Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fixing" the auto-forward in my m&p.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

"Fixing" the auto-forward in my m&p.

I found this thread concerning a fix for the auto forwarding in M&P's.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...de-action.html
    Has anyone tried it, and what has been your experience since the mod? I'm at a point where I want to either eliminate this feature of the gun or switch to a different make.
    "After extensive research, I picked this rifle because it came with bullets"

Feedback Score
    I think I am going to give it a try. I dont' care for the auto forward either, but I'm not going to get rid of the M&P. If you decide to go to another platform I think I can find a good home for your 9mm.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Personally I wish they would design pistols to do this. Some of the guns I have owned would do this and its much faster for reloading and I have never had one that did not feed a round. The problem comes when it does not drop forward when you expect it to.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The problem comes when the auto-forward of the M&P kicks in inadvertantly and you end up with a failure to feed or an empty chamber. It is the sole reason I dumped the M&P9 platform in favor of the 9mm Glock.

I have owned 3 M&P9 (9mm's) and they all suffered from some form of feed-way stoppage relating to the auto-forward malfunction.

Ball/FMJ ammo feeds fine in the M&P9's. Hollow point ammo not so much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-w2i7OWkyY
    Last edited by nickdrak; 01-15-12 at 01:24.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    The problem comes when you attempt to rely on the auto-forward of the M&P to chamber a round and you end up with a failure to feed or an empty chamber.
    This.
    I had it happen to me a few days ago(In my case, it was an empty chamber). Even when I de-mongo my reloads, I have a hard time keeping it from auto forwarding. If I can't rely on a round chambering when it happens, then I don't want it to happen.
    Last edited by MookNW; 01-15-12 at 01:19.
    "After extensive research, I picked this rifle because it came with bullets"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MookNW View Post
    This.
    I had it happen to me a few days ago(In my case, it was an empty chamber). Even when I de-mongo my reloads, I have a hard time keeping it from auto forwarding. If I can't rely on a round chambering when it happens, then I don't want it to happen.
    My original post was edited to more accurately represent my experience with the 9mm M&P platform.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    I might have to give this a try. I am going be switching to the M&P as a carry platform and right now my M&P 9 FS auto forwards only every so often. Right now if it does happen I do a tap rack because I do not want a click. Every time so far a round was chambered and essentially I could be throwing life saving ammo on the ground. Not a good feeling but who has the time to do a press check during a reload? However perhaps a press check should be used? FWIW I had a Glock 23 gen 3 that would auto forward if you inserted the mag just right.
    Last edited by durus5995; 01-15-12 at 02:16.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This.
    I had it happen to me a few days ago(In my case, it was an empty chamber).
    The last class I was at this happened to one of the M&P shooters who relied on auto-forwarding for reloads. I'm now sold that it's bullshit and a major training scar.
    "Remember, if it doesn't violate the BYU Honor Code, it's not worth doing"
    -Daniel Tosh

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I found this thread concerning a fix for the auto forwarding in M&P's.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...de-action.html
    Has anyone tried it, and what has been your experience since the mod? I'm at a point where I want to either eliminate this feature of the gun or switch to a different make.
    What he did was not a "fix" for the auto forward although he may have made it less likely to happen with full engagement of the slide stop to the slide.

A true fix would be to change the angle of the interface surfaces so they lock together. Although this will also make releasing the slide by pushing down on the slide catch nearly impossible for those that employ this method.

From the left side looking at the slide catch it is slightly like this "\" and would need to be changed to this "/".

Or just stop SLAMMING your mags home like a caveman.
    Doug Holloway
    ATEi

Feedback Score
    My M&P9 had a slide stop that was so hard to press I had to use two thumbs and even then it was difficult. I think S&W went too far the other direction to solve the auto-forward issue.

I sent it back to S&W and they installed a new slide stop. Now it works perfect. No auto forwarding and it's still easy to press.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast