Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 700yd (600 is ok) Precision(ish) AR - glass recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Good choice. I never considered a BDC precise enough for a precision rifle. There are too many variables. I do own two scopes with BDC reticles, but only consider them good enough to get me somewhere on a large target quickly.

For my precision rifles I prefer to dial my dope.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just put a vortex pst 2.5-10 on my spr. Fantastic glass for the price. I think you will be happy with the 1-4 as well

Feedback Score
    Good choice. It will do what you need, plus more up close. Mil/mil is the only way to go, imo.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm putting a SWFA 1-4 on my SPR.

On a side note, I know a Vortex dealer that has bottom line prices that I can pass along your contact to if you go that route.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm not trying to stir anything up, but does the rifle shoot sub MOA groups at 100y?

Sub minute @ 600-700 yards is no small task for a battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think you may be asking to much for your chosen rifle and scope combo. I have and regularly use a Vortex 1-4. It is a great scope and it works well, but you are asking a lot to be able to get consistent hits out to 600-700 yards especially considering you are use a CHF chrome lined barrel.

Matt

Feedback Score
    I would look at the SWFA 3-9 scope FFP MIL/MIL. A 16inch chrome lined barrel with good ammo should be able to make hits out to 700 yrds pretty consistently on chest size targets.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    So here's a quick update to the situation:

I swapped this:

for this:

Paperwork is pending with ATF.

I talked to my wife and my optics budget is now up to $1200. I was dead set on a used Nightforce 2.5-10 for the last 3 weeks and have been scouring the EE's here and at snipershide. I've also been doing a lot of reading. I thought that I'd rather have the 10X up top, but I really start questioning the 2.5 on the bottom. I look at what guys like Defoor, M4Guru, and KevinB are doing with their 4X optics (solid hits out to 600) and have just about talked myself back down to a 1-4 optic. I've looked at the NF 1-4, the USO 1-4, and the Vortex stuff again. Even with the $1200 budget, the Vortex has more of what I want (except maybe the DFP USO, but that's beyond the budget). I'm also starting to consider a used Short Dot if I can find one cheap enough, but I think $1500 with mount is about the max I could squeeze out.

So with the increased budget, am I missing any other good options? The Super Sniper is not a contender for me. I checked out a VX-R Patrol and the reticle was too fat and round.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ASH556; 02-22-12 at 11:01.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    LOL if you want me to throw another wrench into your plans take a look at IOR/Valdada's new generation 2-12x36 or the 1.5-8x optic. they are pretty awesome and have everything you are looking for basically.

once you look at it give Liberty Optics a call and get the street price from him. I have a feeling it will fall into your budget

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/p274.html
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post
    LOL if you want me to throw another wrench into your plans take a look at IOR/Valdada's new generation 2-12x36 or the 1.5-8x optic. they are pretty awesome and have everything you are looking for basically.

once you look at it give Liberty Optics a call and get the street price from him. I have a feeling it will fall into your budget

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/p274.html
    2-12 second focal plane seems like it would be a tiny bit limiting to me. I could see wanting to use the reticle at 7-12x, not just 12x.

Is the 2-12 better than the 2.5-10x FFP ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast