Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Zero Targets Optimized for Red Dot Style Optics (Aimpoint, EOTech, etc...)

Feedback Score
    Wow. I wish I had these last week. These look great, I'll try them out this weekend if weather permits.
    The Authority is not the Truth. Truth is the only Authority.
    Truth Is Hate to Those Who Hate Truth.
    Love of power is the manifestation of evil.

"When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes.
    Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."
    - Napoléon Bonaparte

Feedback Score
    Thanks for making these. I will give them a try. I like the adjusted 25 yd zero target. Good for the indoor range during winter weather.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Very interesting as I am constantly updating the targets I've created for my own use, trying to optimize for different kinds of sights and different distances. Target format--shape and size, makes a big dif when shooting for groups and when trying to get the perfect zero. And getting 30 rifles zero'd for a class is always a chore.... we use a simple black trapezoid with a 1" circle about 1 1/2" below it as a 25 yard target-- sights on the base of the trapezoid, impacts in the circle, gives the guys what's pretty close to a 100 yard zero.

Colter, may I ask what program you used for this? Makes for a very professional result.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Very interesting as I am constantly updating the targets I've created for my own use, trying to optimize for different kinds of sights and different distances. Target format--shape and size, makes a big dif when shooting for groups and when trying to get the perfect zero. And getting 30 rifles zero'd for a class is always a chore.... we use a simple black trapezoid with a 1" circle about 1 1/2" below it as a 25 yard target-- sights on the base of the trapezoid, impacts in the circle, gives the guys what's pretty close to a 100 yard zero.

Colter, may I ask what program you used for this? Makes for a very professional result.
    Ned,

I'm using Adobe Illustrator CS6.

My thought with these targets was to take advantage of the human eye's natural tendency to want to center an object within a circle. They started out as something I wanted for my personal use, but friends and other shooting buddies ended liking the targets as well.

Feedback Score
    Great idea, I'll give them a shot also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Feedback Score
    Taking them out to the range on Sunday to sight in my new Tavor with a Mueller Speed Shot.

Thanks for the hard work on creating these!
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by phlydude; 03-27-15 at 12:34.

Feedback Score
    Updated the original post with AK-47 specific adjusted 25 yard targets for those who shoot commie rifles.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Man these things are awesome!! Took my AR w/ a T-1 on it and was dialed in pronto. Back up to 100 yards and was right on. Backed up to 300 yards with a full size silhouette, aimed for the head and was planting them right in the chest. I'm going to print out some of the AK version and take that baby out too. Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    Anyone know how to change these targets into a picture? JPEG maybe? My printer id giving me fits. It will print photos, Powerpoint or Word docs... but not the Adobe file.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 09-24-15 at 12:02.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Just a heads up on the AK series, the adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero and the adjusted 25 yard targets for a 100 yard zero are the identical target.

thecolter I pm'ed you a while back but didn't know if you use pm's or not. Very cool targets, thanks for taking the time making them and for sharing.

Also, a 300 Blackout series would be awesome to round out the 14.5"/16" collection. Have you considered an SBR group?

Quote Originally Posted by thecolter View Post

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero

Here are 25 yard targets that will give you a 50 yard zero when used properly when you only have access to a shorter range. These were made to work with low mount AK optics that allow co-witness (2.25" over the bore) using averaged 123gr 7.62x39mm velocities from a 16" barrel.

Place the target at 25 yards. Your point of aim should be at the colored / bold outlined portion of the target. Fire your group. Adjust the point of impact to the GRAY DOT in the middle of the target. If you follow the adjustment grid it will get you there. The math works out to give you a 50 yard zero.

Be careful to keep the optic's dot centered within the optic itself as much as possible when zeroing at this range as it is not entirely parallax free at 25 yards. Also, be sure to verify this at 50 yards when you can as there may be slight differences in each weapon that may alter the zero (sight over bore height, co-witness, barrel length, ammunition used, etc.).

25 Yard Target Example:

The AK red dot 25 yard - 50 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded

Adjusted 25 yard targets for a 100 yard zero

Same instructions as the adjusted 25 yard targets for a 50 yard zero, only these are calibrated to give a 100 yard zero. Again, be sure to confirm your zero at 100 yards given the chance.

Example:

The AK 25 yard - 100 yard zero target in .pdf can be downloaded HERE

I encourage anyone who uses these to leave feedback in this thread for future improvements or suggestions. If there are any other targets you'd like to see (different calibers / loads) let me know and I'll will work something up.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast