Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $3000 for a carbine

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

$3000 for a carbine

You have a budget of $3000 to spend for a new shooter, what do you buy? They are getting into this because they wish to defend their home and shoot for enjoyment. NFA is acceptable, the CLEO will sign.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You buy two Colt 6920's with Surefire X300's, Mossie Tactics Mount and slings. Spend the rest of the money on ammunition and magazines. Two is one, one is none.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'll play.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=

Add an Aimpoint H-1 on an DD mount and go shoot the barrel out at training classes.

And save up some more money for another tax stamp and a can. I'm not getting into the dogfight over what suppressor to add.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    rds! aimpoint

what IG said.
    Last edited by Shiz; 01-15-12 at 08:15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would do another shorty.

Thats me though. I would build my 12.5"

Depending on your training/background, I would listen to IG and get a couple Colts, that would be your best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    I don't post too much because there are a lot more knowledgeable guys around here, but I know $3000 is a lot of money to play with. I spent about $1800 (over time) on one rifle, a T-1, mags, sling and a spare BCG. I even overpaid for the rifle since I had to get it after Obama took office.

IraqGunz has perfect advice. Two standard Colts or BCMs will probably be a little over 2K when all is said and done with some mags and slings. Pay for a class and a case or two of ammo. Boom, you now have an extremely solid foundation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would concur with IG except I would personally prefer a pair of BCM LW middies. I'd also suggest saving a bit of that $3k to buy optics and useful accessories after the shooter gains enough experience to decide what they need and want. I would also see about including carry case, range bag, good eye & ear protection and maybe a shooting mat in the budget. Enough tools to perform simple maintenance and repairs. For carbine classes I'd guess gloves and knee & elbow pads as well.

2nd option- Instead of a second rifle, get the proper spare parts and get good coaching & training
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-08-12 at 22:56.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BCM EAG Tactical model, perfect setup IMO. Spend the 1k left over on ~2700rds XM193 and Froglube. Or a little less than 6k rds of Wolf and FL.

ETA maybe an optic if you don't already have one.
    Last edited by Dsm2nr; 01-08-12 at 23:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You buy two Colt 6920's with Surefire X300's and slings. Spend the rest of the money on ammunition and magazines. Two is one, one is none.
    I agree on the two is one and one is none philosophy but I think for a new shooter, maybe starting with one is alright.

Honestly, if I were starting out today, I would buy a stock Colt 6920, a sling (or just use the one in box), a thousand rounds of ammo, and sign up for a reputable two (or 3) day class. That is all (other than range equipment and cleaning supplies).

Doing it this way, you're down about $1600 and add about $300 for a hotel room and travel expenses. So at under $2000, you get a solid rifle but more importantly, you gain invaluable information from the basic class. You will know how to run the gun, break it down and properly clean and lube it. And you will have a better understanding as to which accessories are worth the investment. You'll also get to play around with other guys rifles if you ask first.

I also think it is a good idea to run irons the first time. I'm not anal retentive about it and circumstances vary, but for a new shooter, waiting will also give you a chance to see other optics in person before committing.

Eventually you will invest in a rail, light, better sling, and an optic.

I don't mean to sound like a dogmatic "training first" type but given the budget and intended purpose, I think this is a good way to go.

Just my $.02.

Note: If there is an existing threat to your friends, the situation is different. Light and optic become important immediately. Need the light to id threat and optics are much quicker and natural for a beginner to learn and use.

Edit to add: I say nothing about buying spare parts because this is a beginner. Instructors who teach beginning level classes should be able to make basic repairs on student guns or at least have a couple of loaners around. I know this is somewhat controversial but I believe that, at that level, it is the instructors responsibility to do so and to provide proper instruction on breakdown, cleaning, and to discuss a spare part list. After that, it is squarely the student's responsibility.
    Last edited by sboza; 01-08-12 at 23:55.

Feedback Score
    IMHO, IG gave the best two gun solution and JC gave the best one gun solution. You really can't do much better than the advice that they offered.

ETA: If that were my budget and did not include training or ammo, I would have a 6933 with C4 FSP Rail, T1, SF Mini Scout and a BFG sling.
    Last edited by Dunderway; 01-09-12 at 00:04.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast