Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: let's see your scout rifle!

Feedback Score
    My Savage Scout, with Burris 2-7x Scout in Warne QD rings. GA Recce 7 suppressor. Not pictured is a Wilderness Tactical ching sling. Cheap stock saddle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Find what it is in life that you do not do well......and do not do that thing....

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    The daughter's "Practical rifle".
    I wanted to build her one, all around rifle. This is the final iteration. We started with a standard T3 .308 and cut the barrel to 20"s and had a brake installed. A wood stock was purchased and cut down for the years that she could not handle a full size stock. That worked out quite well.

Now her younger siblings will use that stock on their own T3s as they come of age.

The her rifle has worn 3 scopes. The 2.5-8 Leupold went back to the mothership 2 times as it would not track properly, before I finally sold it. Then I had an older American made Burris 3x9 on it. Great scope, but we hunt in areas where longer shots are the norm, so something different was called for. The SWFA 6X has proven to be a good choice. The daughter likes to dial for shots beyond what the rifle is zeroed for, so the turrets are ideal and the reticle is easy for her to understand when I am training with her.

With a 300 yard zero, she is very comfortable out to 400 yards, which is plenty far enough at this point in her shooting career.

Mine is below:

And the cow elk I took before Christmas.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Jazzed up my Scout by swapping Scopes and going Krazy with the Krylon.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Old never-used family hand-me-down Brazilian Mauser gets a new life as a Scout Rifle.

Not finished... but close. The 20" barrel will now allow it to fit in my gun cabinet. The Surefire Warcomp (matching my ARs) will allow for suppressor use, and possibly tame the already soft 7x57 recoil. The Vortex 2-7x32 is good at 2 to 4, but you kinda have to stretch your neck when you crank it up to 7. It may not stay. Thinking Leupold, or just a red dot. Then again, this rifle not built for high power optics... Could only find a scope cap for the objective lens at the LGS. I'll have to order one for the ocular lens if I keep it. It sits on a left over piece of picatinny rail section bolted to the milled rear sight base. The original plan was just have the scope mount sticking out through the top wood, but I seen that Hogue stock... The Hogue stock speaks for itself... so comfy. Had to have it.

Straight bolt was fine. Just got the bent bolt because the Hogue stock had a cut out for one, and would look weird with the straight bolt, but it works real well. I move my hand just the smallest bit, and the handle is right there. Good call Mr. Gunsmith.

Still up in the air on sights. Waiting on more funds, and finding ones that won't get in the way of stripper clip feeding. I may also spring for the XS scout scope mount in the future now that I went with the Hogue stock, as the modified original kinda looks clunky, but it does work...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 08-29-19 at 13:15.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    The Vortex scout scope I selected turned out to be not to my liking... at all. The eye relief changed quite a bit when you zoomed in to anything above 4 power. It got sent back today. I'll probably go either Leupold or Burris. Midway send me a prepaid return shipping label, so that was cool.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    A few pics of my Ruger scout in .308 with synthetic stock and the XS sights rail.

IMG_20180609_112723.jpg
    First blood

IMG_20190603_142428.jpg
    With the Leupold freedom scout scope

IMG_20190818_122539.jpg
    Current set up

P1010007.jpg
    Family photo

Feedback Score
    I went with a Hi-Lux (still a 2-7) I found on Ebay for cheap. It still changes eye relief when you crank it up to 7, but not as bad as the Vortex, and it's not like you really need 7 power on a scout rifle anyhow, so I'm just gonna leave it as is. It will sit on 3 power for the most part anyway.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I like the illuminated reticle on that. I wish the Burris was illuminated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast