Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New build questions. Will have more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

New build questions. Will have more.

Well as I have posted I am doing a multi caliber build. I am doing a 6.8 and 5.56 build as m4 clones.I will post all my questions in here as they come up but here is a list of what I am thinking of going with.

Spikes lower with pirate

spikes enhanced lpk

Not decided on buffer tube, buffer, or stock as of yet but thinking of lmt sopmod, rra operator, or magpul moe or ctr.

BCM upper either 14.5 or 16"

BCM or cmt mpi auto bcg

BCMgunfighter medium charging handle

Arms 40 lp buis

comp m3 or m4 not sure yet and not sure if qrp or other mount. Maybe a magnifier with Larue pivot

Need advice on rails. I dont need free float and want fairly easy removal. How does the DD eazy car compare to MI #17 gen 2 and kac?

Some sort of vfg like the graphite or kac

Might do a tao1nsn for the 6.8

Need a single point sling and maybe a qd backplate.

I am open to suggestions and could use some advice.
    Last edited by chef8489; 01-07-12 at 11:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Well as I have posted I am doing a multi caliber build. I am doing a 6.8 and 5.56 build as m4 clones.I will post all my questions in here as they come up but here is a list of what I am thinking of going with.

Spikes lower with pirate - I have this exact lower, it is pretty well made.

spikes enhanced lpk - Most people will recommend at least a G&R kit if you want quality, Colt would be the top. I haven't heard much about the spikes kits though.

Not decided on buffer tube, buffer, or stock as of yet but thinking of lmt sopmod, rra operator, or magpul moe or ctr. - BCM makes a great receiver extension tube, H buffer seems to be a solid choice, and you should check out the B5 sopmod. It is about half the price of the LMT, and extremely similar.

BCM upper either 14.5 or 16" - Can't go wrong with either, I got the 16" because I wanted the ability to change muzzle devices without SBRing a lower

BCM or cmt mpi auto bcg - BCM would be a great choice, they sell out quick though

BCMgunfighter medium charging handle - Also a solid choice

Arms 40 lp buis

comp m3 or m4 not sure yet and not sure if qrp or other mount. Maybe a magnifier with Larue pivot

Need advice on rails. I dont need free float and want fairly easy removal. How does the DD eazy car compare to MI #17 gen 2 and kac?

Some sort of vfg like the graphite or kac

Might do a tao1nsn for the 6.8 - Look into this more, it seems like there are better choices

Need a single point sling and maybe a qd backplate. - Not sure why you "need" one, but check out the IKICKHIPPIES SLAP plate. Also, the Magpul MS3 seems like it will be popular, as well as convertible to two point.

I am open to suggestions and could use some advice.
    My thoughts in red.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    what is your intended use for this gun(s)? What is your prior experience with the AR15 family of weapons? What other firearms do you have experience with and in what applications? How did you arrive at this list of parts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    what is your intended use for this gun(s)? What is your prior experience with the AR15 family of weapons? What other firearms do you have experience with and in what applications? How did you arrive at this list of parts?
    Prior experience was 10 years in combat arms mos and 1 year with civilian with several deployments. Other firearms I have experience with includes all us small arms and many others due to MOS. I have experience with ccw and usually choose sig p220 carry, p229, h&k usp compact 45, or springfield xd 45 and 40.

Reasoning for this would be practice and 3 gun and personal defense. I am considering picking up another contract but 2006 was last deployment and bit rusty in shooting. Last civilian ar was a rra entry tactical.

I did a bit of research for the list but not extensive for the lpk. The upper parts are as close to what I am familiar with and within my budget. I wanted to build this ar and that is why I chose not to go with colt. I will be purchasing the parts from Bravo company, Brownells, gunbroker, and maybe a few more places. I dont have all the tools to build the upper and that is why I am purchasing a bcm upper.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Awesome. As you can imagine quite a few people post an extensive list without any idea what/why and zero background.

I know you said you don't need a free-float, but IMO it's the way to go. Not because of any benchrest reasons but because it allows you to brace the gun against barricades, walls, etc. without impacting the barrel and therefore impacting the POI.

If this is your one and only AR, I would suggest the 16" mid-length over the 14.5" unless you're willing to register as an SBR to save the 1.5". Pinning the FH, or whatever you put out there, isn't worth the trouble IMO.

Take a look at the Aimpoint PRO, best value out there in an RDS.

Noveske receiver endplate single point sling mount. One goes on all my guns now. But I wouldn't use a single-point sling on a 16" AR either.

Not a fan of ARMS anything. Take a look at Troy if you want the best folding site, or Magpul MBUS if you want to save some coin.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Would you recommend a 3 point for a 16" for transition drills? I used a 3 point extensively in my prior experience but found it got in the way at times. I was thinking a 1 point clipped to my chest rig or plate carrier would be a bit easier and not get in the way like the 3 point did. If you have a different suggestion for this I am all ears.

As far as free float I will consider it, but never needed it in the past at 400 meters and closer.

I will look at the aimpoint pro and compare it to the m68 and tao1nsn we used and figure out if it is comparable. Would a 3x be a better solution than a tao1nsn or other acog? I will be using the 6.8 to hunt and around here in Texas a long rang shot is not likely( Fort Hood area) Just moved here within past few months.

I used the arms 40l on my rra and had no issues and actually liked it. I liked the spring loaded aspect and never had an issue with shifted zero or quality. I wish the magpul was metal but I will take a look at it. What makes the Troy better than the arms?

Awesome. As you can imagine quite a few people post an extensive list without any idea what/why and zero background.

I know you said you don't need a free-float, but IMO it's the way to go. Not because of any benchrest reasons but because it allows you to brace the gun against barricades, walls, etc. without impacting the barrel and therefore impacting the POI.

If this is your one and only AR, I would suggest the 16" mid-length over the 14.5" unless you're willing to register as an SBR to save the 1.5". Pinning the FH, or whatever you put out there, isn't worth the trouble IMO.

Take a look at the Aimpoint PRO, best value out there in an RDS.

Noveske receiver endplate single point sling mount. One goes on all my guns now. But I wouldn't use a single-point sling on a 16" AR either.

Not a fan of ARMS anything. Take a look at Troy if you want the best folding site, or Magpul MBUS if you want to save some coin.
    Last edited by chef8489; 01-07-12 at 19:35.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The PRO is like the old M68 but $450. The M4 is the current M68 and significantly more expensive for no real functional benefit for most shooters.

Not a three point, a 2-point like the Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling (VCAS), or the Viking Tactics Sling (VTAC).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is it 2 moa or 4 moa like the old m68?

I will look into a 2 point sling. I did not even think about Larry when I though about slings. He is over off Ramsey street in Fayetteville. I will drop in and say hi next time I am at Bragg to see my Daughter. Is it pretty easy to use qd on the Vickers? Would you recomend one over the other? Mount a qd on the endplate and one on the rail.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yes, you can use the QD on the VCAS, which is the one I prefer.

I tend to attach mine at the rear of the handguard near the barrel nut on the left side and on the stock on the right side.

The PRO is 2 MOA.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, you can use the QD on the VCAS, which is the one I prefer.

I tend to attach mine at the rear of the handguard near the barrel nut on the left side and on the stock on the right side.

The PRO is 2 MOA.
    The pro looks like a winner. Comes with a qrp mount. Hopefully I can find it when it comes time to purchase optics.
    I will pick up the vcas as well as a tapco sling and figure out which I prefer and how I prefer to mount for drills and stick with it. Probably give the other away or use it for wifes build. Apreciate the advice and will keep everyone posted in this thread as build goes along. I need to loose some weight before I accept a contract again as I am pretty out of shape and wife wants me back in reg and tip top before deploying again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast