Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damaged ammunition disposal in city.... help?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Damaged ammunition disposal in city.... help?

Got a bent casing at the neck of one round of Federal M855 ammunition. Live in the inner city and was wondering how to best dispose of this safely. Nearest range they can be shot at is considerably far away and I need to get rid of it but I don't want it to AD in a dump truck or something. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Right now I have it tip down buried 3/4 of the way in the dirt in the front yard. It is bent pretty bad. Obviously it cannot be seen from where it is and you must know right where it is to find it as the grass is a few inches high.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's several things that could be added, but if you're that concerned about it go buy an inertia bullet puller at your local gun shop. Put it in the puller & pull the bullet from the casing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    use a multitool and pull the bullet.

Dump the powder in your driveway, use a lighter. Quick little fire, no bang.

I think the brass and primer would fine in a dumpster.
    OEF X-XI

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Throw it in the garbage, it's not a grenade.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Holy **** me running this is a question?
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaughrey View Post
    Holy **** me running this is a question?
    Don't be a dick. Would you prefer I take a punch and hit the primer in the most densely populated direction? I thought I was doing the responsible thing. **** off if you don't have anything helpful to say.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Don't get bent out of shape. But seriously how long or how much do you know about firearms and ammunition. Granted being safe is one thing but I do however question your application of self reliance and common ****ing sense.

PS don't call me names. I would appreciate not being referred to a phallic member by which you seem fond of.
    Last edited by jklaughrey; 06-02-12 at 22:19.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaughrey View Post
    Don't get bent out of shape. But seriously how long or how much do you know about firearms and ammunition. Granted being safe is one thing but I do however question your application of self reliance and common ****ing sense.

PS don't call me names. I would appreciate not being referred to a phallic member by which you seem fond of.
    I apologize for responding like a prick. I just don't want to be responsible for any damage/pain caused by a needless potential accident I may be able to prevent.

I have NO experience with disposing of live damaged ammunition in the city. I just want to be sure I am doing it properly, anything else on my part would be irresponsible.

In the chemistry lab you learn to be careful, because an accident can still cause serious injury or death. It doesn't matter if you meant to do it or not. That is why I am the way I am.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Having spent time in controlled environments with dangerous material I can understand your concern. However in the real world use your best judgment that would be applicable to situation. In any case I have 1000s of live rounds and other items deemed explosive or dangerous. I am not burying them in the dirt. Keep it stored with rest of your ammo until next range trip. Or if overly concerned use a kinetic puller or multi tool and separate components and dump powder in water.

Overthinking simple things will make you old and grey very fast.
    Last edited by jklaughrey; 06-02-12 at 22:32.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast