Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sighting a rifle scope at 25 yards for 100 yards

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Does this work bass ackwards?

If you want your weapon to be dead on at 25 yards on the theory that you'll face the most opponents at that range or less, yet still want the capability to know where your rounds are hitting at 100 yards, could you assume that your rounds will be 1.5" high at 100 yards?

In other words, let's say you want to put your dot right on the center of a head shot at 25 yards, but would still like to engage at 100. If your dot is right on the nose at 25, would you assume that you need to hold your dot on the chin at 100?

Or do I have this all wrong? (Sorry I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this).

EDITED TO ADD: I looked back at some of the trajectory charts and it does not seem to work that way for a 25 yard zero, at least not without some other additional holdover or something. The IBZ chart for a 50 yard zero seems to indicate that you can do this.
    No you want your zero to cover a wide range of distances you could find yourself in without having to remember to hold over or under. The 50 200 yard zero is about the best as it puts your bullet with in 2.5 inches of your pont of aim from 0 to 250 yards. With a 25 yard zero you will be 4 to 6 inches high at 100 yards if you needed to make a head shot you would miss. This is what causes most new shooters to do poorly at three gun in their first few matches with the rifle. They simply don't know where their rifle hits because they don't understand trajectory.
    pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I have an Eotech but that is not what I am trying to sight in. I am trying to sight in a variable zoom scope. The range is only 25 yards. I want to zero my scope as closely to 100 yards as possible. I had heard from somewhere that to get a 100 yard zero at 25 yards your point of aim should be about 1.5" above your point of impact. Is this true?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army44 View Post
    I have an Eotech but that is not what I am trying to sight in. I am trying to sight in a variable zoom scope. The range is only 25 yards. I want to zero my scope as closely to 100 yards as possible. I had heard from somewhere that to get a 100 yard zero at 25 yards your point of aim should be about 1.5" above your point of impact. Is this true?
    Yes thats try set your optic up t hit approximately 1.5 inches below your point of aim.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    how close to do you have to be before the optic over bore issue starts?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xjustintimex View Post
    how close to do you have to be before the optic over bore issue starts?
    It is a constant concern for precision placement and varys in severity depending on zeroing method.

Most crucial at 3 to 15 meters, which is one reason that I have a high preference for a 100 meter zero, as it "flattens" the close range trajectory and alleviates the need to remember different hold-overs, giving broader "chunks" of hold over distance as opposed to other zeroing methods.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12