91M zero:

12 O'clock = 9.1 MILS

NO WIND = 8.9 MILS

6 O'clock = 8.7 MILS

How important is that? Consider that a scope with 0.1 MIL adjustment turrets will move POI 1 CM at 100M, or 7 CM at 700M. If you did not account for either 12 oclock or 6 oclock 25MPH wind in this scenario, your adjustment would be 14 CM off, or just shy of 6 inches.

Important for a Benchrest Competition when shooting off of rock solid platforms? Yes, probably. Important for a Sniper shooting from an improvised position in the field? Not as much.

Keep in mind these calculations are based on relatively extreme wind (which will rarely be perfectly at 12 or 6 oclock) and a relatively anemic round for the ranges at which we're discussing.

In the end, head and tail winds are at the ass end of conditions I consider before pulling the trigger.

If I have a PDA with a ballistic calculator handy and plenty of time to make a shot, I do input 12 oclock, 6 oclock, and < 5 degree off axis winds. Why not?

But if time is short and I will not be consulting a PDA or data sheet for a firing solution, I do not give consideration to these winds.

You guys can look at the data and make your own determinations for your own purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    Went to College there!

Lived at 26 East Bird St.

Shot mostly down at Caledonia near the reservoir, never did any shooting in Shipp.

but personal things aside, how adversely does a no-value wind, say a head-wind, affect effective range? If there is a 20 mph head wind, how would that affect overall range?

I guess what I've getting at is, if you know the overall effective range of your specific set-up and ammunition, you could essentially "cheat" a little more out of it by firing with the wind correct?

I relate it to flying an aircraft. I've seen aircraft with ground speeds over mach1, but airspeed's of less than 450 knots because of a super strong tail wind up in the gulf stream, which gets you there X amount faster with Y amount less fuel consumption.
    Last edited by a0cake; 01-07-12 at 16:53.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    A0, really, thanks for all the information.

I sold off my .308 bolt gun because I never shot it anymore but I think I need to get back into the game. I miss all this talk about mils and wind
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

I sold off my .308 bolt gun because I never shot it anymore but I think I need to get back into the game. I miss all this talk about mils and wind
    I know dude I'm going through withdrawals myself. Running and gunning Chris Costa style is a hell of a lot of fun (and useful to be good at), but long range is my favorite kind of shooting for sure.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

I spent all day shooting my new FN yesterday. God I missed having a real tackdriver.

Of course, I'm now told by the range commandos that .308 bolt guns are obsolete, so if you want to be super cool you need a .300WSM or something like that. I forgot what shit-talkers the competitive shooting crowd is, at least at the state level.

"Hey, haven't seen you in a while. New stick? Is that a .300WSM, or a .260?"
    "Neither, it's a .308."
    "Whadja do that for? You're gonna get your ass whipped at 600, and you can forget about a thousand."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast