Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero Targets Optimized for Red Dot Style Optics (Aimpoint, EOTech, etc...)

Feedback Score

Arrow Zero Targets Optimized for Red Dot Style Optics (Aimpoint, EOTech, etc...)

I wanted to share some targets I created to assist in zeroing my red dot optics. I was always unsatisfied with using other targets to zero my red dot as I felt as if I was guessing whether or not to dot was correctly centered over the target. I created these to address my concerns and they have worked quite well and definitely speed up the zeroing process. I also have shot tighter groups using these targets.

These targets are designed to take advantage of the human eye's natural tendency to center an object within a circle. Using these targets will save time and ammunition while at the same time providing tighter groups for a better zero.

The target is ‘calibrated’ for use at 50 yards to obtain the 50y/200m improved zero for the AR-15 rifle/carbine or a 50 yard zero for AK-47 variants.

The target consists of:
    • 1 MOA center ‘zero’ dot
    • 2 MOA green inner dot to correspond with 2 MOA optics
    • 4 MOA red outer dot to correspond with 4 MOA optics
    • Larger black ring to assist in centering the optic’s dot over the center of the target.
    • Bold gray cross-hairs to assist in centering the reticule on the target.
    • Grid lines with click adjustment references and adjustment dial references

When the target is correctly placed at 50 yards, the optics dot will completely cover the colored portion of the corresponding target. The black ring will assist in correctly centering the optic over the target for a near perfect hold (depending on if you do your part). Just shoot your groups and use the adjustment references to quickly move your point of impact. This should speed up the zeroing process and provide an extremely accurate zero at the same time.

Example:

Download the target in .pdf format HERE

Just make sure your printer scaling is set to NONE / ACTUAL SIZE and you should be good to go.

I hope this can be useful to others.

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero

Here are 25 yard targets that will give you a 50/200 yard zero when used properly when you only have access to a shorter range. These were made to work with standard AR sight height (2.6" - 2.8" over the bore) using averaged M193 / M855 velocities from a 16" barrel. These should also help those using different rifle setups (barrel length) and/or heavier grain bullets get close.

Place the target at 25 yards. Your point of aim should be at the colored / bold outlined portion of the target. Fire your group. Adjust the point of impact to the GRAY DOT in the middle of the target. If you follow the adjustment grid it will get you there. The math works out to give you a 50/200 yard zero.

Be careful to keep the optic's dot centered within the optic itself as much as possible when zeroing at this range as it is not entirely parallax free at 25 yards. Also, be sure to verify this at 50 yards when you can as there may be slight differences in each weapon that may alter the zero (sight over bore height, co-witness, barrel length, ammunition used, etc.).

25 Yard Target Example:

The Aimpoint 25 yard - 50/200 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 100 yard zero

Same instructions as the adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero, only these are calibrated to give a 100 yard zero. Again, be sure to confirm your zero at 100 yards given the chance.

Example:

The 25 yard - 100 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 300 yard zero

Same instructions as the adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero, only these are calibrated to give a 300 yard zero. Again, be sure to confirm your zero at 300 yards given the chance.

Example:

The 25 yard - 300 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

I encourage anyone who uses these to leave feedback in this thread for future improvements or suggestions. If there are any other targets you'd like to see (different calibers / loads) let me know and I'll will work something up.

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero

Here are 25 yard targets that will give you a 50 yard zero when used properly when you only have access to a shorter range. These were made to work with low mount AK optics that allow co-witness (2.25" over the bore) using averaged 123gr 7.62x39mm velocities from a 16" barrel.

Place the target at 25 yards. Your point of aim should be at the colored / bold outlined portion of the target. Fire your group. Adjust the point of impact to the GRAY DOT in the middle of the target. If you follow the adjustment grid it will get you there. The math works out to give you a 50 yard zero.

Be careful to keep the optic's dot centered within the optic itself as much as possible when zeroing at this range as it is not entirely parallax free at 25 yards. Also, be sure to verify this at 50 yards when you can as there may be slight differences in each weapon that may alter the zero (sight over bore height, co-witness, barrel length, ammunition used, etc.).

25 Yard Target Example:

The AK red dot 25 yard - 50 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 100 yard zero

Same instructions as the adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero, only these are calibrated to give a 100 yard zero. Again, be sure to confirm your zero at 100 yards given the chance.

Example:

The AK 25 yard - 100 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 300 yard zero

Same instructions as the adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero, only these are calibrated to give a 300 yard zero. Again, be sure to confirm your zero at 300 yards given the chance.

Example:

The AK 25 yard - 300 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

10 Yard RMR / Pistol Slide Mounted Optic Zero Target

These work basically the same as the rifle targets, but are designed for the Trijicon® RMR and similar optics that use a 1 MOA adjustment. I used a 10 yard zero as this gives a 10 yard and 50 yard zero using a 9mm. Other calibers should be similar at typical pistol ranges.

Example:

The 10 Yard RMR / Pistol Slide Mounted Optic Zero Target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

I encourage anyone who uses these to leave feedback in this thread for future improvements or suggestions. If there are any other targets you'd like to see (different calibers / loads) let me know and I'll will work something up.

Also check out these targets 25M improved zero targets I created based of the common US Military Zero target. They have adjusted zeros for 50/200M, 100M, and the standard 300M zero:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95226
    Last edited by thecolter; 08-12-20 at 07:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What has your feedback been on how close the "50 at 25" zero targets have been?

Awesome post, bookmarked (sticky?)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    What has your feedback been on how close the "50 at 25" zero targets have been?

Awesome post, bookmarked (sticky?)
    They have been dead on for me and others who have used them reported the same.

I tested them transitioning between the 25 yard target placed at 25 yards and the 50 yard target at the correct 50 yards during the same string. POI's fell within the adjusted gray portion of the 25 yard target and also within the red portion of the 50 yard target.

This was with both XM193 and XM855 out of a 16" barrel. The only issue I see is using different ammunition with different ballistics. I don't think it would be too far off though.
    Last edited by thecolter; 01-15-12 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!!! Need to do some zero work and these look like the ticket.
    We are the first Warrior class in any Civilization to be provided with weapons and no belief system...... Dave Smith

Feedback Score
    Great post, thanks.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you very, VERY much for making these and sharing them.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thank you for sharing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikerFired View Post
    Thanks!!! Need to do some zero work and these look like the ticket.
    Let me know how they work out for you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This looks outstanding. Definitely going to give these a try. What do you imagine the difference would be on the 75 grain stuff like.Hornady T2?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"No one is more hopelessly enslaved, than the person who falsely believes he is free."
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsutton View Post
    This looks outstanding. Definitely going to give these a try. What do you imagine the difference would be on the 75 grain stuff like.Hornady T2?
    I just threw the data from Hornady's site in my ballistics app and it looks like the 75 grain T2 TAP round will impact -1.1" @ 25 yards for a 50 yard zero. This is with a muzzle velocity of 2660 fps. The adjusted 25 yard / 50 yard zero targets above have the adjusted POI dot at -1.2", so they should get you really close. Maybe just adjust your POI slightly lower on the 25 yard adjusted target.

Also, the 50 yard zero will also yield a 50/180ish yard zero using 75g T2 instead of the common 50/200 yard zero that you get with 55 / 62grain loads.
    Last edited by thecolter; 01-16-12 at 07:14.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast