Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: let's see your scout rifle!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    ColdDeadHands - great idea for a thread, a lot of us are thinking about this now that deer season is over.

Mark5pt56, what are your thoughts comparing a used Winchester Ranger Model 70 with the Featherweight model you mentioned? I believe the Rangers are not in production any longer, but I found a used one in VG condition. The crown is intact, and appears unmarked under a 10x loupe. The bore looks good, although I have not had it scoped. The trigger feels decent from a professional adjustment, and breaks right at 3.2 pounds.

I appreciate the advice about the Talley rings. I'm also looking at some used Leupold scopes on the various forums.

If this should be treated as a separate question rather than a post in this thread, I will be happy to move it or take it to PM's.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My stock RGSR, one of these days I'll get around to putting an optic on it, and maybe a muzzle brake. I really like this rifle, it shoots well and I have found it to be pretty accurate.

I need a better camera than my Droid.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    ColdDeadHands - great idea for a thread, a lot of us are thinking about this now that deer season is over.

Mark5pt56, what are your thoughts comparing a used Winchester Ranger Model 70 with the Featherweight model you mentioned? I believe the Rangers are not in production any longer, but I found a used one in VG condition. The crown is intact, and appears unmarked under a 10x loupe. The bore looks good, although I have not had it scoped. The trigger feels decent from a professional adjustment, and breaks right at 3.2 pounds.

I appreciate the advice about the Talley rings. I'm also looking at some used Leupold scopes on the various forums.

If this should be treated as a separate question rather than a post in this thread, I will be happy to move it or take it to PM's.

Thanks again for your assistance.
    As I understand they are a base gun, nothing wrong with them. The stock finish may not be as "pretty" but if it's a good price, why not? Internal mag I believe?

Check Natchez and others on the Leupold's because there will be a lot of clearances on them with the new models coming in.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yes, it is an internal mag. I'm fine with the stock on the gun, I do not lose sleep over the glossy finish on a hunting rifle. I prefer the glossy finish on the venison packages in the freezer.

Ah, good tip on Natchez for the scopes. I signed up for their email alerts. I'll keep an eye what they offer, and do more reading.

Thanks, and have a safe weekend.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Savage Scout with Burris 2-7 pistol scope with BDC. Found out about the pistol scope via the Lightfighter forums and even though I was skeptical, the eye relief does work out. I had a Steyr with the "correct" Scout scope and it didn't have enough magnification for my taste. I turned that Scout into this one and left a bunch of money in my pocket.

Around 3x (this is a very hard shot with an iPhone, BTW)

I could probably use a better sling but considering how often I shoot this (never), I'm in no hurry.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    Mine is simply a "practical rifle" as well.

Tikka T3 Lite stainless .308 chopped to 20"s.
    VTAC 2-point sling.
    Talley lightweight rings
    NightForce 2.5-10x24 w/NPR-2 reticle

I killed my elk with it last month. It is a sweet little tack driver. I have a bunch of 5 round mags from varmint models. They are durable and reliable like a Glock mag.

Overall, it has proven to be a stellar little lightweight carbine for everything from coyotes to elk.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Steyr Scout .308
    Leupold Scout Scope
    Ching Sling

Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast