Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: let's see your scout rifle!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Lost River, that is a very nice rifle and some beautiful photos. Congratulations on your elk, may it not be your last.

I am envious of you, sir. Thanks for posting the photos, it gives something to aspire to.

Feedback Score
    I have a Tikka Big Boar in 308. They do not import them anymore. I love the way it moves and feels in the hand. I have to look and see if I have some pictures.

Here's a picture of a stock photo of one:

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/581..._BOAR_308.aspx

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I played around with a Winchester 94 "scout" a few years ago, but don't have any pictures.
    At the time Burris made a mount and rings that mounted in front of the reciever by replacing the rear sight with a treaded base and drill / tapping the barrel band for the front base attachment point. Of course this took away the BUIS option unless you mounted Lyman or other peep sight on the receiver.
    If I remember correctly I got the idea from when Ted Yost was at Gunsight and was building a "tactical" lever gun during the bad ole AWB period. I always wanted to ask him what he did to make the loading gate smoother / faster to allow speed loading on the go, which was a part of what was advertised in the tactical lever gun package, besides the Burris forward mount and a Galco butt cuff and a Ching sling.
    Anyway, sold the 94 for some other project but kept the Burris mount / rings just in case I ever want to try it again.
    Last edited by Beachboy; 04-06-12 at 07:06.
    Send lawyers, guns and money the $#!+ has hit the fan...

Feedback Score
    my savage....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."

Col. Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Steyr Scout in .223

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    It all depends on what you want I guess. Of course there's the purist who sneer at anything other than the forward mounted scope.
    Remember, it's "your" need that dictates the set up.
    Light carbine with low power scope is a good general start.
    Purists do get a little carried away sometimes.

There are a few basic characteristics that define a scout. Purist forget that they aren't as rigid as you would think.

Here is the key characteristics http://www.steyrscout.org/project.htm

And as mentioned above, the forward mounted scope is NOT required to be a "scout".

It is my impression that Cooper felt over all weight, length, accuracy potential, and caliber was much more important to the concept of what made a rifle a "scout" verse just being another rifle.

According to Cooper, there are some good reasons to go with a low powered, forward mounted scope. his arguments for such a setup are worth of consideration.

While the forward mounted scope is an encouraged characteristic/feature, it's not defining one. simply having a forward mounted scope does not make a rifle a scout any more than not having one mean you don't have a scout.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    This is my Ruger GSR. No optic as of yet because I have been a bit strapped for cash. I threw on a spare BFG Vickers sling which works great in this application, and a Battle Comp BBAC. I hope to get a Burris or Leupold scout scope fairly soon, along with a ching sling to round out the package. I love this rifle, very light, short and handy. It is my only bolt gun and really is an "all purpose" gun.

"You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    CZ 452 Scout (22lr) in a military trainer stock - the squirrels nightmare...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWC4 View Post
    CZ 452 Scout (22lr) in a military trainer stock - the squirrels nightmare...

^^^ That one's definately in the beauty department!

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Whats nice is that I can swap the stock back to the original (in 30 seconds) so I have a gun I can lend out to kids or women who can't deal with an adult LOP.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast