Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new 12 gauge, but can't decide.

Feedback Score
    I have a 590A1 and love it. So you would think that would be my answer to your question, but if you are married to the idea of putting a pistol grip on the gun I would recommend the 870. I agree that the lifter and slide release on the 590 are much better however.

Feedback Score
    I know everyone's default answer to this question is always the 870, but given my experience, It depends on WHAT 870 you're looking at.

If the Police line, I say yes. If the Express line, I say look at the Nova or 590A1 more seriously.

Feedback Score
    I own and shoot bot the 590A1 and the 870. My 870 is an older Express Magnum, and is used for hunting only. The 590 is around to shoot for fun and as an option in a HD situation.

I personally do not like a pistol grip on a SG so the safety position isn't an issue on the 590, I actually prefer it.

From a hunting/recreational shooting stand point I don't see a functional difference. Go with whatever you prefer. I have had no issues with either, other than changing a worn mag spring on the 870, they both have functioned without issue.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My local gunshops have the 590 in stock, but most have that Blackwater propaganda paint on it. They are tempting as they are what I am looking for. But I have trained with the 870 and know it pretty well, so it is my primary choice.

But the Supernova is cheaper, and man is that action smooth.

Tax time I am going to grab one if I don't find a good semi-auto first. But the 870 is at the top of the list.

Kuddos for the Police model...if I can find one.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    870P or 590A1. The Nova is fine as a sport/rec gun.

If you insist on a pistol grip, the Mossbergs are out.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I have the SuperNova with the Regular stock and pistol grip. It's a nice gun but it is not intended forheavy use. It's a sporting gun by design and there is not a lot of aftermarket support for it. Don't get me wrong, I really like my SuperNova. But if I had to use a shotgun for HD or competition I would go with an 870.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    I'm on the fence between a Benelli Super Nova Pump (18.5"), a Remington 870 TACT, or a Mossberg 590. Out of the three, I am not sure what is the better. The configurations I am looking for are a pistol grip/stock with ghost rings. Rails are a bonus but not a must. I have handled all three, but I am not sure which, again, is the better. The Nova feels smoother, but the 870 is tried and true, and the 590 comes with a lot of extras, and the 590 and 870 have a slew of add-ons than the Benelli.

This is primarily for 3-gun with home defense on the side.

Need help, since I am not quite versed in scatterguns.
    This soldier should not be allowed North of the Light Line.
    CPT HM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    870P or 590A1. The Nova is fine as a sport/rec gun.

If you insist on a pistol grip, the Mossbergs are out.
    I was in the same situation a while back. I couldnt make up my mind between the 870p or the 590a1. So i bought them both.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just wondering why you are not considering semi-autos (at least as far as this post is concerned). What semi-auto would you pickup if found one?

I ask because I would like to shoot some 3-gun matches this year if I can find one around, and have been looking at semi-autos recently.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I want a semi-auto, but it is coming down to affordability, due to the semi-auto(s) I have in mind.

Benelli M3 or M4.

Remington 1100.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    Some questions based on comments made.....

1. How "heavy duty use" is required for home defense?

2. Was not the 870 designed as a field gun for shooting ducks, grouse, etc?

3. Why would you use any pump gun in 3 gun competition?

4. If the gun comes with ghost rings sights, is already smooth to cycle, has an action release that allows you to eject the chambered round without loading another, and has aftermarket sidesaddle and magazine extension made by some of the best companies in the industry, who cares who many sub-par aftermarket parts are available for other model?

If you want to see what works and what doesn't....go take several 4 day tactical shotgun courses and watch what breaks, jams, falls apart, etc.

Mauser KAR98K, there is no down side to the SuperNova. I've ran one through several tactical shotgun courses....worked like a champ and didn't have to be replaced by a rental gun like I've seen occur with the other two models you mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast