Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $3000 for a carbine

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Here's What I would do with $3000 if I didn't have an AR:

$1100 Colt 6720/6920 or equivalent (DD, BCM, etc 16" Carbine)
    $250 Daniel Defense MFR Rail
    $600 Aimpoint Micro w/Larue or ADM mount
    $180 Surefire 6PX w/ VLTOR offset mount
    $100 VCAS Sling w/QD sockets and QD sling mounts
    $500 Dillon 550B w/ dies for 5.56
    $268 worth of reloading components

$3000 total
    Your prices are on the high side, but I agree.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-09-12 at 06:14.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    A new shooter isn't going to pick up that new joy stick and instantly know how to use it in an offensive situation. What good is a backup rifle if you're not proficient with the first one? A chunk of the budget should go towards quality training, mags and ammo.

I'd suggest getting a quality AR, optic, sling and weapon light. Through training you'll figure out what works or doesn't work for you personally (as opposed to the multitude of internet opinions) and get exposure to other configurations from fellow shooters.

For the money, a S&W M&P15 or Spike's rifle would serve as a good starting point. Personally, I'd spend a little more and buy a BCM blem complete lower and BCM 16" BFH mid length light weight upper with Daniel Defense Lite 12" rail. Optic choice would be an Aimpoint T-1 in a LaRue or Daniel Defense mount. A Surefire weapon light, like the X300, would serve you well. MBUS folding backup irons, BCM BCG and BCM Gunfighter charging handle to finish off the upper. You could configure the rifle this way for under $2k leaving 1/3 of your budget for training and ammo.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    This is a canned solution for someone who is starting with what I think is a budget that is a significant amount of most anyones yearly wage. The end goal is for them to buy from very few places. G&R seems to have them covered with the gun and sling. I think the IWC components negate the need for a rail although buying and upper and lower might yield a little more options and a gun that will likely never change as it will never be deficient for most needs. I will have a few packages priced out around lunch. Keep the suggestions coming, they are helpful.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ultimately a KAC SR15 sbr block III. I can't find the price, I assume it is too much though.

So then a Daniel Defense factory MK18 SBR.
    $1,587.00 + 200$ tax stamp. DD home page price don't know what street value is.

All from LaRue Tactical
    SureFire Mini Scout Light M300A w/ LT752
    $382.63

Aimpoint Micro T-1 4MOA/M4 QD Mount Combo
    $640.50

LaRue Tactical Padded Sling (VTAC w/ sewn in QD)
    $69.95

Q.D. 360 Push Button Swivel Mount
    $32.95

Mount-N-Slot QD Sling Direct Attach Mount
    $29.95

LaRue Tactical HandStop and IndexClip Combo, 74 Total Piece ...
    $42.95

DSG 30-Round Magazines "six pack" (w/ magpul followers)
    $62.03

Troy HK Style Front & Rear Sight COMBO
    $199.00

Total: 3247.41$

The price can be dropped to 2826.41$ by switching from the MK.18 to a

Daniel Defense M4V5 - LW NS from rainier for
    1366$

Only thing I did not include is ammo and a gun case. Other it is a total package only buying from two stores.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    11.5 Bcm

14.7 Bcm, dd etc

Rem 870

Go Balls Deep

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1x Colt 6920 and a case of ammo. Save the leftover money for things you want to get after you've put a thousand rounds through the gun. Things you'll want to get eventually:

Red Dot Sight
    Back Up Iron Sight
    Free Floated Rail
    White Light
    Formal Training

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    BCM light middy with a 12" DD rail, x300, aimpoint pro, sling, troy folding backup sights, drop the remaining 1000 bucks on ammo and training.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    As much as I want to agree with the Noveske recommendation, I probably wouldn't until the shooter is definitely committed to shooting and has spent some time around an M4/AR. Mine was my first AR, but I got it after I played with the shitty Colt's at BCT and AIT. If, however, they are already committed, I'd throw in my biased opionion but say get the 14.5" with switchblock and VIS. Just beacuse you can go NFA doesn't mean you have to right away. Use the the money you'd spend on the fees and such for an optic or ammo.
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-09-12 at 11:39.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    As much as I want to agree with the Noveske recommendation, I probably wouldn't until the shooter is definitely committed to shooting and has spent some time around an M4/AR. Mine was my first AR, but I got it after I played with the shitty Colt's at BCT and AIT. If, however, they are already committed, I'd throw in my biased opionion but say get the 14.5" with switchblock and VIS. Just beacuse you can go NFA doesn't mean you have to right away. Use the the money you'd spend on the fees and such for an optic or ammo.
    This is a better sooner than later thing. The area has had quite a few break ins and this person is committed to providing their own solution, as I understand it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    This is a better sooner than later thing. The area has had quite a few break ins and this person is committed to providing their own solution, as I understand it.
    Gotcha. While I understand the idea of having two, I don't necessarily see the reasoning. Either the Colt, or the Noveske, but just one. Its unlikely that either would go down, especially if the person knew how to properly service them. The way I look at it is the Noveske is just more of an upfront cost for all of its features, which appealed to me. It has a lot of great things to it, and will probably be enough to satisfy most people with their dream build. No sense in buying one for now, with intentions of buying a nicer one later, if the money is available now..
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-09-12 at 12:08.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast