Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crimping in all its glory and ugliness

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... I was thinking the crimp my be bad... but I wasn't going to take my FCD die out of my progressive to run matchkings... so they get the same crimp as every other bulk load...

Turns out to be really accurate ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    so whats the most effective way of determining if a crimp is needed? check the COAL of a few random rounds in a magazine after a few shots?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by iracecars4fun View Post
    so whats the most effective way of determining if a crimp is needed?
    The most appropriate way is to use dial calipers to measre the OD of the empty case's neck. Then seat the bullet and measure again.

I'd say that the diff should be at least .002" for a gas gun... maybe .003"-.004"....

Too much more than that and you start deforming shit and getting bullet runout.

If you only have .001" in neck tension, the bullets might start moving back into the caseneck.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The most appropriate way is to use dial calipers to measre the OD of the empty case's neck. Then seat the bullet and measure again.

I'd say that the diff should be at least .002" for a gas gun... maybe .003"-.004"....

Too much more than that and you start deforming shit and getting bullet runout.

If you only have .001" in neck tension, the bullets might start moving back into the caseneck.
    Thanks for this... I knew there was something I didn't understand about crimping but couldn't figure what to ask.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Run several cases to make sure you don't make adjustments off of one sample.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12