Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New/First Build, waiting to start

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
    I assumed that the naval special warfare command would teach me how to shoot pretty well, but thats another conversation I don't wanna get into.
    what are you going to do between now and then? I understand you don't want to get into it, but again if you want to be a SHOOTER and not an OWNER, and don't have a money tree, it's part of the equation. If you can afford to build your dream gun, go to a training class, change out the parts that didn't work out, and get regular practice after your class, plus pay for the magazines and ammo that are required to do all of this (not to mention ancillary items) then by all means assemble the dream gun. I am dead serious. But when we give advice it's typically done with the idea that budgets, and time, are limited.

This forum started out very training-centric, and those of us that have been here since the beginning are still so. In recent years we've seen a LOT more threads like yours where a person reads the forums, collects their list of ideal parts, and then wants opinions. The thing is that many of us also made that mistake personally, and if we had it to do over again we'd start out simply with the gun and go learn to shoot it.

So what you are saying is get a cheap ar and spend the rest of the money on mags,ammo, etc.?
    Less expensive? yes. Cheap? no.

I see from the posts above that you're now thinking of getting a Colt. I think this is a great move as it will get you the best likelihood of having a functioning and reliable carbine. There are other brands that are very close, and others that even exceed in in certain areas, but in terms of across the board, the Colt is the way to go.

However, as mentioned in previous posts by me and others, "close up work" and "long range" tend to be at least somewhat mutually exclusive, and if you're thinking long-range is where you'll spend most of your time the Colt may not be it. Conversely, I will bet that at this stage the Colt will be more accurate than you with quality ammo.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoland66 View Post
    That's it, a colt plus aimpoint pro will set you back about 1400 including shipping,
    we keep doling out that advice, but when I went looking for a PRO to buy I couldn't find one that wasn't LE restricted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    what are you going to do between now and then? I understand you don't want to get into it, but again if you want to be a SHOOTER and not an OWNER, and don't have a money tree, it's part of the equation. If you can afford to build your dream gun, go to a training class, change out the parts that didn't work out, and get regular practice after your class, plus pay for the magazines and ammo that are required to do all of this (not to mention ancillary items) then by all means assemble the dream gun. I am dead serious. But when we give advice it's typically done with the idea that budgets, and time, are limited.

This forum started out very training-centric, and those of us that have been here since the beginning are still so. In recent years we've seen a LOT more threads like yours where a person reads the forums, collects their list of ideal parts, and then wants opinions. The thing is that many of us also made that mistake personally, and if we had it to do over again we'd start out simply with the gun and go learn to shoot it.

Less expensive? yes. Cheap? no.

I see from the posts above that you're now thinking of getting a Colt. I think this is a great move as it will get you the best likelihood of having a functioning and reliable carbine. There are other brands that are very close, and others that even exceed in in certain areas, but in terms of across the board, the Colt is the way to go.

However, as mentioned in previous posts by me and others, "close up work" and "long range" tend to be at least somewhat mutually exclusive, and if you're thinking long-range is where you'll spend most of your time the Colt may not be it. Conversely, I will bet that at this stage the Colt will be more accurate than you with quality ammo.
    Would quality ammo include lake city 855 or pmc bronze?

So now I'm at either colt AR 6720 or SP 6920. Do either have any problems or benefits I should know about?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
    Would quality ammo include lake city 855 or pmc bronze?
    No, well, not really. What I'm talking about from an accuracy standpoint is something like Black Hills 75/77 grain, or some of the heavier loadings from ASYM ammo. With heavier, quality ammo like this I've seen ~1.5 MOA out of "milspec" barrels, and just under 3 MOA with "milspec" ammo like XM913. I was shooting ASYM's 55 grain training ammo out of a 16" lightweight barrel last week an seeing ~2 MOA with a 4x optic.

So now I'm at either colt AR 6720 or SP 6920. Do either have any problems or benefits I should know about?
    The 6720, and perhaps you know this already, has a 0.625" dia barrel from chamber to muzzle (with slight variations along the way). The 6920 has a 0.625" barrel from chamber to front sight, at which point it grows to ~0.750" from there forward, with the exception of the notch for mounting the M203 grenade launcher. IMO the 6720 is the smarter profile for commercial purchase, and is the best option for a new shooter starting out. The barrel profile difference between the two results in a negligible, if any, accuracy difference but a lighter weight where it is felt more (forward of the support hand) and should you decide you want to free-float the barrel you can easily grind down the stock FSB and install any rail of your choosing over it. Some will bemoan the fact that both are a carbine-length gas system vs. a mid-length but IMO this is a non-issue. If you want to start fiddle-****ing with the felt recoil you can add brakes and buffers.

Feedback Score
    are there any drawbacks to the pencil barrel, such as how many rounds it can take, barrel lift, or accuracy? now I'm looking at that 6920 and it seems the same as the 6720 except for barrel/carry handle. And if you weren't aware,(sounds like you think I've never shot one before) I've shot a lot,well,3, ARs, probabley 2000+ rounds, but I just haven't bought one yet.
    Last edited by Falconman; 01-17-12 at 17:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    we keep doling out that advice, but when I went looking for a PRO to buy I couldn't find one that wasn't LE restricted.
    Try PSA-
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...fle-optic.html
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123