Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In the market for a new 12 gauge, but can't decide.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    I want a semi-auto, but it is coming down to affordability, due to the semi-auto(s) I have in mind.

Benelli M3 or M4.

Remington 1100.
    M4 all the way. It is the most bad ass shotgun there is, hands down. Get a Hastings extended length choke tube for slugs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot TX View Post
    The Mil quite often uses the lowest bidder!
    The 590 is fine, but the 870 is a more sound weapon from the perspective of someone who works on them for a living. Plus, the pistol grip stock thing is a total deal-breaker against the Mossberg (unless you're never going to use the safety ). Benelli Super Nova doesn't even make the list.
    I disagree. Many years ago the USMC security force unit I was assigned to had Winchester 1200's, Remington 870's and Mossberg 590's. The shotguns were heavily used and fired. The Winchesters were very problematic and were usually left on the ready rack. The Remington 870's were excellent but slightly less reliable and more prone to parts breakage than the 590's. The Remingtons were older and Im sure that certainly played a role but I cannot ever recall one of our 590's having a failure of anykind.

The safety on a 590 is in the perfect position with a full stock. With a folder it's a real hinderance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I disagree. Many years ago the USMC security force unit I was assigned to had Winchester 1200's, Remington 870's and Mossberg 590's. The shotguns were heavily used and fired. The Winchesters were very problematic and were usually left on the ready rack. The Remington 870's were excellent but slightly less reliable and more prone to parts breakage than the 590's. The Remingtons were older and Im sure that certainly played a role but I cannot ever recall one of our 590's having a failure of anykind.

The safety on a 590 is in the perfect position with a full stock. With a folder it's a real hinderance.
    I don't really see where you disagree with me _
    I said that the 590 is good. It is a solid weapon & a step up from the 500. In fact, it is the only pump gun I'd seriously consider in the same bracket as the 870. I stated that the 870 is an easier weapon to maintain & repair & I stand by my experience in that area.

Your experience in the USMC was between 870s that were, if memory serves me, last purchased by the Corps in the mid-late '70s vs 590s that just began coming on line around 1986 & are still being procured. I have to call "Duh" to the fact that your 870s were very long in the tooth & were likely well past due a rebuild. Best case scenario, is that the 870s had been in that rack about 10 years longer than the oldest of the 590s. Not a fair comparison in my book. ALL pump fighting shotguns are sporting weapons adapted to Mil/LE/Defensive purposes - they weren't designed from the ground up for hard duty & none of them hold up indefinitely as military rack weapons without preventative maintenance & component replacement. Frankly, I'm often impressed by just how much abuse a good pump gun can take & keep on ticking.

Oh, and don't get me started on Winchester 1200s

Again, my comments about the 590's safety were clearly directed towards its usage with any sort of pistol grip stock, fixed, folding or PGO - you must release your firing grip on the gun to operate the safety . The 590 safety is perfectly acceptable with a conventional stock (as long as you get one with a steel safety & not the craptastic plastic one - yes, I've seen 590s that were shipped with plastic safety buttons just like the Walmart specials!). I'm not saying that Remington hasn't had their share of "issues" occasionally occuring with 870Ps in the last year or so, either.

Thank you very much for your service, Sir.
    Last edited by Buckshot TX; 02-18-12 at 00:04.
    "The road to hell is paved with flip-flops" Claude Werner

Feedback Score
    Get an 870, had mine for years, beat it to hell, still works like new, also there are so many things you can add to it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123