View Poll Results: How important is emergency/tactical medical knowledge to you?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Essential! I've had some formal training and I'm alway seeking more.

69 48.59%
  • Very important! I have had some formal instruction or will soon.

49 34.51%
  • Somewhat important! I might do a class someday if I have time.

20 14.08%
  • Not important. I don't need it or I can learn what I need when the time comes.

4 2.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is emergency/tactical medical training to you?

Feedback Score
    Completely agree. Im an "old" Emt and definately out of practice. Been on the prowl for a course on >GSW courses in my area that updates what was taught 30 years ago.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you shoot them before they shoot you.. then you don't have to worry.....
    Actually, I would like to take some more Medic / first responder classes

I think in most cases, that skill would be more apt to be needed and used then any of my Firearm classes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh.. and who are the two Bucketheads who voted that they don't need it

Feedback Score

well...

...It's a lot more likely I'll need my medical training than I will anything else...ymmv...In any case, with at least some basic skills and equipment, you may help a comrade, family member, or stranger...
    It'd be a terrible feeling to watch someone circle the drain that didn't have to...

Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Medical training, like firearms training, is about the basics. You do not have to be a Dr. to save a life. Instead of taking firearms class, after firearms class, try taking just one medical related class.

A patent airway and adequate breathing is required in order to have a viable patient. M.H.O.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some may dismiss it or call it overboard, but I also try to PREPARE for a possible time in the future that 911 or a trip to the ER will not be FEASIBLE, or even possible... For some events, the ER may be the LAST PLACE you want to go...
    • nuclear/biological terrorism
    • pandemics (bird flu)
    • some form of societal collapse
    • natural disaster (earthquake/volcanic/meteor/etc)
    • you name it ?????

So in the same way I have a good emergency food reserve, power generation capability, rural location, etc..., I also try to have a well stocked MEDICAL & DENTAL KIT(s). Although I lack the TRAINING to use some of my gear in the kit, I'm learning more all the time. Plus, as I see it, it is easier to find a nurse/EMT/doctor than find the GEAR needed to do whatever is needed. I already know where several doctors live in my area (the benefit of living near a teaching hospital/university), so if some form of SHTF, I know where I can barter medical care for food, etc... If that fails (unlikely), then I have a good medical library to learn from...

In reality, if we truly think about it, with all our multi-mags, belt/chest rigs, maxed out AR training, if there was ever a time we would REALLY have to put that training into play, then I must assume that some kind of S has HTF and a 911 call and trip to the ER is NOT AN OPTION in that scenarios immediate future... It is my opinion that it is WISE to go BEYOND just a blow-out kit... I'm just say'in....

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I was a EMT-B/Firefighter 1 w/OWL-VFD in Woodbridge VA from 1992-97. I saw a lot of things and saw pretty much everything except for child birth medically. Running into burning buildings?, yeah that's just not natural but when it's your responsibility you just do it.

None of this was in a 'tactical' setting. But I saw quite a few gun shots and stabbings, lots of domestic violence, car wrecks...........I do think it's important to know CPR and basic first aid.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I was a EMT-B/Firefighter 1 w/OWL-VFD in Woodbridge VA from 1992-97. I saw a lot of things and saw pretty much everything except for child birth medically. Running into burning buildings?, yeah that's just not natural but when it's your responsibility you just do it.

None of this was in a 'tactical' setting. But I saw quite a few gun shots and stabbings, lots of domestic violence, car wrecks...........I do think it's important to know CPR and basic first aid.

You think running into burning buildings isnt natural,try a petro/chemical complex sometimes...Ive been a member of an industrial ERT team since '98 as a firefighter and EMT-B..

As far as the original question...I would strongly recommend EVERYONE that does any type of "tactical" shooting (or any other potentially hazardous activity)get certified to at least the ECA level(40hr class).As someone mentioned before,this isnt just something for the range,this is something that could very well save a loved ones life one day around the house...

Hopefully one day all tactical shooting class will dedicate a small portion of the class to the medical side of things covering at least wound care.Anyone ever heard of a driving class that didnt teach the students how to use the seatbelt ??

Anyone that has any interest, or uses a weapon as part of his/her job description I recommend training to at least a level of EMT-B..What happens if, god forbid, multiple teamates go down and your medic is one of them?? Are you going to know how to (a)deal with the threat (b)treat your teamate(s) until additional help arrives on scene??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Madsmiley View Post
    As far as the original question...I would strongly recommend EVERYONE that does any type of "tactical" shooting (or any other potentially hazardous activity)get certified to at least the ECA level(40hr class).As someone mentioned before,this isnt just something for the range,this is something that could very well save a loved ones life one day around the house...
    For those of us who don't know, could you explain the levels of training to us?

What is "ECA level"?

What are the levels of EMT and Paramedic training? Is it a nationally-recognized standard, or do individual states have their own levels?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I thought about taking EMT classes here locally for additional training, but all the classes are in the DAY and that is a no go... Need to make $$$ at job first...

As one who worked in a 24/7/365 job field for almost a decade, I can say I'm glad I am out of that field... That is why I could not be an EMT, as the hours suck. God bless those who do it though...

If someone has EMT classes available, I don't think you could get better training except in the military...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast