Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    300 blk or an SR25 ;-)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Borrow a ****ing deer rifle.

Unless your deer are really scrawny.

(every day this place gets more like TOS)
    I thought about posting something like this earlier but moved on instead. I wouldn't shoot a deer with a .223 unless it was all I had left and I was starving.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With good shot placement any of the quality barrier rounds work well. I have personally seen one large Michigan deer shot with the 62 gr TBBC and the damage was impressive. Best as I could tell the bullet path was close the heart and the heart split in four pieces.

Not ideal but serviceable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Borrow a ****ing deer rifle.

Unless your deer are really scrawny.

(every day this place gets more like TOS)
    Uh huh. Even though it's been shown time after time that .223 Remington is quite adequate for deer and similar-sized game, you dismiss it as being detrimental to this website to believe that.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Ballist...70gr_TAC-X.pdf

Care to tell me what's wrong with that for deer? Compared to:
    http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Ballist...68gr_TAC-X.pdf

That's data published by Barnes. I've loaded Barnes TSX 70 gr bullets to 2800 fps which according to the Barnes info, it won't hit their recorded impact velocity until around 130 yards. For them it gave 20" of penetration. The 6.8 SPC data from them had their TSX penetrating to 24" and yet the 6.8 SPC is regarded as a deer caliber unanimously.

Feedback Score
    The 3 best deer l've ever taken were with a bow, dropped 2 of them almost instantly, the other was my fault. But my point is, if a 125grn broadhead going maybe 300fps from my bow can easily drop a big southern ohio buck, a 70 grn tsx at 2800fps would be like cheating in comparison. Shot placement is the biggest part with any reasonable centerfire caliber.

Feedback Score
    I handload 55gr TSXs, they work great n deer. Several ammo compaies load these bullets.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've shot an awful lot of deer with a .223/5.56, with various rounds. Soft points, Nosler partitions, OTMs, VMAXs, M193, and I have a mag of the Barnes TSXs waiting for the next one. These are/were what I had at the time.

When I plan to harvest a white tail or mule deer, I take a heftier caliber, usually a .308. Usually a ~150gr SP.

it's been shown time after time that .223 Remington is quite adequate for deer and similar-sized game
    "Adequate"? Yes. Ideal, no. Like I said before, if you use a .223/5.56, for best results go heavy and get close. Heavy soft points or the new Barnes offerings look like your best options.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12