Thread: M&P compact w/ extension vs. full size

Feedback Score

Question M&P compact w/ extension vs. full size

OK, I've got a dilemma. I'm just getting started in shooting competitively and my scores weren't near what I'd like them to be, and it seems pretty evident that my pistol shooting under time and pressure seems to be pretty much to blame. I've been carrying a pistol daily for a few years now and I've always stuck with compact guns as they're easier to conceal as that's the bulk of my use for them. I enjoy shooting recreationally but with budget limitations I've just stuck with my carry guns for the most part, never having bought a full size gun on its own. I'm not exactly on my way to Camp Perry but do alright considering how much time I've had to work with. However, with short grips there's the problem of shooting low because of grip pressure, something I work on successfully on my own at a slow to moderate pace, but it's still there and when the pressure's on and I'm moving and working fast it comes out again. Being that it's a .40 compact, the recoil which I don't usually mind shooting again becomes a disadvantage vs. people shooting full size 9's.

So the question is can I close the gap getting full size M&P magazines to use in the M&P compact I already have and add those grip extensions? How does that compare to having a full size gun on its own? I can pick up an M&P 9 for something in the 400's but I could do 4 full size mags for $125 plus maybe $10 each for grip adapters. I know I don't get the full benefit of the extra sight radius from the longer slide, but can I at least get close to having the full size grip to avoid the grip dip problem? Yes yes, I know, I am going to practice more, but won't I do better having something that's working to my advantage rather than disadvantage?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've shot my 9c with 17 rd mags with and without the x grip to fill the gap. I actually really like the way the compact handles with a larger mag and extension. The main issue I ran into was in reloading, it's very easy to pinch skin between the x grip and base plate as well as between the x grip and frame. This creates problems seating the mag and is quite annoying. I contemplated using some adhesive to keep the x grips in place on the mag to at least reduce the pinch point at the base plate but the pinch point at the frame will remain. Maybe chamfer the x grip slightly to reduce this? The x grip does slightly compress when inserting the mag as well and this is a bit irritating. It's a neat idea but I didn't find it practical running the x grips. I generally run the 17's bare in my 9c.

Hope this helps a bit.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62