View Poll Results: Which $300 Optic?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Holosun HS503CU (Circle dot, Shake Awake, etc)

5 83.33%
  • Strike Eagle 1-6 / PA 1-6 / other $300 LPVO (Please Post if "Other)

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help: Holosun HS503CU vs Strike Eagle 1-6 / PA 1-6 / other $300 LPVO

Feedback Score

Newbie needs help: Holosun HS503CU vs Strike Eagle 1-6 / PA 1-6 / other $300 LPVO

I have been saving up for a while and was all set to buy a Holosun HS503CU ($255) when I made the mistake of looking at some of the newer budget LPVs, such as the strike eagle 1-6, the primary arms 1-6 and a few others that currently sell for around $300. I've been around rifles for a while, but don't have much experience with optics.

The rifle this is going on is a budget 16" 5.56. My intended use is as a General Purpose Rifle/SHTF Rifle. I live in a hilly, heavily wooded, suburban area and I doubt I could ever get off a shot much more than 200 yards, much less that I will be justified in taking that shot. The rifle might be used as a backup for home defense (I prefer 9mm for inside the house). currently, the longest range I have access to is 100 yards. whatever optic I get, my priority will be quick shots of 100 yards or less. if I could also take longer shots, that would be a nice bonus. magnification would also be a big bonus for positively identifying threats. based on the ranges I would need it, I think 6x or even 4x would be the max I would need. I understand that neither of these choices are "Combat Proven" optics but the budget is what it is.

I have read lots of opinions saying that LPVs are the way of the future, that they are better than a red dot for my intended use. I'm not disputing that. I've also heard that when it comes to LPVs, you get what you pay for. so here's my question: is a $300 LPVO (not counting the cost of a budget mount) worth it over a $300 red dot?
    Last edited by bronconut109; 08-03-20 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    For those distances i would be going with a rds. I would also be patient and look for a used aimpoint pro to pop up for sell on an EE. They are 300-350 with a mount.

Holosun has a mostly good rep and if going budget your best option. Something like Primary Arms new 2x prism could be a consideration as well

If you do go with a LPVO the Vortex PST 2 can be had around $500 on sale. I know it sucks to spend more, but if this is HD type gun worth it imo. I would say the Burris RT6 is a really good value option. I would go PA Raptor FFP over the strike eagle.

Swampfox Optics 1x6 Arrowhead is also a good option.
    Last edited by everready73; 08-03-20 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    From your description, I would second the aimpoint pro and a set of backup iron sights.

I am not an expert but if you sight in at 50yd with a red dot, you should be able to hit targets up to 250yd with the same hold.

The most expensive Vortex LPVO is still not a red dot at 1x because of the eye relief and eyebox limitations, although they are much better than budget options.

Feedback Score
    thanks for all the advice, thats kinda what I was thinking. with my specified goals, a red dot would probably be faster.

just out of curiosity, would it make a difference if I were to bump my price range up to $400 (Not counting mount)? thats close to the price of a new Aimpoint and puts me in range of the following LPVO's:

SWFA SS 1-4
    Vortex Viper 1-4 (On Sale/used; I believe this is only available as gen 1)
    Burris RT6 1-6
    PA Raptor 1-6
    Burris MTAC 1-4

would any of these or other $400 LPVOs be worth it or better than the other? I know that a red dot fits my current goals best, but magnification is tempting. also it would allow me to take longer shots if i wanted to.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Gen 1 Vortex Viper 1-4 is a fine scope with good glass and very forgiving eye box at 1x. It was so popular Vortex have actually re-released it as the Vortex Ranger, which you can find brand new for between 320 and 360. Nice reticle. But... and this is a general problem across the board with scopes generally under 500...the illumination is not 'daylight bright' or red dot like.

If you want a scope with a truly bright center red dot for that 'best of both worlds' feel, you will have to step the budget up another notch to that 5 to 600 mark where you can find the Steiner 1-4 and Vortex Viper Gen 2 1-6 which both have this.

I just upgraded from an original Viper 1-4 (which is going on to my M@P 15-22) to a Gen 2 Viper 1-6 which I managed to get an open box deal on for 489. Just got it mounted up and will be at the range with it this weekend.

If you absolutely can't bump your budget any further than 400....I think from your list of I was starting from fresh I'd probably go for the Burris RT6, but could be swayed to a Gen 1 Viper /Ranger if a great deal presented itself.
    Last edited by SA80Dan; 08-04-20 at 23:36.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bronconut109 View Post
    I have read lots of opinions saying that LPVs are the way of the future, that they are better than a red dot for my intended use. I'm not disputing that. I've also heard that when it comes to LPVs, you get what you pay for. so here's my question: is a $300 LPVO (not counting the cost of a budget mount) worth it over a $300 red dot?
    They are vastly different optics. An LPVO isnt just a red dot with magnification. Theres a huge weight and balance penalty over a RDS and unless you get alot of trigger time behind your LPVO you will always be faster with a RDS. You need alot of reps to achieve timer parity with a RDS.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 08-05-20 at 11:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For the distance you're working within and your budget, the red dot gets the nod. You'll get a lot higher quality optic with a $300 red dot than you will with a $300 LPVO. And at your distances, the red dot gets you on target faster, and is less bulk, anyway. The Holosun as others have said, is likely to be the best choice in your budget. The Holosun are being tested in hard use, and recommended by some of the industry 'name brand' training guys to their students, so somebody out there thinks they are good enough to rely on. Just be aware that the Holosun are made in China, but really any decent $300 red dot you can find is likely to be made in China. So if you have an issue getting Chinese-made stuff, as some of us do after their latest actions, you might want to save your funds and look for a used Aimpoint red dot.

Another option to consider if you get say a $300 red dot: you can add a 3x magnifier behind the red dot. Give you a magnification option for increased precision and P.I.D. out to 600. If you select carefully, a red dot + magnifier can weigh a bit less than an LPVO, but give you best of both worlds in the sense of fast on-target in normal ranges within 100y, but still giving you some precision beyond 100. Example: if you're gonna get a Holosun, then check out the P.A. customized version with their ACSS reticle. Right on that page they give you a discounted link to their P.A. 3x LER magnifier that goes with it, those 2 items together would a just a bit over $300, total weight 13oz, and that includes the mounts. Pretty nice setup for a budget red dot and magnifier.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I definitely agree with everything everyone has posted.

LPVO weight penalty sucks and unless you’re spending about double your budget you won’t have a daylight bright red dot.

PS 5.56 penetrates less inside a house than 9mm

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Also agree with everything being said and suggest a red dot (preferably a used aimpoint).
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I want to throw the new Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x Firedot into the mix. The red dot is daylight bright and has motion sensing activation feature so you can leave it on and the battery will last for a while.

I've had a PST Gen 2 1-6 and recently got the Leupold. Here are my observations of the Leupold vs. the PST G2:

Pros:
    Daylight bright dot with longer battery life (about the same brightness as the G2 on max)
    Very clear glass, not very much behind the G2, and the Gen2 has awesome glass which is not very much behind a Razor Gen 2 :P
    Very forgiving eye box and consistent eye relief (better than G2 IMO)
    Lightweight at 12oz. With a Aero precision mount, you'll be right at 1lb. For sure better than the Gen2 at 22oz alone.
    Price between $350 - $400 if you look around. You could spend a little bit more to get the AR Ballistic Firedot but that would put you out of the budget. I personally don't see the need for it.

Cons:
    1.5x -not a 1x but this can be mitigated by shooting with 2 eyes open and a closed front cap. The G2 is better in this regards.
    Push button for illumination. It can be annoying. G2 is way better with their rotary knob and the off in between
    Not as "duty" grade as other but for home defense and hunting, I think it should be fine. I mean it's not like anything under $500 is "duty ready" anyway. The G2 seems to be more rugged but a lot more weight at the same time.

It's great to have so many choices, isnt' it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast