Thread: I think what I have is called a "stone bruise" (ow..it hurts)

Feedback Score

I think what I have is called a "stone bruise" (ow..it hurts)

Well while portaging my mt bike down a sandy ravine that (after some rains) I deemed was too soft and unstable to ride down, I noticed I got a pain on my left foot. I think it happened when the ball of my foot impacted a root sticking out of the sand. Basically like blunt force object.

The middle of the ball of my foot feels swollen and as if there is a stone inside the bottom. No discoloration and unless you rub the ball of my foot, you rally cannot feel or see a bulge.

I feel it, when I try to walk or put too much weight on it. Not a sharp pain but dull and I have to walk and stand with little or no weight on the ball of my left foot.

This happened mid day, Sunday. When it happened, it did not hurt that bad, but I probably made it worse by biking a little longer, then doing a few chores around the house Sunday evening. Today, I am trying to stay off it as much as possible. I can walk but I have a slight limp due to me trying not to put weight on the ball of my left foot.

So with this "stone bruise" is is best to use ice or heat? Also, should I elevate it in the evening when resting?

Also, is there anything I should soak my foot in or maybe massage that might help?

The internet is full of suggestions but some cay heat others say ice. I just wondered what the experts here have to say and if anyone else has ever had this.

Thanks in advance for the help,
    -brickboy240

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Ice, rest, elevation, ibuprofen. When it doesn't hurt like the dickens you can try to roll your foot on a small ball (tennis, racquet, whatever). Unfortunately time is what it needs.

Feedback Score
    So basically like I treated plantar facitis?

...got it

It really only hurts when I stand on it and put pressure on the ball of my foot. Sitting down or laying down, I really don't have much pain at all in the area.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    So basically like I treated plantar facitis?

...got it

It really only hurts when I stand on it and put pressure on the ball of my foot. Sitting down or laying down, I really don't have much pain at all in the area.
    Pretty much. I had it, too, after trail running in crappy shoes. I call it phantom pain because there is no discernible evidence that it's actually there. Frustrating to have something so painful that won't show up on imaging and you can't otherwise 'prove.'