Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new 12 gauge, but can't decide.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

In the market for a new 12 gauge, but can't decide.

I'm on the fence between a Benelli Super Nova Pump (18.5"), a Remington 870 TACT, or a Mossberg 590. Out of the three, I am not sure what is the better. The configurations I am looking for are a pistol grip/stock with ghost rings. Rails are a bonus but not a must. I have handled all three, but I am not sure which, again, is the better. The Nova feels smoother, but the 870 is tried and true, and the 590 comes with a lot of extras, and the 590 and 870 have a slew of add-ons than the Benelli.

This is primarily for 3-gun with home defense on the side.

Need help, since I am not quite versed in scatterguns.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Go with the 870. It will smooth out over time. The 500/590s would be second on my list with the Benelli below a good used Ithaca 37.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score

590 a

Mossberg 590 A1. A little heavy, but great shotgun. Military uses it.

Check the video. You'll be sold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmdMNwSxEcs

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The 590's safety position is suboptimal for use with a pistol grip stock. I'd stick with an 870 in that case even though I'm a diehard 590 guy.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: I work for Suarez International as a customer service representative.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ursus.peracto View Post
    Mossberg 590 A1. A little heavy, but great shotgun. Military uses it.
    The Mil quite often uses the lowest bidder!
    The 590 is fine, but the 870 is a more sound weapon from the perspective of someone who works on them for a living. Plus, the pistol grip stock thing is a total deal-breaker against the Mossberg (unless you're never going to use the safety ). Benelli Super Nova doesn't even make the list.
    Last edited by Buckshot TX; 01-16-12 at 22:50.
    "The road to hell is paved with flip-flops" Claude Werner

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So what is the down side of the Super Nova? I thought the action was very smooth, and the shell extraction chamber, and feed ramp were larger for reloading is tactical fashion, or speed reloading.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 870 has greater part support than the Benelli. I've shot the Benelli goose hunting and it isn't bad but if you want to add a shorter stock, mag extension, adjustable stock, sights, speed loaders, etc. it is going to be cheaper and easier with the 870 or the Mossbergs.

As far as smoothness goes the 870s become slicker with use. For your stated purpose I would go with the 870 failing that the Mossberg but if you're in to the Benelli go for it.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    in my book 870 hands down parts are easy to find ,you can configure it in many different ways I Love my 870 tact I added scattergun tech ghost rights side saddle and it is ready to go I am looking to mount a light down the road .

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'll throw in another +1 for the 870. The more rounds you fire, the better it seems to get. Seriously, they are really hard to beat and there are a ton of parts to be had.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't like the shell plate(Lifter?) on the 870. Seems too easy to snag your thumb, or fumble a round under stress and jam it up.

The 590 has nothing blocking the mag tube with the pump forward.

So, it was 590 for me. I've owned and operated both, if that matters.

Edit: Another thought, I prefer the thumb safety of the 590. Like an M4, I don't have to move my trigger finger around to engage and disengage the safety.

Edit again: Also, my short little fingers can't reach the slide(Pump?) release on the 870. On the Mossberg, my middle finger rests against it.
    Last edited by wake.joe; 01-17-12 at 09:56.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast