Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinned LoPro Gas Block

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I've seen neither effect function. 'fit and finish' doesn't necessarily mean something works. Warts and all the DDs works, it's really that simple.
    I feel that both of my issues were functional issues and not "fit and finish" warts. Both rough bores and a poor gas tube fit may cause a gas leak.

To be honest, it was my first DD product and I was a bit disappointed. It is a excellent design. The rough bores I felt were not as big of a deal as the loose gas tube hole. I tried two different gas tubes from two different vendors, both were loose. Both fit fine in Vltor and LaRue blocks.

I wanted to use the DD because I didn't want to dimple the barrel. Since the LaRue tube didn't fit over the DD block and due to the issues above I ended up making one dimple for the LaRue block that replaced it.

Chopping up a FSB is a fine plan if you don't ever plan on changing configuration back to a fixed front sight.
    Owner - BRD Engineering

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by comp1911 View Post
    I feel that both of my issues were functional issues and not "fit and finish" warts. Both rough bores and a poor gas tube fit may cause a gas leak.

To be honest, it was my first DD product and I was a bit disappointed. It is a excellent design. The rough bores I felt were not as big of a deal as the loose gas tube hole. I tried two different gas tubes from two different vendors, both were loose. Both fit fine in Vltor and LaRue blocks.

I wanted to use the DD because I didn't want to dimple the barrel. Since the LaRue tube didn't fit over the DD block and due to the issues above I ended up making one dimple for the LaRue block that replaced it.

Chopping up a FSB is a fine plan if you don't ever plan on changing configuration back to a fixed front sight.
    I just tried a couple different gas tubes in a couple different DD GB's. They went in smooth (without having to forced them). Is that your definition of "loose." If it is, that is not my definition. I kind of like that I didn't have to force the gas tube into the GB.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I just tried a couple different gas tubes in a couple different DD GB's. They went in smooth (without having to forced them). Is that your definition of "loose." If it is, that is not my definition. I kind of like that I didn't have to force the gas tube into the GB.

C4
    It may have been a bad unit, I can't say for sure. I don't have the precision tools to measure the difference between the DD and the others. Nor the stock you do to try a few of them. All I can say is it was the loosest fit I have encountered in my 10 or so years of working on these rifles. This is my experince, YMMV.

I've never had to force a tube into a aftermarket block. They have always slid in and stayed in with a friction fit. I didn't try it but I think the tube would have fallen out out the DD block if I would have tipped it over.

I'd run some more tests on it but I liquidated it on the TOS EE this weekend.
    Owner - BRD Engineering

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I've seen neither effect function. 'fit and finish' doesn't necessarily mean something works. Warts and all the DDs works, it's really that simple.

ETA: 'shaving' a FSB is also an option, it's not the prettiest thing but it works. Here's two I've done (I've done many but only take pics of these two). Both are LMTs and will fit under LaRue or DD Lite Rails.

refinished w/Norrels:

refinished w/GunKote:

Beautiful work!!!! When I cut down my front sight base, it was very time consuming and ended up looking like something a drunk 3rd grader had fabricated. Maybe I should have sent it to someone who knew what they were doing

Semper Fi,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
    ...it was very time consuming and ended up looking like something a drunk 3rd grader had fabricated...
    This is why I order all my barrels with single pinned Vltor or Noveske lo-pro blocks.

John @ Noveske or Steve @ ADCO do them much better than I ever could hope to....

I don't like having the drunk, retarded 3rd grader look going on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    This is why I order all my barrels with single pinned Vltor or Noveske lo-pro blocks.

John @ Noveske or Steve @ ADCO do they much better than I ever could hope to....

I don't like having the drunk, retarded 3rd grader look going on.
    I have a extra FSB laying around and a 3rd grader. He's not retarded, or drunk but I could let him loose on it with the dremel.

I'm guessing there would be blood.
    Owner - BRD Engineering

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think I hit mine with a hacksaw and a dremel and just worked it until it fit under the DD. Sprayed it with Krylon and I was done. Didn't seem like a big deal to me, and with it under the handguards I didn't care much how it looked.

Feedback Score
    With a handguard extended over the gas block does it make the handguard really hot?

Feedback Score
    Which diameter gas block will I need for an LMT M4 barrel? .750?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieB View Post
    Which diameter gas block will I need for an LMT M4 barrel? .750?
    You'll need the .750" (aka 3/4") one.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast