Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: $3000 for a carbine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Buying a complete gun gets someone the most important skillset, shooting, faster. The way most of these people "build" their guns they take months to acquire all the "best" parts, and then just stick it in the safe when they're done anyway.

Go get a complete gun and learn to shoot it. Just because you put it together doesn't mean you know dick about how to maintain it. and the knowledgebase require to maintain it is much smaller.

Buy a gun, learn to shoot it and clean it (clean it the way it really needs to be cleaned, not some OCD cleaning) and lube it. Then worry about the fiddle-****ing.

Get to doing what you believe is the most important part first. If you think the most important part is fiddle-****ing, then fiddle-****.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    you can buy a 250 Rebel to learn on and then wish you had something bigger, or just buy the bike you want to begin with, and learn it just the same.
    or build the bike from scratch with a parts catalog and the internets?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    or build the bike from scratch with a parts catalog and the internets?
    and you're suggesting you can't?

there are more than ample resources available that state precisely what components are essential, and how to assemble them together.

So explain to me why its not easy to assemble your own AR-15? We aren't talking about machining or making anything, simply buying parts and assembling them together in a specific order.

its actually very straight forward process, as is building your own bike.
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 01-26-12 at 12:35.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The way most of these people "build" their guns they take months to acquire all the "best" parts, and then just stick it in the safe when they're done anyway.
    that is a completely fallacious assumption. You cannot assert that the "majority" of people behave in this way, and therefore try to void my entire argument with it. You are you, you can't speak for anyone else, you can make observations on those you know, but you can't say well everyone that builds theirs ends up ****ing it up because they just fiddle-**** it and spend months messing with it for it to just end up in the safe. Are there those that do, yes, but we cannot assert that everyone that attempts to build their own is that specific archetype.

that's called attacking a strawman

this isn't TOS... most if not all people here take pride in what they do, and don't strive to have the "best" when what they really mean is the
    "coolest looking"

for all we know, the individual this weapon is for could be a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, and capable of building anything.

I don't make the assumption that simply because he has labeled himself as "new", that he isn't able to follow instructions or use his brain to decipher problems.
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 01-26-12 at 12:47.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedreaux View Post
    Maybe a portion of the $3000 could be spent on a Dell and Internet connection so he can ask for advice on his own.
    Alright now I have to clean my computer screen! Very well put. If you hold someones hand how are they going to learn. Point them in the right direction and let 'em loose.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buying a complete gun gets someone the most important skillset, shooting, faster...
    I'm with Rob- This is the most important thing in this situation. The person in question has identified a potential threat and needs the means to deal with it now which requires a fully functional rifle that can be shot now. They need to place their full attention on shooting and tactics.

Building a rifle and worrying about barrel nut torquing & timing, staking all the right vampires and whether or not this stock will make their butt look big can come after the immediate concerns are dealt with
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-26-12 at 17:18.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011