Thread: Home-Built AR

Feedback Score

Home-Built AR

Here it is...

I initially started off by wanting to modify my Armalite AR-10A2. But then I was thinking it would cost too much to do what I wanted to do to a perfectly good gun and thought I needed something a little smaller/lighter. An AR-15 fit the bill perfectly. I don't need a more powerful round because I already have a .308. So! I started off on the lower first while I researched the parts for the upper which took another two months. The lower used to have a Magpul ACS stock on it but that was eventually placed on the AR-10 because I hate A2 stocks and wanted the UBR anyway.

A not so quick breakdown of parts used... Magpul UBR Stock with .70 buttpad and Strike Plate which is awesome. 215 Gear Single point bungee sling and quick disconnect. Spikes lower with Spikes heavy buffer, Magpul BAD lever, trigger gaurd, and MIAD grip. (Battle Arms Development Ambi-Safety Selector soon to be installed (as of this writing I think it is sitting in the mailbox... lol!) And a Yankee Hill Machine Extended Rear Takedown Pin and Gapper. and the best part, A Wilson Combat 3G TTU! I love that trigger.

The upper! VLTOR MUR, Yankee Hill Machine Specter length Diamond forearm, YHM 14.5" fluted and chrome-lined barrel with 5C2 flash hider pinned and welded, Specter two-piece low profile gas block, Wilson Combat NP3 plated BCG, BCM/VLTOR Charging handle, Magpul XTM rail covers, and Magpul Gen2 BUIS, and AFG.

Extras -

Brite Strike Flashlight with Hi/Lo/Strobe mounted on a GG&G 1" light mount with the 0.9" adapter (and remote pressure pad not currently installed.)

Aimpoint CompM3 on a GG&G Cantilever mount with ARD Killflash.

Also, GG&G Harris Bi-pod mount and bi-pod I keep in my bag for the case I might really need to reach out and touch someone.

20 and 30 round PMAGs.

Next item to add - Aimpoint 3X magnifier on a flip-to-side mount.

I hope everyone liked the pics. It isn't a light gun by any means but it is freaking durable as all heck. I also don't mind the pinned and welded FH because of the two-piece gas block which has functioned flawlessly. I put this gun together mostly as a home-protection/bug-out gun...etc. But also to be as versatile as possible to meet just about any need I may have in any scenario. If I need to go bigger then I have the AR-10. If it is worth anything at all to anyone I've had ZERO FTF, FTE, or FTF in 2,100 rounds. I've shot Federal, Salt Lake, Tula Ammo, Remington, Hornady VMAX + TAP.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Looks clean man I dig it

Feedback Score
    Thanks! B.A.D.-A.S.S. has just been installed as well. Pretty nice I must say!

Feedback Score
    I don't know what profile your 14.5" barrel is but does it ballance out that heavy stock?

Feedback Score

I

I had the same barrel, got it direct from YHM, cycled everything through the 700 or so rounds that I had it, then I found out it was 4140 steel and they advertised it as "CMV", I called them on it and got a refund. Since I got it from the manufacturer, I paid much more than I would have from a distributor, I then took those funds and invested in a DD CHF M4 barrel which also has functioned very well.
    I've heard some differing opinions of the YHM rails, mostly good feedback outside of those who believe YHM is not suitable for hard use. I had purchased a YHM diamond rail(carbine length) and after some initial installation issues(due to myself)I must say, it has been rather solid. I had always intended to replace it with a DD rail of some type but didn't want to just waste the money I had in the YHM(didn't think I'd be able to get back out what I put into it). It has the anti-rotation screws but I staked the lock collar to the handgaurd itself.

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle! Well done!